Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

50/50 situation for me too.

I used to use the grip 100% of the time on the K10D/K20D since I found that body design too wide to balance properly and the grip squared that out.

On the smaller K-7/K-5 the balance suited me more without the grip, but it's a matter of which lenses at mounted onto the body.

I still use the grip when using long and heavy lenses. Without the grip I find the small camera doesn't balance out the lenses and makes the setup lean forward too easily in my hands.

With my favourite setup OTOH, i.e. when I'm out shooting with smallish primes (esp the various FA and DA limiteds), I *never* use the grip. Ever since the K-7 was introduced it was rumoured to be designed with the limiteds in mind, and I strongly believe that to be the case indeed. To me the K-7/5/5II(s)/3 series is perfectly dimensioned for these small lenses and makes a prefect package for discreet portable photography. As I wrote, for longer and larger lenses such as f/2.8 zooms and tele lenses (and other brand zooms) the camera needs more beef.

Wim

10-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I bought the grip to go with the K-5 because, though I don't have large hands, my pinkie sort of hung in the air beneath the camera without it. It just feels more comfortable and balanced, especially with larger lenses. I always keep batteries in it, but I never use it for portrait mode shooting. I'm old school, so turning my hands like in the old days feels much more natural to me, though I imagine one has a more steady hold on the camera if the vertical controls are used. For tripod use, I screw on an L bracket, which works just fine with the grip.

I did not intend to buy a grip for the K-3 (at least, not initially), but as I've ordered the silver one, I'm getting one anyway.
10-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Digital is different, though, If I can get 300 pictures off one regular battery, and then carry a backup in my shirt pocket, why on earth would I need to put up with all that extra weight?[/url]
When I use my DA* 60-250mm f/4 or my DA* 300mm f/4, I find that the weight naturally becomes distributed between my hands. And the camera digs into my right hand. I use the grip (with or without batteries) for more comfortable handing with my right hand.

(Interestingly, when using my Sigma 500mm f/4.5, I find the balance shifts almost fully to my left hand, and I don't need the battery grip).
10-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I've never used a grip, I think it might be useful for me taking portrait shots, but I always have a tripod quick release plate on the camera so how does the grip work with a plate? Do you have to take off the plate to put on the grip? If so, that's a deal breaker for me.
I only use the grip when using heavy lenses, to get a more comfortable grip with my right hand. And if I want to use a tripod with those lenses, the tripod plate is on the lens bracket, not on the camera.

I have a Manfrotto RC2 plate on the bracket that came with my DA* 60-250mm, and an ARCA plate on the one that came with my DA* 300mm - or do I mean the other way round? Then I can easily use either tripod plate with either lens, because both brackets fit either lens. And for that matter, they fit the K to Q Adapter too.

10-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #35
Veteran Member

i took a lot of portrait.

maybe i need it.

10-11-2013, 03:12 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I've never used a grip, I think it might be useful for me taking portrait shots, but I always have a tripod quick release plate on the camera so how does the grip work with a plate? Do you have to take off the plate to put on the grip? If so, that's a deal breaker for me.
Here , this might be your Answer !!! Metal Plate for the DBG4 Grip , It's Arca-Swiss Compatible,Really well made, If you use a Manfrotto Quick release plate it just screws to the bottom of the Mestos.

It also recentres the camera back to the Centre Axis of the Lens so you can shoot Horizontal Panos without having to need an Extra Adaptor plate to reset your Nodal Point.

Last edited by disco_owner; 10-11-2013 at 05:00 AM.
10-11-2013, 04:39 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love using the DA and FA Limiteds with a gripped camera. The lens is such a small part of the overall package then, and I feel like I'm using a point-and-shoot on steroids.

10-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I love using the DA and FA Limiteds with a gripped camera. The lens is such a small part of the overall package then, and I feel like I'm using a point-and-shoot on steroids.
I'll second that!
10-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Did anyone make a portrait adapter for the D-BG4?
10-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always keep the grip on my K-5 unless I need to remove it for some reason.

Given that the K-3 has unusually short battery life for its class (720 shots without flash, down from 980), I would definitely get the D-BG5 and an extra battery to go with it.

--DragonLord
10-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #41
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
Did anyone make a portrait adapter for the D-BG4?
Mestos PD-K5HL Camera L Plate for Pentax K5, K7 Vertical Grip NEW | eBay
10-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Given that the K-3 has unusually short battery life for its class (720 shots without flash, down from 980), I would definitely get the D-BG5 and an extra battery to go with it.DragonLord
Those numbers are wrong. (I realise you are quoting someone else).

I can shoot 6000+ DNGs at an airshow with my K-5IIs using 2 (or at most 3) batteries. I don't even have 6 batteries!
10-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Those numbers are wrong. (I realise you are quoting someone else).

I can shoot 6000+ DNGs at an airshow with my K-5IIs using 2 (or at most 3) batteries. I don't even have 6 batteries!
People are going to get mad that you dont have a grip to make your camera bigger.
10-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Originally posted by krebsy75 Did anyone make a portrait adapter for the D-BG4? Mestos PD-K5HL Camera L Plate for Pentax K5, K7 Vertical Grip NEW | eBay
I use a Manfrotto L-bracket. It's a generic grip, so not specifically made for Pentax. It works well on the K-5 with grip, and the D800, but it is rather heavy.
10-12-2013, 01:56 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
People are going to get mad that you dont have a grip to make your camera bigger.
Uh? I do.