Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2021, 07:12 AM - 6 Likes   #86056
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
We occasionally get some rumbles and they're totally unnerving.
Good old Mother Earth isn't supposed to shake like that!
We're close enough to the New Madrid fault to make any shaking worrisome.
I grew up in California so have experienced numerous earthquakes ranging from barely noticeable to substantially unnerving. Mrs. P grew up in the Midwest and had never felt an earthquake until..............
In the mid 80s, right after we got married, I was assigned to March AFB in Southern California. The base sits on a triangle of land defined by three fault lines.
One night I had gone to bed before Mrs. P. Not long after falling asleep I woke up to her somewhat frantically calling my name. I saw her braced in the doorway of the bedroom. "Can't you feel that?!!" I said "yeah, it's an earthquake", rolled over and went back to sleep.
Big mistake. How was I to know she wanted some degree of comforting and reassurance? confused2

03-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #86057
Pentaxian

Never thought I'd own a $90, 1,000 lumen flashlight, but now I do. Some places, like Bass Pro and Cabela's still want $120, the original price when it came out a few years ago.
Made by Leatherman, designed in Germany, and made in China.
Woot has it for $45, so this flashlight junkie couldn't pass it up.
Ledlenser F1R Rechargeable Flashlight
I like to have at least one 'good' flashlight. Can't remember when I bought it, think it was about a decade or so ago, when I bought a Streamlight TwinTask 3AA flashlight. No issues with it yet, and does a very good job of illuminating the darkness.

It has a led light, which I suppose all flashlights have now. Much prefer these to the old bulb, which you never know when that was going to cease to work. Also uses AA batteries. I always check to see if a flashlight uses AA before I buy, as they have reasonable life and cost, compared to the smaller AAA.

Think I paid around $ 44-$46 CAD when I bought it and got it from Cabela's.
03-05-2021, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #86058
Veteran Member

Speaking of flashlights, I carry around a nice single AA powered one in my Leatherman pouch, and it's invaluable for many things. It has a a super-low level great for reading things in the dark where you want to keep your night vision, then a low and med modes, and finally a super-bright mode which is quite impressive (it can also strobe on the super bright, but I've not really found a use for that). Decent battery life as well. Well worth the $30 or so I spent on it; ThruNite T10 II it calls itself.
03-05-2021, 09:05 AM   #86059
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Speaking of flashlights, I carry around a nice single AA powered one in my Leatherman pouch, and it's invaluable for many things. It has a a super-low level great for reading things in the dark where you want to keep your night vision, then a low and med modes, and finally a super-bright mode which is quite impressive (it can also strobe on the super bright, but I've not really found a use for that). Decent battery life as well. Well worth the $30 or so I spent on it; ThruNite T10 II it calls itself.
I carried the TruNite T13 for 4 years before it started acting up, now my EDC is an Olight T13 EOS 180 lumen.
Paid $16 for it with an Amazon lightning deal, normally $20.
IMO the push button style of the Olight is better than the twist on/off of the TruNite.

03-05-2021, 09:06 AM   #86060
Pentaxian

Forgot to mention, my Streamlight has similar modes. I usually just use the main, high power mode, so although my other two lesser light modes are useful as you indicated, being an old, less adventurous type..the high power is my go to mode.

Glad you mentioned the low light, use in the dark, Never thought of that, would be useful if do some night photography, for camera settings, etc.
03-05-2021, 12:32 PM   #86061
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Definitely something I would like too, but it was one of the tradeoffs. The interior fits our needs and it is small enough that I do not have to spend another $50,000 on a pickup truck to pull a heavier trailer around. Plenty of videos on these unit out there where people are telling their experiences. They do need pretty good maintenance as they are basically being subjected to mini earthquakes every time you take them out. I am going to over all the screws using blue Loctite and add a second locking nut to some bolts to insure they are secure. Rockwood sells the exact same family of units called Geo Pro. They are extremely popular.
Oh yes! The GeoPro waswhat we looked at, basically the same size and without the pullout.

