Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2021, 11:43 AM - 6 Likes   #86041
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I towed this little beastie home yesterday. Flagstaff E-Pro 19FBS. Weighs in at about 3,100 pounds (1452 kg). The Frontier tows it fine. If it was up to me I would sell the house and live in it, but my wife is not too keen on that idea. 190w solar panel on the roof with the ability to add more up top or plug into a socket on the side. Full access to everything with the slide out in is another plus. 20"2" (6.15meters) long. Two 20 pound propane tanks and one 64Ahr Deep Cycle Marine battery included. I will probably double up the battery. This come is at about half the towing capacity of my Frontier.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
03-04-2021, 12:51 PM   #86042
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, I towed this little beastie home yesterday. Flagstaff E-Pro 19FBS. Weighs in at about 3,100 pounds (1452 kg). The Frontier tows it fine. If it was up to me I would sell the house and live in it, but my wife is not too keen on that idea. 190w solar panel on the roof with the ability to add more up top or plug into a socket on the side. Full access to everything with the slide out in is another plus. 20"2" (6.15meters) long. Two 20 pound propane tanks and one 64Ahr Deep Cycle Marine battery included. I will probably double up the battery. This come is at about half the towing capacity of my Frontier.
Nice looking rig
Pity the door is on the wrong side .... opens out on to the road..
Lithium batteries are the new way to go, lighter and more usable power per ahr
03-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #86043
Pentaxian

Lovely combination. Our son has a '17 Nissan Frontier ProX 4 (off road package) and he has been very happy with it in the past 4 years. That 4 liter Nissan V6 should be more than enough power to tow that trailer...it is a torquey beast.
03-04-2021, 01:06 PM   #86044
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Ahh Mick Jagger's old Alma Mater!

At least something good dropped out of the place!

Don't think Mick made it past his first year @ LSE. I suppose he thought he could make it, without a degree.

His father was a lecturer @ LSE.

03-04-2021, 01:46 PM   #86045
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh nice! We walked through that exact model last year and really liked it. Just a nice size. I only wish it had tandem axles.
03-04-2021, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #86046
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Oh nice! We walked through that exact model last year and really liked it. Just a nice size. I only wish it had tandem axles.
Definitely something I would like too, but it was one of the tradeoffs. The interior fits our needs and it is small enough that I do not have to spend another $50,000 on a pickup truck to pull a heavier trailer around. Plenty of videos on these unit out there where people are telling their experiences. They do need pretty good maintenance as they are basically being subjected to mini earthquakes every time you take them out. I am going to over all the screws using blue Loctite and add a second locking nut to some bolts to insure they are secure. Rockwood sells the exact same family of units called Geo Pro. They are extremely popular.
03-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #86047
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neat caravan! Interesting that it only has one axle. Here something like that would have 2 axles for sure.

03-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #86048
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Did you feel the earthquake off the north island?
03-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #86049
Pentaxian

Definitely something I would like too, but it was one of the tradeoffs. The interior fits our needs and it is small enough that I do not have to spend another $50,000 on a pickup truck to pull a heavier trailer around.
We used to camp, and pulled trailer. I recall one evening in the 1990's we were at a campground in Wisconsin Dells. Our neighbour was a retired guy and his wife from Nova Scotia. They had a Dodge Dakota mid size pickup with the 318 cubic inch Magnum V8 (235 hp if I recall) and they towing a small fifth wheel....think it was a 24 or 26 footer trailer.

We started talking around the campfire, and I asked him how he found the smaller pickup did the job. He indicated that it towed the small 5 th wheel very well, and they usually towed with two other couples from Nova Scotia. One couple had a 34 footer 5th wheel trailer and used a big Chevy dually pickup with a large 454 cubic inch V8, then other couple had about the same size large 5th wheel trailer (35-36 footer) and they used a Dodge dually pickup with the Cummins diesel engine.

He said that the 5th wheel mid 20's footer trailer he and his wife used, met their needs, in terms of space, etc...as there was only the two of them. Their smaller 5th wheel trailer was both significantly smaller and lighter then their friend's larger 5th wheel trailers and therefore didn't have nearly as much weight to haul around. As a result the mid size pickup, with it's smaller V8 engine was easily able to keep up with the other large pickups (all about power to weight) and also got a bit better miles per gallon as although smaller, was hauling much less weight.

Also their mid size pickup, smaller trailer and less running costs was significantly cheaper to holiday and travel with, during their adventures., than the other two couples with their large pickups and large 5 th wheel trailers. As a group they went down to Florida during the winter, had gone to the Yukon and Alaska one summer, and a number of other North American spots.
03-04-2021, 03:24 PM - 2 Likes   #86050
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Did you feel the earthquake off the north island?
Yes, the 7.3 one at 02h30 this morning. My wife's many marathon medals clanged us awake and the house rode the wave a bit. The budgies in the kitchen were going berserk but the dog slept through it all. The cows next door were a bit restless too.
Evacuations of coastal areas at the moment due to tsunami risk due to the two large earthquakes near the Kermadec islands.

See Live: Waves, sea surges hit as people evacuate after 8.1 earthquake, tsunami threat | Stuff.co.nz and Home » National Emergency Management Agency
03-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #86051
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The aftershocks are still carrying on, but we're not feeling those. GeoNet: Quakes - Weak and above
21 aftershocks so far. I see the 7.3 has now been adjusted to 7.1 as they gather more data.
03-04-2021, 03:59 PM - 4 Likes   #86052
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I suppose he thought he could make it, without a degree.
I think he was right, I bet his accountant thinks the same too! I am much happier that Mick joined the music world instead of the business world. My youth (and later years for that matter) would have been a lot less enjoyable that is for sure.
03-04-2021, 09:52 PM   #86053
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yes, the 7.3 one at 02h30 this morning. My wife's many marathon medals clanged us awake and the house rode the wave a bit. The budgies in the kitchen were going berserk but the dog slept through it all. The cows next door were a bit restless too.
Evacuations of coastal areas at the moment due to tsunami risk due to the two large earthquakes near the Kermadec islands.

See Live: Waves, sea surges hit as people evacuate after 8.1 earthquake, tsunami threat | Stuff.co.nz and Home » National Emergency Management Agency
I just read your link, didn't look at the video. Hope all is well in NZ. I've never been in an earthquake (Cdn. prairies) and am grateful about that. Those Richter scale numbers are high.
03-05-2021, 06:06 AM - 2 Likes   #86054
Veteran Member

We occasionally get some rumbles and they're totally unnerving.
Good old Mother Earth isn't supposed to shake like that!
We're close enough to the New Madrid fault to make any shaking worrisome.
03-05-2021, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #86055
Veteran Member

Never thought I'd own a $90, 1,000 lumen flashlight, but now I do. Some places, like Bass Pro and Cabela's still want $120, the original price when it came out a few years ago.
Made by Leatherman, designed in Germany, and made in China.
Woot has it for $45, so this flashlight junkie couldn't pass it up.
Ledlenser F1R Rechargeable Flashlight
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »