Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 04:12 AM - 3 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WaveDancer Quote
The standart(sic) for professionals is Full Frame.
Incorrect, the standard for professional work is whatever gets the job done best - I don't know where you are getting all this rubbish about full frame. I know professional photographers who do excellent work with APS-C cameras, FX format, medium format and Large format. I really don't see any particular format as professional - though some formats require more skill to use than others - the fact that you are hung up on Full frame FX format as being more professional speaks volumes about you. If you really think a bigger sensor is going to make your work professional? - I hate burst your bubble, but professionalism is more than some thing that can be bought at a camera store.

My family have been using pentax cameras for longer than you have, although I use Leica, Arca-Swiss, Sinar, Ebony, Alpa, Hasselblad, Nikon and Canon cameras - There will always be room for Pentax cameras on my shelf.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-11-2013 at 04:33 AM.
10-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll respect your rant just because you've been dedicated to Pentax for 40 years.

My opinion is that it is inevitable that Ricoh Pentax will release a full frame, I observed that everything has been better for them recently:

more market exposure: increasing market share and Pentaxians in the internet, better and more active marketing

more competitive cameras: participating in the AA-less, megapixels, ISO performance race, dual SD card slot, innovative features like K-3's active AA-filter

more funding: a subsidiary of a 21.5 billion USD corporation vs. a 4.4 billion USD corporation, actively churning out lenses like HD LTDs and HD 55-300mm.

more technologies: HD coating, first active AA-filter, "first" mirrorless that didn't abandon their dSLR mount

The only thing I've hated Ricoh for was tragic price increase of all Pentax lenses. Still a bit bitter about it.

The DA 40mm f/2.8 XS only shows how competent they can be, for example. Compactness over image quality is just awesome.
10-11-2013, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
That being said, I bought into FF about a year ago and guess what... it counts for nothing. ie, I was also under the impression that it would be "all that", only to find out that the advantages of a FF over my K-5 were so few and far in between that it simply wasn't worth the change(true story).
Same here, the only reason I bought myself a 5DmkII was because two of my customers needed me to shoot in full frame format. Personally, I can only think of one noticable advantage: it allowed me to keep those customers. For the rest, I prefer the DR, contrast and flexibility in PP of my K-5s images over the 5DII.

Photographic gear is about personal taste. And you can't really debate that. The one values different things then the next person. Silly example: the very biggest photographic revolution the past few years for me personally has been a camera with focus peaking and focus zooming in the eye-level viewfinder. I find it so much more helpfull then using it on the back LCD, that to me, it should be obligatory in each and every camera. Obviously, I realise lots of other shooters couldn't care less about peaking in the vf.
10-11-2013, 04:40 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Another pathetic "I need full frame now" thread. Yawn.
If you actually *need* a 36x24 DSLR to make a living you should have switched from Pentax long ago.
If you are just another amateur wanting to play around with full frame (like me), then suck it up and wait, or shoot film, or switch. But please don't whine.

10-11-2013, 04:43 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

I think the big mistake they made was not giving away a free pony in the box. Since ponies are generally considered "full frame" animals, that might satisfy people. If not, maybe they could just put a puppy in the box? Would that make people happy? I don't think so.

God Almighty himself could come down to earth, and personally craft the next Pentax camera, have it delivered by Angels, include everlasting life, health and wealth with every purchase, and still some people on here would complain.
10-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #21
Pentaxian

what is this a almost 3 years old sensor!!
Why are you assuming it uses an almost 3 years old sensor? Looking for excuses to bash the K-3, lacking real reasons?
And I see you registered just to complain about the K-3. Fishy.
10-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
the only reason I bought myself a 5DmkII was because two of my customers needed me to shoot in full frame format. Personally, I can only think of one noticable advantage: it allowed me to keep those customers.
From time to time I get customers that request that I use Canon or Nikon Cameras - some go even further than that and request that I use only L lenses, or top of the line Nikkor G lenses. Sometimes I take my Pentax 645 / K5IIs or Leica monochrom/S2 to the shoot, take a few frames with them and when the client gets the proof sheet* they often pick the images taken with the Leica or Pentax cameras instead of the camera and lenses the client Insisted I use for the shoot.

* on my proof sheets I only show the number of images taken on the shoot - I don't include any other information that could identify the camera that was used, so there is no way at all to tell which camera took which image.
10-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #23

I think sensor size is the new megapixel war. It HAS to be bigger or my photos will be terrible! It's technology in the digital age that makes all the difference. A higher tech chip will produce better images fact. But lets all buy plasticy oil dripping last gen bodies with bigger sensors instead of complete, fluid, feature packed cameras with a 1.5x crop.

10-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I think the big mistake they made was not giving away a free pony in the box. Since ponies are generally considered "full frame" animals, that might satisfy people. If not, maybe they could just put a puppy in the box? Would that make people happy? I don't think so.

God Almighty himself could come down to earth, and personally craft the next Pentax camera, have it delivered by Angels, include everlasting life, health and wealth with every purchase, and still some people on here would complain.
Nah, ponies are cropped animals, "normal" horses are full frame.
10-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #25
Pentaxian

LOL! I'd like a pony!
10-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, all of those things are nice, but unless the camera gives out a chocolate bon bon every time I nail a shot I don't want it!

NaCl(besides having a camera delivered by an Angel might be a bit scary)H2O
10-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry, WaveDancer, it is never enough.
10-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Do the Canon and Nikon boards get these kinds of threads where folks threaten to sell all their gear and switch to Pentax because Canon/Nikon refuse to make medium format cameras...even though neither of them have ever said they were going to build such a camera and currently don't have a lens line-up in place to support one?
10-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Sorry to say, I was expecting with the K3 more (what is this a almost 3 years old sensor!!), much more! The standart for professionals is Full Frame. You have to care! You loose again ground against the competitors. I plan to buy my total new equipment (lots of money) by end of 2014, if by then Pentax has no topclass FF - body, I'll switch to Nikon... this after 40 years Pentax!
For someone with a few posts on this forum, no history, nothing to show that you would be a pro at all - professionals tend to express themselves professionally, you use big words. All in all, you threw some flamebait out here and I do not feed trolls.
10-11-2013, 05:32 AM   #30
Banned

Sorry to say, I was expecting with the K3 more (what is this a almost 3 years old sensor!!), much more! The standart for professionals is Full Frame. You have to care! You loose again ground against the competitors. I plan to buy my total new equipment (lots of money) by end of 2014, if by then Pentax has no topclass FF - body, I'll switch to Nikon... this after 40 years Pentax!
You don't need to be a professional to want a full frame camera today. Costco sells full frame DSLRs and I am sure it was not just professionals buying them. My main reason to get a full frame camera was to use my full frame PK mount lenses at their native 35mm SLR FOV instead of a 1.5x crop.
Closed Thread