I have always liked this 1706fb by Winnebago
Attached Images

03-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #86062
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yes, the 7.3 one at 02h30 this morning. My wife's many marathon medals clanged us awake and the house rode the wave a bit. The budgies in the kitchen were going berserk but the dog slept through it all. The cows next door were a bit restless too.
Evacuations of coastal areas at the moment due to tsunami risk due to the two large earthquakes near the Kermadec islands.

See Live: Waves, sea surges hit as people evacuate after 8.1 earthquake, tsunami threat | Stuff.co.nz and Home » National Emergency Management Agency
I have not been reading the news. Was there a Tsumani of any significance? I hope not...

03-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #86063
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I just read your link, didn't look at the video. Hope all is well in NZ. I've never been in an earthquake (Cdn. prairies) and am grateful about that. Those Richter scale numbers are high.
We occasionally get some rumbles and they're totally unnerving.
Good old Mother Earth isn't supposed to shake like that!
We're close enough to the New Madrid fault to make any shaking worrisome.
The Ottawa valley is an old fault line so we get the occasional rumble. I think I have only ever noticed one or two of the many that have occurred in all the years I have lived here. A few years ago, I was golfing and the only reason we knew there was an earthquake was because I was golfing with our Data Center manager and his pager went off alarming him of the situation. The data center was fine.
03-05-2021, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #86064
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I carried the TruNite T13 for 4 years before it started acting up, now my EDC is an Olight T13 EOS 180 lumen.
Paid $16 for it with an Amazon lightning deal, normally $20.
IMO the push button style of the Olight is better than the twist on/off of the TruNite.
Boyz boyz, boyz....are we into flashlight shaming now? I have a few kicking around the house but my go to when camping is a Petzl Headlamp with 3 intensity levels and a red beam. I also have a too heavy for camping Cre light that pulls out and has a log fluorescent tube kinda light and a magnet on one end. Very handy for an emergency vehicle light.
03-05-2021, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #86065
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, where's our resident Racer been? It's been a while no?
03-05-2021, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #86066
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I have always liked this 1706fb by Winnebago
A few years ago when we bought a trailer we looked at a Micro Winnie. A f,really nice outfit and, accordingly, a fair bit more expensive than what we ended up buying but we weren't sure we were going to like having a trailer. If not for that I'd happily have paid the extra for the Winnebago. It turns out it was best that we didn't splurge as we've since gone back to a pickup bed camper.
03-05-2021, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #86067
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, where's our resident Racer been? It's been a while no?
He's at work, Charlie, gotta make a dollar...!
03-05-2021, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #86068
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to fulfill a previous commitment my step son Rick got his Starlink service yesterday. It's topping out at about double what Bell give us. We are definitely considering it.
03-05-2021, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #86069
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Ottawa valley is an old fault line so we get the occasional rumble. I think I have only ever noticed one or two of the many that have occurred in all the years I have lived here. A few years ago, I was golfing and the only reason we knew there was an earthquake was because I was golfing with our Data Center manager and his pager went off alarming him of the situation. The data center was fine.
Charlevoix earthquake of 1663 came in at around 7.7 and really shook the St. Lawrence river valley.
03-05-2021, 04:37 PM   #86070
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Neat caravan! Interesting that it only has one axle. Here something like that would have 2 axles for sure.
Yeah, comments about the single axle are pretty common. Having only one really reduces the extra weight it can handle, but with only two of us we do not need a lot. 30 years ago we made do with a pop-up tent trailer, 4 boys and a Ford Aerostar van. One of our trips was 4 1/2 weeks and involved over 9,000 miles (14,000 plus km) of driving. When we got home the boys walked into the house and the first words out of their mouths were "Wow! Look at how big our house it!". I could have taken the family to Disney World for about 4 days for what that trip cost.

That little pop-up had over 20,000 miles of towing on it. We had it for 17 years and my wife cried when the new owners towed it away. This trailer is the lap of luxury by comparison. Even came with a TV and a heated mattress!!! When i towed it home a few days ago it towed great. I also added a much higher rated sway control system than it needed. I believe in margin. I will probably switch to a higher load rated tire too in a year or so.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »