Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2021, 12:39 AM - 3 Likes   #85366
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Nup not really ..... is a bagpipe a musical instrument ?
In the same way as Velveeta is cheese?

02-12-2021, 02:01 AM   #85367
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Back in the late '60's, 1968-'69 ....my boss at the time had a '67 MGB. When I first started working there, I still had my first car, a '61 VW Beetle. Deluxe model.

Anyways, his MGB was off limits to me. That is till I traded my '61 V-Dub in on a '67 Camaro RS Coupe with a 327 cube V8, 4 speed Muncie transmission. Also had those wide, red line tires that were popular on muscle cars of the era.

Things changed. Within a couple of days he wanted to try my , as he called it, my red hot Camaro and I could take his MGB for a spin.

The MGB was actually quite a nice car, not a powerhouse with it's 1.8 liter, 4 banger, twin SU carbs, but it could get out of it's own way, if you gave it the whip. I was surprised at how much legroom it had. I'm 6' 3" + and could actually stretch my legs out fully, with the seat all the way back. It handled well, sounded sporty, braked well and accelerated reasonably well . Everything about the car, was well balanced as a true sports car should be, in my humble opinion.

It was the convertible, or as the English said back then, a drophead. At least I think that is what they called it. Quite a beautiful car, every line was perfect. This was an MGB that was made before those huge, 5 mph bumpers were attached...which looked terrible.

The '67 with small bumpers, looked very sharp. Always thought that on the narrow, winding lanes of England this would be a wonderful car to drive in a sporting fashion.
I can't remember the MGB being called a drophead. I thought convertible was commonly used in the UK. Did it have an overdrive button on the gear stick, assuming it was manual transmission?

02-12-2021, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #85368
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I was a kid, reading Hot Rod magazine (1960's) I used to read about Hot Rodders using Dzus fasteners. I was always fascinated by this method.

Dzus fastener - Wikipedia
QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
They're still widely used throughout motorsport today.
My race Z has a dozen or so.
02-12-2021, 03:04 AM - 3 Likes   #85369
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Never seen that. A bit like a larger version of a Camlock fitting.
Camlock and Dzus both work the same. A receptacle with a wire spring and a quarter turn button (usually captive in the panel or part being attached).

Some require a tool to attach and remove, some have an integral wing.

Some buttons come loose when removed, but are more commonly captive to a fixture permanently attached to the panel.

02-12-2021, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #85370
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I can't remember the MGB being called a drophead.
I don't remember MGs being called drophead here in Oz either.
But Jaguars were certainly called dropheads judging by cars I saw at a Jaguar Club rally recently.
02-12-2021, 05:20 AM - 3 Likes   #85371
Veteran Member

I traded my '61 V-Dub in on a '67 Camaro RS Coupe with a 327 cube V8, 4 speed Muncie transmission.
I traded in my 1963 Chevy Impala in 1967 for a red convertible 1967 Firebird HO, 350, 4 barrel, with auto tranny.
No AC, just power steering and brakes, and a radio.
Wish I still had it, in mint condition. I paid something like $3,500, the inflation calculator says that's about $27,300 in today's USD.
I was making $100 a week as a surveyor's apprentice.
02-12-2021, 05:41 AM - 3 Likes   #85372
Veteran Member

I'm about half way through The Dig. I watch a bedside tablet each night to prepare me for sleep, and boy do British films help.
Actually, it's pretty darn good. The spoiler #2 gave about the appearance of a Rolleiflex happened last night. Made me want to dig out my Yashica Mat 124G.
The only knock about the accuracy of The Dig is there's no sign of a grid to tie down each item found. Maybe they didn't do that in the 1930s?
Seeing the treasures being uncovered made me want to dig out my metal detector. Problem is, my stooping or kneeling to dig a read days are over.
#2's digressing is starting to spread!!

Last edited by robtcorl; 02-12-2021 at 07:03 AM. Reason: typo
02-12-2021, 05:46 AM - 2 Likes   #85373
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a an old Sears Craftsman Ball Peen hammer, that has helped me 'persuade' recalcitrant metal.

I'm probably misusing it, but it still seems undamaged and is my go to hammer for rough metal work, like 'fixing' my garage door lock's box and strike plate, specifically the strike plate ,
which built up an edge or small metal 'wall' through frost/heat expansion and contraction shifting of door frame.

A few hammers using judicious amount of force and well placed accuracy of hammer blows...soon flattened the strike plate allowing the door to close smoothly again, as the build up metal on the strike plate was creating a metal barrier that stuck the door in place. No damage.

