Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #16
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,152
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't.

As SKwan said, it could be useful in Play mode; but otherwise it would only hinder you.
Please exclude me from this group you call "you". I find well-implemented touchscreens very useful.

10-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #17
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
But you do realize that the Sony NEX-6 or Nex-7 has the OLED EVF on the far left so your nose can't touch the screen.
Depends on which eye is dominant - in my case I by default put my left eye to the finder / Lars
10-12-2013, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 1,088
I am not sure whether I would get used to it, but could accept it if the following could be assured:
  • It is as rugged as the standard screen (will last as long)
  • It doesn't increase the body volume
  • It doesn't increase the price tag
  • The touch feature can be switched off completely without any disadvantage in handling compared with a standard screen
  • Neither visibility nor energy consumption are increased
In fact this means a NO, as these combined will not be possible.
Maybe they could offer 2 versions of every body.
10-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,148
A few months ago I got my daughter in law a Canon Rebel T5i. I got her a Canon because no one had a Pentax SLR she could handle the camera before purchasing it. It has a touch screen, that she likes, and it folds in so no nose smudges. That would not be a bad way for Pentax to go if they decide on one.

As to the K3, I am "lusting in my heart", to quote a former president, after one. However I also want a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens. I am glad the K3 came out with the APS-c sensor as it will work on my K5, K5-IIs and the K3.

10-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,216
It would not be very useful for anyone shooting at night, great way to kill your night vision.
10-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
But you do realize that the Sony NEX-6 or Nex-7 has the OLED EVF on the far left so your nose can't touch the screen.
Sorry, my bad... you're right.. it does have an EVF; just haven't seen many people using it (may be people using left-eye).
10-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,341
With all due respect to those who would appreciate and use the added utility, I would not like a touchscreen on my K3. I would never need its functions for anything I will do with a top-line stills camera. Before @johnmflores has apoplexy, I don't imagine I will use video much if at all. I can use my K-01 for that. I typically and habitually focus and recompose where necessary with manual focus lenses and I can't imagine I will have much need to use Live View when the camera isn't on a tripod (where zooming, panning the zoomed image for focus peaking, , selecting focus points where appropriate and reviewing - using analog buttons - isn't a chore).

As it is, I wear eyeglasses but I remove them to shoot a dSLR and I am left-eye-dominant. Putting them on to chimp and adjust menus is a chore so in most instances I use a dSLR much more like a film camera than most people. Putting my glasses on to use a touchscreen for menus doesn't add utility for me.

When shooting I get what I get, so I have to shoot slowly and deliberately and use viewfinder information extensively. For me the K-3 is an enthusiast, near-pro (pro) stills camera.

None of that is to say others share my uses nor limitations. I just don't want a camera that
  1. might cost more to offer features I won't use, or
  2. costs the same but substitutes a feature I won't use and omits something I will use
I wonder whether a body with a different mix of features, a different emphasis, positioned between the K-50 and K-3, would be appealing.
10-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #23
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,152
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
With all due respect to those who would appreciate and use the added utility, I would not like a touchscreen on my K3. I would never need its functions for anything I will do with a top-line stills camera. Before @johnmflores has apoplexy, I don't imagine I will use video much if at all. I can use my K-01 for that. I typically and habitually focus and recompose where necessary with manual focus lenses and I can't imagine I will have much need to use Live View when the camera isn't on a tripod (where zooming, panning the zoomed image for focus peaking, , selecting focus points where appropriate and reviewing - using analog buttons - isn't a chore).

As it is, I wear eyeglasses but I remove them to shoot a dSLR and I am left-eye-dominant. Putting them on to chimp and adjust menus is a chore so in most instances I use a dSLR much more like a film camera than most people. Putting my glasses on to use a touchscreen for menus doesn't add utility for me.

When shooting I get what I get, so I have to shoot slowly and deliberately and use viewfinder information extensively. For me the K-3 is an enthusiast, near-pro (pro) stills camera.

None of that is to say others share my uses nor limitations. I just don't want a camera that
  1. might cost more to offer features I won't use, or
  2. costs the same but substitutes a feature I won't use and omits something I will use
I wonder whether a body with a different mix of features, a different emphasis, positioned between the K-50 and K-3, would be appealing.
Double word score for apoplexy!

