Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Those numbers are wrong. (I realise you are quoting someone else).

I can shoot 6000+ DNGs at an airshow with my K-5IIs using 2 (or at most 3) batteries. I don't even have 6 batteries!
That doesn't surprise me. I've always felt the I90 battery is extraordinary. So glad the K-3 is keeping it! Don't think I've ever needed to go to a second battery on any kind of shooting outing more than once or twice.

10-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #47
Forum Member

I don't have huge hands, but i've found at certain times that a Battery Grip comes in real handy, especially the smaller Dalr's such as Canan's Rebel series that i had at one time, the Rebel XSI, and iloved the small portability of that. Canon now has a reaaaaallllllly small Dslr named the sl1, that is one LITTLE dslr, that's really small, I seen it at Best Buy.
10-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #48

I use a grip on my K-5 most of the time, mostly for comfort (my little finger hangs off the bottom of the camera) and support for longer lenses. Like others I rarely use the vertical part of the grip when shooting vertically (years of shooting film...). I don't have a second battery, but the choice of using Lithium AAs if I have to is a real plus (I carry a set in my bag).

The ability to take it off is also really useful if I want to travel light/compact/unassumingly though.
10-19-2013, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

"Need" is a strong word, but I really like using the D-BG4 on my K-5 II.

However, I'm pretty much shocked about the D-BG5 design:

It is absolutely necessary that my right thumb finds the buttons without my head thinking about it, independently of whether I'm using the camera in landscape or portrait orientation.

Yet, on the D-BG5 the AF button position is different to where it is on the K-3. This is an ergonomic catastrophe, AFAIC. I cannot imagine I'd ever be happy with being forced to be conscious about which way I'm holding my camera so that I hit the right button (AF instead of AE-L).

There is a residual chance that Pentax will alleviate this major issue by allowing grip and/or camera buttons to be customisable. If they'd allowed swapping the functions of the green button and the AF button on the K-3 or the AF and the AE-L button on the grip that would help. But I have little hope and currently I'm just shaking my head in disbelief about this design blunder.

Last edited by Class A; 10-19-2013 at 08:56 PM.
10-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yet, on the D-BG5 the AF button position is different to where it is on the K-3. This is an ergonomic catastrophe
'Catastrophe'? Strong and dramatic words.

But with the DBG4, the AF button was also miles away from where it sits on the K-5 body. If anything, the AEL and AF buttons now sit closer together and easier to reach on both the K-3 grip and the body. Anyway, habit helps form ergonomics. Use a new tool often enough ...
10-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
'Catastrophe'? Strong and dramatic words.
I'd be surprised if you could find one person with an industrial design background who wouldn't score this a "fail".

They not only managed to move the AF button to a different position, but relative to the back wheel, the green button has moved as well. If they had rotated the three button positions (AE-L, AF, green) on the grip (to yield, AF, green, AE-L) then only the "AE-L" button would have been in a different position (relative to the wheel), instead of essentially all three of them.

Anyway, habit helps form ergonomics. Use a new tool often enough ...
Habit cannot change ergonomic properties.

It can only make you adapt to them.

If you don't use the buttons subconsciously then you won't have a problem.
If you use them subconsciously and manage to always mentally keep track of what context you are in (landscape or portrait orientation) that's great too. But no tool should force you to perform the latter mental feat, in particular if it appears very unnecessary to put such a burden on you.

If Pentax felt they had to compromise on the button layout either on the camera or the grip then they still should have stuck to either version for both. For me consistency here is of much greater value than achieving a slightly better layout on either.
10-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
consistency here is of much greater value than achieving a slightly better layout
So, habit again. If you had never used the DBG-4, you would not know any different.

Who knows, they may have asked some other experienced users, whose habits and subconscious physical memory formed differently than yours, or even done some studies on how 100 people used the battery grip and camera to arrive at the new layout. As engineers, one presumes they had some good reasons for altering the layout.

At least on the K-3 the new back body layout is improved (a little) over the K-5 for left-eyed shooters. Now I can reach for the AF button without having to move my face away from the viewfinder, and avoid pressing the LV button accidentally when I try and change the drive mode or WB.

As a left-eye shooter, I still have a gripe with the green button placement though. I'd prefer it up top, like on the K-x, K-01, K-30 etc.
10-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #53
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've done two things to really improve the handling of my K5 & K7 - remove the neck strap completely and add a battery grip. I don't use the grip for extra battery, simply to make the handling better for myself (and I keep a spare card in it!).