Glad my Ball Peen hammer did the job, as it's the only ball peen hammer I have...I don't have a larger hammer, which would of been the next step.
I have an old hand forged cross peen hammer that is close to 200 years old. Still use it. Makes me wonder how many people have wielded it over the centuries. Came from an old (circa 1820) carriage shop.

When I got my first job as a gas station the mechanic once told me: "Never force anything. Just get a bigger hammer."
02-12-2021, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #85374
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I can't remember the MGB being called a drophead. I thought convertible was commonly used in the UK. Did it have an overdrive button on the gear stick, assuming it was manual transmission?
It was a manual transmission. Not sure, if MG even had an automatic available in '67. Maybe, but I don't think so.

Can't recall if it had an overdrive. My drives were all confined to the city, mostly downtown, so it was usually just first to third for me.

I recall the British overdrive system as the name was wonderful. I believe they were Laycock de Normanville units, which also puts me in mind of the 3 speed bicycle unit on the English Glider bicycles. They were made by Sturmey-Archer. Great names.

I had a Glider bicycle but it was just a single speed.
02-12-2021, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #85375
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I have an old hand forged cross peen hammer that is close to 200 years old. Still use it. Makes me wonder how many people have wielded it over the centuries. Came from an old (circa 1820) carriage shop.

When I got my first job as a gas station the mechanic once told me: "Never force anything. Just get a bigger hammer."
That old cross peen hammer would be a treasure.
02-12-2021, 08:57 AM - 2 Likes   #85376
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I traded in my 1963 Chevy Impala in 1967 for a red convertible 1967 Firebird HO, 350, 4 barrel, with auto tranny.
No AC, just power steering and brakes, and a radio.
Wish I still had it, in mint condition. I paid something like $3,500, the inflation calculator says that's about $27,300 in today's USD.
I was making $100 a week as a surveyor's apprentice.
Real, nice cars. The '63 Chevy full size, to me was one of the best looking cars on the road. Styling was wonderful. I bet the first year ('67) Firebird with the high output (HO) 350 V8 would be worth quite a few bucks nowadays. My father, after the war had a '41 Mercury convertible and back in 1990, I came across a similar Merc, which had been restored and was worth 28 Grand USD. I recall him being quite surprised, but at the same time, this was a car that he had wished he still had.
02-12-2021, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #85377
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm about half way through The Dig. I watch a bedside tablet each night to prepare me for sleep, and boy do British films help.
Actually, it's pretty darn good. The spoiler #2 gave about the appearance of a Rolleiflex happened last night. Made me want to dig out my Yashica Mat 124G.
The only knock about the accuracy of The Dig is there's no sign of a grid to tie down each item found. Maybe they didn't do that in the 1930s?
Seeing the treasures being uncovered made me want to dig out my metal detector. Problem is, my stooping or kneeling to dig a read days are over.
#2's digressing is starting to spread!!
Good that you're digressing, Once it takes hold, there is no holding it back. It is a very good film. Funny you mention the Yashicamat 124G. I have two, one I bought new back in the ;80's and another older model, which was a gift from a relative. I notice in the Curse of Oak Island TV show, they sometimes have a surveyor on site, on the dig.
02-12-2021, 09:47 AM - 3 Likes   #85378
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting to know. A good design, even if old, but still good...has a long life.
....paper clip
02-12-2021, 09:53 AM - 4 Likes   #85379
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a an old Sears Craftsman Ball Peen hammer, that has helped me 'persuade' recalcitrant metal.

I'm probably misusing it, but it still seems undamaged and is my go to hammer for rough metal work, like 'fixing' my garage door lock's box and strike plate, specifically the strike plate ,
which built up an edge or small metal 'wall' through frost/heat expansion and contraction shifting of door frame.

A few hammers using judicious amount of force and well placed accuracy of hammer blows...soon flattened the strike plate allowing the door to close smoothly again, as the build up metal on the strike plate was creating a metal barrier that stuck the door in place. No damage.

Glad my Ball Peen hammer did the job, as it's the only ball peen hammer I have...I don't have a larger hammer, which would of been the next step.
Your new PF name....Jeremy

And, can be used to fix lectric issues

02-12-2021, 09:54 AM - 4 Likes   #85380
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Mark, the Canucks probably turn off their freezers in winter - just pile up the cold stuff in the shed.
Can't do that, it brings in the polar bears