Some people here (not necessarily you, @Monochrome) seem to think that physical controls and touch screens are an either or proposition. They aren't, as the Panasonic GH cameras show. I'd rate my GH2 as just a step below my K-5 in terms of physical controls. But the GH2 also has a handy touchscreen for when I want to set an CDAF focus point or adjust a setting. The elegance of the GH2 is that I don't have to use the touch screen if I don't want to, and if it's dark and I don't want to blow out my night vision, I can flip and twist the screen to hide it and do everything via physical controls and the EVF.

Would I want a camera that was 100% touch? No, not unless it had a killer feature that I'd suffer a pure touchscreen experience for, like the pocket camera that I have that also happens to make phone calls and surf the Internet. Lol.

Until 3D printers evolve to the point where we can print out a camera with just the features that we want, we are at the whim of product marketers that create products based on what they think that their target market wants. The best that we can do is choose the cameras that best meet our own needs and get on with it. Or should I start a thread and complain about the incremental cost of the PC/AV port that I've never used or the X-sync port that I've never touched?

10-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #24
Veteran Member
richard balonglong's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Baguio City, Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 350
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Does anyone feels that touchscreen would have been useful, especially with manual lenses and focus peaking - the way it's done in Sony nex.

Yusuf
I think it would not be good for the K-3, but for a second gen K-01 would be fine and would be great if it's also a tilt-swivel display just like the OM-D...
10-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,254
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
How would it hinder you?
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Please exclude me from this group you call "you". I find well-implemented touchscreens very useful.
It depends on how much it would force you to use it; I was talking about the situation when it starts replacing hard buttons and dials.
For example, changing AF points when shooting handheld - you'd have to lower the camera from your eye, change your grip to be able to reach the screen (unless you have a really long thumb ), do the touch thing then change your grip again and raise the camera to your eyes. With my K-5, I can do that while looking through the viewfinder.
Or having to turn on a bright LCD when shooting a concert, star trails etc.
Or when it rains, and the touchscreen doesn't like it.

If it won't take anything from the hard button/dial interface, I'm OK with a touchscreen though I don't find them particularly useful in a camera.
10-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #26
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,749
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Yup. There's a sensor that turns the touchscreen off and the EVF on when you bring the camera to your eye. IIRC, you can turn this sensor off and change its sensitivity. It's a really nice setup.
That seems to remove my objection. I have certainly learned to use a touch screen on my phone. And believe me it was a little traumatic learning that you could touch the numbers on the screen and it would dial.

I'm not sure I'll add my name to the "want touch screen now" camp but I'm willing to test it. As long as I can turn it off and still take pictures all is good.
10-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
I think it would not be good for the K-3, but for a second gen K-01 would be fine and would be great if it's also a tilt-swivel display just like the OM-D...
I can get on board with that.
10-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #28
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,043
The problem I have with touch screens is that they are really hard to operate with sweaty hands. If I am at the zoo and it is hot (or anywhere else) and I am sweating, I can't get my i phone to turn on. Drives me crazy. Otherwise, I wouldn't use it, but I don't care if it is there.
10-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #29
Forum Member
kricha6431's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silsbee, TX
Posts: 91
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
It seems like a touchscreen would go against the DSLR philosophy. They're made to be shot with an eye to the viewfinder, and the fingers on many well-placed buttons. Touch would really help with image review, but a touchscreen is much better suited to mirrorless, where that screen is an integral part of shooting. Tap anywhere in the frame to focus there, pinch zoom, all nice. Maybe on the K-02, but I don't think that camera will ever exist.
tell that to the folks who use the Canon 70D, and see what they have to say! from what i hear, it sounds like canon done a pretty good deal, but sad to say, it's not weather-sealed as the Pentax K-3, LOL
10-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,216
Also, besides shooting at night in dark places, some of us use Pentax for sports (believe it or not) and a touch-screen is not really useful for that.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-12-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: comma,
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, k-3, k3, pentax k-3, touchscreen
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 / K-5 II / K-50: Don't forget the extended warranty! Adam Pentax Price Watch 69 01-07-2015 12:56 AM
K-3 usb 3.0 rlatjsrud Pentax K-3 17 10-09-2013 01:32 PM
What do you think of Touchscreen for future Pentax DSLR's LeDave Pentax DSLR Discussion 34 03-25-2010 08:31 AM
Where's Pentax's compact touchscreen? Buddha Jones Pentax Compact Cameras 3 12-11-2008 09:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top