I attach the neck strap with removable clips and take it off completely when I'm shooting.

It works for me!

10-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Only time I used a grip was back in the film days with a Ricoh KR-10, but that wasn't even a portrait grip - it was a winder which also enlarged the normal (lanscape) handgrip.

I'm not sure I really need one as for reasons I do not fully understand I very rarely shoot in portrait.

However, seeing that the only way to get a silver K-3 is to get it with the grip it looks like I might be trying it out and maybe get to like it.
10-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kellyboy Quote
I've done two things to really improve the handling of my K5 & K7 - remove the neck strap completely and add a battery grip. I don't use the grip for extra battery, simply to make the handling better for myself (and I keep a spare card in it!).

I attach the neck strap with removable clips and take it off completely when I'm shooting.

It works for me!
That's basically the same reason I use a grip. I HATE neckstraps and prefer a well-made hand/wrist strap, but one loose enough to slip my hand in and out of easily. The grip just gives you that much more to hang on to, plus with the strap connected to the bottom of the grip, the strap is that much easier to get in and out of and can obviously be adjusted to feel "just right."
10-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #56
Pentaxian

So, habit again. If you had never used the DBG-4, you would not know any different.
I don't follow you.

I'm not talking about consistency between two grip versions.

I'm talking about consistency for button placements for landscape vs portrait orientation.

I don't want to think about the orientation I'm currently using. Button positions must not change when I change the camera's orientation. This has nothing to do with "habit".

Of course, I could develop the "habit" of adapting to the changed button layout every time I change the camera's orientation.
But this is a completely unreasonable expectation.

I had a third-party grip whose front-wheel worked in the reverse direction than the camera's front wheel. Of course, over time I could have adapted to that and just turned the front wheel the other way whenever I had the camera in portrait orientation. But why should I? Why would I have to spend one split second about what orientation the camera is in? Can't the front wheels work the same direction on both camera and grip? Of course they can. In the same vein, I expect my thumb to find the AF button (and the green button, preferably) at the very same position relative to the rear wheel independently of the camera's orientation. Everything else does not make sense for people who are switching between the two orientations back and forth very quickly and do not have time to make a conscious context switch every time.

As engineers, one presumes they had some good reasons for altering the layout.
If there are any good reasons, I'd like to know about them (I'm talking about reasons to have a different button layout between camera and grip).

It may make sense for some scenarios, but AFAIC it is a major inconvenience for people photographers who need to be able to quickly change orientation back and forth.

Let me ask you: What would be worse for you, if they had rotated the three button positions (AE-L, AF, green) on the grip to yield, AF, green, AE-L? Someone who is using the AE-L button may not be entirely happy with my suggestion, but they wouldn't find the AE-L button on the grip where it is on the camera (relative to the back wheel) anyhow.

At least on the K-3 the new back body layout is improved (a little) over the K-5 for left-eyed shooters. Now I can reach for the AF button without having to move my face away from the viewfinder, and avoid pressing the LV button accidentally when I try and change the drive mode or WB.
Moving the LV button out of the way: Well, done.
Moving the AF button: Will probably work for me.

But whatever they did to the camera, they should have mirrored on the grip, AFAIC.

Last edited by Class A; 10-20-2013 at 09:39 AM.
10-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #57

I think a battery grip would be an important accessory especially considering the use that is made of proprietary batteries, so I speak more about the possibilities to use standard AA batteries thanks to adaptor on the battery grip more then other things.
But unfortunately I think similar accessory are too expensive so I wonder if one day someone develop a stupid battery grip with no button for vertical shoot and the minimum of electronic just to be able to be used only for add the possibilities of use normal batteries as last resort, although this would give up to the full functionalities of a conventional battery grip.
10-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have this on my k-5 all the time. I hope I can find one for the k-3 and the new grip. Handy for wildlife photography with Sidekick and also works for panoramas on Nodal Ninja 5.
10-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #59

I am going to get the new grip for the K-3 when I buy it by the end of November. The longer battery life makes it worth it, and it will be easier to handle using larger lenses when shooting in portrait view.
10-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Sidekick
Out of curiosity, what's Sidekick?

I remember Borland's old 'Sidekick' software, but I guess that isn't what you are referring to.