Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If one thinks about it, it needs two slots, because otherwise, if the FLU card is used, the camera would only have 16 GB of storage available. I doubt if many people would buy multiple FLU cards at £100 a shot. I can't see me needing a FLU card, but I'm glad to see the K-3 has dual slots. It's a whole lot better that way. If you don't need two, don't use the second slot.

10-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why Not?

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
What makes the K3 another grade above the K5... and don't say megapixels.
Getting back to the OP's original questions "Why is it the K-3 and not the K-5III?
Why not? When Pentax revamped their flagship cameras, the K10D and K20D, with a new body, new sensor, more megapixels and several other new/upgraded features, they didn't call it the K-21 or the K20DII, they called it the K-7.
When the exact same K-7 body was upgraded with (2) more megapixels, a different sensor and other features, it didn't become the K-7II, it was the K-5.
While the K-5II and IIs are upgrades to the K-5, it is the same body, sensor and most features. The removal of the AA filter applied only to the K-5IIs, otherwise the two cameras are based about 90% on the classic K-5. Hence, it became a 'series' upgrade.
Now, we have an entirely new body, a unique feature that allows AA or AA-less shooting, a whopping 50% more megapixels, using yet again a different sensor (yes, I'm deliberately disregarding your admonition to 'not say more megapixels'. 16Mp compared to 24Mp is not something you or anyone else can blithely wave away because it's inconvenient to your premise), and a list of other new, upgraded and upper-tier functions, much too long to list here.
Many of those improvements have long been clamored for by the Pentax faithful. Regretably, the flash-sync speed wasn't one of them, but otherwise this appears to be not only a new model, but a new generation of flagship camera body.
Can you supply any rational reason WHY they would call this camera the K-5III?
If so, we're all waiting to hear it.
Ron
10-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Getting back to the OP's original questions "Why is it the K-3 and not the K-5III?
Why not? When Pentax revamped their flagship cameras, the K10D and K20D, with a new body, new sensor, more megapixels and several other new/upgraded features, they didn't call it the K-21 or the K20DII, they called it the K-7.
When the exact same K-7 body was upgraded with (2) more megapixels, a different sensor and other features, it didn't become the K-7II, it was the K-5.
While the K-5II and IIs are upgrades to the K-5, it is the same body, sensor and most features. The removal of the AA filter applied only to the K-5IIs, otherwise the two cameras are based about 90% on the classic K-5. Hence, it became a 'series' upgrade.
Now, we have an entirely new body, a unique feature that allows AA or AA-less shooting, a whopping 50% more megapixels, using yet again a different sensor (yes, I'm deliberately disregarding your admonition to 'not say more megapixels'. 16Mp compared to 24Mp is not something you or anyone else can blithely wave away because it's inconvenient to your premise), and a list of other new, upgraded and upper-tier functions, much too long to list here.
Many of those improvements have long been clamored for by the Pentax faithful. Regretably, the flash-sync speed wasn't one of them, but otherwise this appears to be not only a new model, but a new generation of flagship camera body.
Can you supply any rational reason WHY they would call this camera the K-5III?
If so, we're all waiting to hear it.
Ron
I was under the impression that Pentax had revamped its model numbering scheme such that the DSLR line-up was K5, K50, K500. (I think I read that the K50 was replacing the K30 partly to keep consistent with the numbering scheme. Also, it was to be consistent with the canikon practice of using lower number for the more pro camera to the point where the D1 is the flagship Nikon for example.) The K5 was the flagship Pentax camera. This is why its a bit surprising to see K3. If it was say an FF camera, then it would make sense to have a new number, otherwise why not just make it new K5. I mean, when they come out with an improved K3 in two years, they don't have many numbers left to choose from
10-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #34

Does it matter what they call it?

A few examples:
K series - K2, KX, KM, K1000
M series - ME F, ME, MG, MV, MV1, MX
LX

In the past the the same camera was called something different depending on the market it was sold on. Some examples
A series - super A / Super Program, program A / program Plus, A3/A3000
P series - P5/P50, P3/P30, P3n/P30n
SF series - SFX/SF1, SFXn/SF1n, SF7/SF10
Z/PZ series - Z-1/PZ-1, Z-10/PZ-10, Z-20/PZ-20, Z-50p, Z-5, Z-5p, Z-1p/PZ-1p, Z-70/PZ-70

So in the past K-5, K-50 or K-500 could have been the same camera just sold under in different name in the Asian, European and US/Canadian markets.

A Full-Frame K-mount camera from Ricoh-Pentax may not even a "K".

10-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, but Pentax themselves established a meaning to the model number, which I welcomed because I like consistency and logic.
10-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
A Full-Frame K-mount camera from Ricoh-Pentax may not even a "K".
Maybe, just maybe they're planning (long term thinking here) for a full range of FF K-mount cameras, and all they have left from the "K" naming system is K-1 and K-2. It wouldn't be enough, don't you think?