Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why is it a K3 and not a K5III

What makes the K3 another grade above the K5... and don't say megapixels.

10-11-2013, 03:55 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
But it is, or rather it is a sensor change. A metering change; an Autofocus change; An image processor change; a shutter change; a SR change, an Anti Aliasing system change; a veiwfinder optics change; a body change; a built in flash change; a display screen change; USB 3; headphone output; extra card slot... and more buttons.
10-11-2013, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B/c all the hardware has changed, literally

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Is there anything that is actually the same besides the battery and the mount?

10-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, granted its an improvement from the K5II in many ways. That's expected though. But is it in another class? That's what's implied by the 3.

EDIT: And what would a K1 be like?

Last edited by k5astro; 10-11-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: adding question.
10-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, granted its an improvement from the K5II in many ways. That's expected though. But is it in another class? That's what's implied by the 3.
K-5 III would imply an evolutionary upgrade. The K-3 is a complete ground up rebuild so totally justifies the new designation.
QuoteQuote:
EDIT: And what would a K1 be like?
Awesome, I hope
10-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Well, as I've said before, my K7/K5 L plate still fits so at least the left hand half of the base plate is the same. The shutter button also felt familiar... though some may be concerned that the lens release also seemed the same.

10-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

By choosing a K-3 name will also allow them to release another K-5 III/s for minimal upgrade such as adopting some selected advance features from K-3 that can easily be integrating into the K-5 via minor changes. Remember some may say, I don't need dual slot cards or don't need more Megapixels (for example) etc.; thus providing Ricoh more flexibility to offer to a variety of customers. Just a thought....
10-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Externally - shutter button, front self-timer lamp, front e-dial, top panel ISO and EV comp buttons, hot-shoe, flash popup button, X-sync plug, RAW/fx button, strap lug placement.

But yeah, the fact that the whole sensor, AE metering system, pentaprism, AF system, image processor, storage architecture, and shutter assembly are all entirely new would easily justify a full digit upgrade.
10-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
By choosing a K-3 name will also allow them to release another K-5 III/s for minimal upgrade such as adopting some selected advance features from K-3 that can easily be integrating into the K-5 via minor changes. Remember some may say, I don't need dual slot cards or don't need more Megapixels (for example) etc.; thus providing Ricoh more flexibility to offer to a variety of customers. Just a thought....
True. The dual SD cards struck me as a truly pro feature.
10-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Because they normally don't name things II and III, etc. The K-5 II was a special case because they needed to get something to market after the Hoya switchover and it was taking too long -- so they put some of the stuff they had ready in the K-5 and called it the K-5 II -- just a spruced up K-5.

But the K-3 is a whole new camera. We won't be seeing any more "II" models ever, I would bet...
10-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think adding II or III and so on is much more convenient for camera makers and customers. Now, with the K-3 on the top, I would prefer they use the name K-30II for the K-5II upgrade and K-300 for the K-50/K-500 upgrade and go with Roman numbers for next upgrades.
10-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter

True. The dual SD cards struck me as a truly pro feature.
Why?

Are Pro's running out of storage?

Would you not carry a bunch of cards with you if you were a pro and pay attention to your storage needs as you shoot? Same as batteries.

I get the FluCard, But otherwise I really never fully understood the need for a Dual slot as cards have gotten seriously big in storage.

Obviously I am a bit in the dark here.
10-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Why?

Would you not carry a bunch of cards with you if you were a pro and pay attention to your storage needs as you shoot? Same as batteries.

I get the FluCard, But otherwise I really never fully understood the need for a Dual slot as cards have gotten seriously big in storage.

One advantage I see is in RAW + JPG, one card storing RAW, one storing JPG. You could also have it mirroring from one to the other, so you'll always have a backup.
10-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Why?

1. Dual mirrored storage, like a RAID drive, in case one card fails during, say, a wedding
  2. 1 card for RAW, one card for jpeg when shooting RAW+
  3. 1 card for stills, one card for video (with card switching button on lower right back)
  4. 1 card for Wi-Fi or tethering (Pentax FLuCard), one card for standard card reader transfer
  5. Etc.