Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Beautiful! If you bought the Minolta SRT-101 in black body with the 58mm lens, the aperture ring was black too (normally silver).

Last edited by Not a Number; 10-12-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: correction 58mm lens back then
10-12-2013, 02:39 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well I'm having some funding problems, but I will try to get a Silver. But it is also a difficult one, since I also could get two black versions, but not Silver and Black.
10-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Silver "combo" already ordered- fingers crossed!
The K-3 has come at a very good time for me, and I have had and used a grip in the past on a K-20D, but never got a grip for my K-5, but came close a couple of times (..I have big hands).
I live in a part of the world that seems to attract photographers, and with almost every DSLR I see being used being Canon or Nikon, I believe we are already in the "Like something different" category, so the silver outfit is just a step farther for me.
10-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
If you bought a car and were told you can only buy black, would that be normal? The silver comes with the grip and a second battery. After you factor those in, the price is a wash. Depends if you prefer silver or black.
"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black." - Henry Ford remarking on the Model T in 1909

10-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The silver looks pretty cheap IMO and the silver grip is horrifying aesthetically but I'm sure it will look better in the flesh.

It would be a tempting buy to just leave in a box in storage but I doubt it would appreciate in value down the track anyway.
I don't think it would gain in value either. I know Adam has been trying to unload the special K-10 for awhile.
10-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
........................And the tan real leather strap discretely embossed "K-3 Premium Silver Edition"...........................
10-13-2013, 04:21 AM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahamcoad Quote
Silver "combo" already ordered- fingers crossed!
I believe we are already in the "Like something different" category, so the silver outfit is just a step farther for me.
For the same reasons silver ordered. Should arrive to Finland in early December...
10-17-2013, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Ha ha! Silver is the new Black. Back in the day black bodies were the pro cameras or limited editions. How times change. Looking at the sliver body of my Minolta X-GM and the black body of my X-700 I can say they've worn very well. The scuffing and brassing is a matter of pride - like the scars you share with an old buddy who has been through thick and thin with you.
So true!

For me, the mad scramble to grab onto the "New Black" Silver equipment (not just the K3, but Limited lenses, etc.) just gives me giggles. All my old film bodies, except my lovely top-o-the-line-at-the-time black LX, were the very ordinary consumer silver color. My, how fashions change. More giggles .

I wish there were more than 2000 silver K3s, so that I could keep this smirk on my face longer. The Pentax world has needed more humor recently.

10-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
Site Supporter

What's the matter Ted? Couldn't you get a silver edition?

Seriously, I really liked the look of the silver one. I haven't had a silver camera since my MX, and it makes a nice change from the endless succession of black bodies. I'll be using the camera, but the strap will stay in its plastic bag.
10-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Is the 'silver' colour exposed metal body or some sort of silvery colour paint or coating?

That is what will make the decision for me - that is if I can find out before buying and that there are any left by the time I decide.

If it is painted or coated it will start to look quite awful when it wears down with use but if it is the real metal surface that is showing it will get to look better with age.

Black painted metal also looks quite OK when worn down to the metal but silver painted metal looks horrible when worn down (actully I don't like it even when it is not worn down)
10-19-2013, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Is the 'silver' colour exposed metal body or some sort of silvery colour paint or coating?

That is what will make the decision for me - that is if I can find out before buying and that there are any left by the time I decide.

If it is painted or coated it will start to look quite awful when it wears down with use but if it is the real metal surface that is showing it will get to look better with age.

Black painted metal also looks quite OK when worn down to the metal but silver painted metal looks horrible when worn down (actully I don't like it even when it is not worn down)
My K-5 Silver Limited Edition still looks great after 2 1/2 years off abuse. Sure the corners are showing some wear down, but it does get pretty with aging. For me it is a camera to use and not for display or to sell. Now with 160k on the shutter.

10-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Here's a quote from photographyreview.com: "And did I mention beautiful? Thereís a special Premium Silver Edition K-3 that I think is the best-looking DSLR Iíve ever seen."