Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2021, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #84691
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I see your great uncle Bernie joined in on the festivities, and was fully prepared with his knitted mittens. Does he always look like a sourpuss?

He should have chosen better footwear though, loafers aren't so good in the snow.

Oh, and he needs a toque to keep that shiny noggin warm, eh?
Quite right, about loafer not keeping feet warm. When I was a kid I used to wear moccasins, with inner felt linings and then of course the obligatory woolen socks that my grandmother would kindly knit me.

Much warmer than hockey games/practices, where I wore uninsulated hockey skates, with regular socks and if it was cold, plastic bread bags over the socks.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/e0/b7/bce0b730066bcc8bf0271c505cbc7226.jpg

Locally made garbage mitts went on our hands, which I still wear on days like this (-27 last time I checked)...here are the items.

From long experience, I can attest that these are the warmest mitts you can wear, which I still use.

Raber Mens/Womens GARBAGE MITTS? ? CAA Manitoba

01-26-2021, 02:03 PM - 2 Likes   #84692
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't wear mitts or mittens while keeping notes in a field book or making a sketch.
Tough doing it wearing gloves. I'm surprised I never got frostbite.
01-26-2021, 02:41 PM - 2 Likes   #84693
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Can't wear mitts or mittens while keeping notes in a field book or making a sketch.
Tough doing it wearing gloves. I'm surprised I never got frostbite.
Did you ever try those gloves where the woolen ginger covers would flip back, attach to the back of the glove with velcro and leave your fingers and thumb free ?

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.5HwZ7IAkFESkUAaDVoL1wwHaHa?w=203&h=203&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.25

I've tried them for early spring, late fall fishing, but didn't try them for too long as I found them too clumsy. But that might of been me.
01-26-2021, 02:45 PM - 3 Likes   #84694
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Speaking of haggis, that's what we had for dinner yesterday, in celebration of Burns night.
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
It's also a pretty good caulk. Wash your hands well after using.
Exactly.

01-26-2021, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #84695
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Cooking successful Yorkshire pudding seems to be a bit of a black art. I have never tried to cook them myself but Ms CharLac v2.0 used to try and try and always ended up with the collapsed variety.
You could be right. I think it's a secret passed on from mother to daughter.
01-26-2021, 03:24 PM - 3 Likes   #84696
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Did you ever try those gloves where the woolen ginger covers . . . . .
Woolen ginger covers?

I prefer my gingers uncovered.

01-26-2021, 03:28 PM - 4 Likes   #84697
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You wouldn't want to join Bert on a unicycle ride, then?

https://youtu.be/sFUcxnvAeMc
I'll see your unicyclist and raise you a Fred Dibnah (pucker up, Racer!):–

Go on, search YouTube for more examples of his exploits and note the lack of body harness or umpteen safety features. Remember he earned his living this way, it wasn't done for the Tube (although TV led to his fame) and no, he didn't die after falling from something tall.

Fondly remembered!

01-26-2021, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #84698
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Lot's of snow today in Toronto... Winter has finally arrived this is the first real storm we have had, going to head out to shoot some shots this afternoon,
Shoot it Eddie.

01-26-2021, 03:33 PM - 3 Likes   #84699
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You did address it, didn't you?

https://youtu.be/b5f_yDLZBaA
Yes, but he forgot the zip code, so it's somewhere at the depot yet.
Wee sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie,
Chance o' arrivin', not in the leastie

Last edited by StiffLegged; 01-26-2021 at 04:07 PM.
01-26-2021, 03:38 PM - 3 Likes   #84700
Veteran Member

Did you ever try those gloves where the woolen ginger covers would flip back, attach to the back of the glove with velcro and leave your fingers and thumb free
Yes, I tried a pair and didn't like them either.
Mostly I wore plain old brown cotton Jersey gloves, with a few dry spares in case conditions were wet, although we rarely worked in the rain. We had a saying, First drop hit's you it's God's fault, second drop hits you it's your fault. Snow didn't slow us down much.
01-26-2021, 03:41 PM - 2 Likes   #84701
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I'll see your unicyclist and raise you a Fred Dibnah (pucker up, Racer!):–

https://youtu.be/3_DAEwSM_YU

Go on, search YouTube for more examples of his exploits and note the lack of body harness or umpteen safety features. Remember he earned his living this way, it wasn't done for the Tube (although TV led to his fame) and no, he didn't die after falling from something tall.

Fondly remembered!
Ah yes, Fred Dibnah. I've seen many videos of him at work, tearing down chimneys, scaling buildings to inspect, repair. His was a labour of love, for he had a passion for his work. Watching videos of him on a tall chimney wasn't quite the ordeal for me as the unicycle stunt was, as Fred approached the day's work in a deliberate and calculated manner, with a keen eye on safety.

He was also a tinkerer, had a working shop with all manner of machinery to do work with, and had an old steam traction engine that folks would see him chugging through the neighborhood on.

Fred Dibnah, the last of the great steeplejacks.

RIP
01-26-2021, 05:15 PM - 6 Likes   #84702
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Speaking of gloves-------------
A few weeks ago we went to Rapid City. On the way we stopped, as usual, at Wall Drug for doughnuts. (Mmmmmmm, doughnuts), In the clothing department I found some nicely insulated Polar Fleece gloves for $9.95. What a deal! While (whilst) I was looking at them the clerk said "everything is 25% off". Two pair of really nice insulated gloves for $15.00.
Attached Images

01-26-2021, 05:27 PM - 6 Likes   #84703
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Speaking of gloves-------------
A few weeks ago we went to Rapid City. On the way we stopped, as usual, at Wall Drug for doughnuts. (Mmmmmmm, doughnuts), In the clothing department I found some nicely insulated Polar Fleece gloves for $9.95. What a deal! While (whilst) I was looking at them the clerk said "everything is 25% off". Two pair of really nice insulated gloves for $15.00.

Great deal on the gloves....but Wall Donuts.

I still remember last time we were there. We bought some...six donuts I think....to share on the trip....share you know, husband and wife, like.

Normally I'm the soul of generosity....but to my distress....I somehow...and only after the fact...came to the realization...that I ate every last one of those delicious Wall donuts. Not as much as left a crumb for my wife.

I tell you, I still feel, just terrible about wolfin' down...no strike that.... finishing off every donut.

I guess sometimes people just get caught up in the moment....
01-26-2021, 05:57 PM - 3 Likes   #84704
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Great deal on the gloves....but Wall Donuts.

I still remember last time we were there. We bought some...six donuts I think....to share on the trip....share you know, husband and wife, like.

Normally I'm the soul of generosity....but to my distress....I somehow...and only after the fact...came to the realization...that I ate every last one of those delicious Wall donuts. Not as much as left a crumb for my wife.

I tell you, I still feel, just terrible about wolfin' down...no strike that.... finishing off every donut.

I guess sometimes people just get caught up in the moment....
I'm thinking the remainder of the trip was pretty quiet.
01-26-2021, 06:12 PM - 3 Likes   #84705
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Since not being from your parts
Is it fair to say that Mrs Les does not like Wall dognuts ?