Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 09:30 AM - 19 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
why I won't buy a k3 (Warning: Satire Thread)

I have been waiting for the announcement of the k3 for some time.Now that the camera is out and seeing the pics and seeing "ricoh on the back of the screen turns me off.Only a matter of time before we see Ricoh on the front of the camera.I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.My reasoning behind this is I make a living in photography.I shoot lots of weddings and It seems more people ask on what camera I'am using.I have had quite a few people turn me down because I shoot with pentax.They just know canon and nikon.I l was turned down on other major sporting events because I shoot with Pentax.This all happened a few years back and I will admit that some people are starting to recognize that pentax can keep up with the big guys.If Ricoh puts their name in front of the camera I feel it will throw them back to the dark ages..I'am quite happy with my k5s and all my pentax glass and will continue to shoot pentax,but hesitating to by new equiptment because of this matter.I do also own nikon and canon slr's but I'am a pentaxian and as long as it says Pentax on the front of the camera I'am happy.

Mod disclaimer: this thread has turned into a humorous discussion and it no longer reflects facts about the Pentax K-3 DSLR. Enter and post at your own risk, and have fun!

Last edited by pentaxdude; 10-11-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: adding on to my quote
10-10-2013, 09:33 AM - 13 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I have been waiting for the announcement of the k3 for some time.Now that the camera is out and seeing the pics and seeing "ricoh on the back of the screen turns me off.Only a matter of time before we see Ricoh on the front of the camera.I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.
Wow. Has anyone ever described you as being "crotchety" before? Do you also run out and tell the neighborhood kids to get off your lawn?
10-10-2013, 09:36 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd rather see Rico-Pentax on the back, but they really would shoot themselves in the foot to lose the Pentax on the prism box.
10-10-2013, 09:44 AM - 7 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have been waiting for the announcement of the k3 for some time.Now that the camera is out and seeing the pics and seeing "ricoh on the back of the screen turns me off.Only a matter of time before we see Ricoh on the front of the camera.I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.
I absolutely HATE having Ricoh on the back, when every camera under Hoya/Pentax put their name on the required electrical device tag on the bottom of the camera.

I will be taping/painting over the Ricoh on the back.
I will not tell people it's a "Ricoh".
I will not offer any good will towards "Ricoh" when people ask me about the camera.

What Ricoh is doing is acknowledging two things.

1) They need the ego/brand boost that Pentax gives them
2) They realize that Ricoh as a camera brand is even less known than Pentax and they are trying desperately to leverage some "shine" from what will be a VERY popular camera.

To be fair, I don't blame them in the case of the K3. It's going to be a wildly successful camera, and will put to the death other things/ideas that were Ricoh.

When the K3 becomes increasingly popular, the Pentax engineers who managed to survive into Ricoh, will be exonerated and vindicated.

Sure, it makes Ricoh look like idiots to the Pentax faithful, but if we get more "Pentaxes" with a little Ricoh on the back, I think I can deal with it, and do what I am going to do to my K3 when it gets here.

I hope Ricoh makes an APS-C mirrorless K mount camera, and puts "Ricoh" on the front, so they can leave "Pentax" to serious cameras.

We'll see how this plays out.

Ultimately, the K3 will only strengthen the "Pentax" brand, and will become too popular to EVER do away with.

You can't keep a good "Pentax" down, and we Pentaxians will know better.

10-10-2013, 09:48 AM - 34 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Personally I couldn't give a 4XXXX what name is on the camera as long as it's a quality product and takes my K-mount lenses.
10-10-2013, 09:51 AM - 17 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

I am grateful to Ricoh that my K-mount lenses have a future.
10-10-2013, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

When I first saw that I thought it would be a deal-breaker for many, but after all you can just black it out with a sharpie if you really don't want to see it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-10-2013, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Personally I couldn't give a 4XXXX what name is on the camera as long as it's a quality product and takes my K-mount lenses.
My sentiments exactly. I have been a Pentax user since my Spotmatic days. And lest we forget, Pentax is owned by Ricoh. My sole concern in buying the camera is that it meets my expectations for IQ and I am eagerly anticipating placing my cherished FA31 (and other primes) on the mount.
10-10-2013, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I'm going to buy it - Most likely 2 bodies, actually.
10-10-2013, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With the K3 being made out of a magnesium shell, and "Pentax" is stamped into the metal and the very core of the camera, I look at the "Ricoh" on the back as cosmetics, that can be washed off at the end of the day.

The K3 is through and through a Pentax and why I will buy another 2 in the coming months.
10-10-2013, 09:58 AM - 16 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

OMG, I cannot believe that anyone would care that much about a bloody name. Somebody call the WAAAHHHMBULANCE.... IT'S NOT PENTAX ANYMORE......GET OVER IT, oh, and OMG...it's slightly larger, I don't know if I like that, and the grip isn't the same, what am I going to do about that...what?! no Wi-Fi built in...we're screwed, Canon is killing us...after 2 years of reading all the bitching on this forum about Pentax the name itself is synonymous with WHINERS...I preordered the K-3 btw

PS I could go on and on about this but I am sure the blanks will be filled in soon enough....
10-10-2013, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Pentax cameras always had tags of owners.. Ricoh just put it in a different place/font, and I think it was done tastefully enough. But good luck choosing products based on who put their name on it.
10-10-2013, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I think Ricoh on the front of the camera won't matter to a new generation of photographers after the old fogies are long gone.
10-10-2013, 10:03 AM - 9 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Only a matter of time before we see Ricoh on the front of the camera.I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.
This strikes me as gratuitous pessimism, particularly given what we've recently seen from Ricoh. Essentially, Ricoh is doing everything they reasonably can to save the Pentax brand. And we're angry because they dare to put their name anywhere on the camera? Why do some people here have such a bad attitude about Ricoh? Would it really be preferable if the Pentax camera division was still run by Hoya? But Hoya didn't want the camera division; they were going to sell it regardless. Under such circumstances, Ricoh seems to me the very best buyer that we could possibly have hoped for. (And if there were a better possible buyer, who would that have been?)
10-10-2013, 10:04 AM - 9 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

This thread is depressing.