Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-3 - touchscreen

Does anyone feels that touchscreen would have been useful, especially with manual lenses and focus peaking - the way it's done in Sony nex.

Yusuf

10-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Does anyone feels that touchscreen would have been useful,
I know it is personal preference but I don't want a touch screen. Maybe I'm just getting old..............
10-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Me either. Drives me crazy keeping the screen clean as it is, definitely don't want my grubby little fingers all over it.
10-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Does anyone feels that touchscreen would have been useful, especially with manual lenses and focus peaking - the way it's done in Sony nex.

Yusuf
But you do realize that Sony nex does not have a viewfinder right? I don't want to use my nose to touch on my touchscreen when I am looking thru the viewfinder..

10-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It seems like a touchscreen would go against the DSLR philosophy. They're made to be shot with an eye to the viewfinder, and the fingers on many well-placed buttons. Touch would really help with image review, but a touchscreen is much better suited to mirrorless, where that screen is an integral part of shooting. Tap anywhere in the frame to focus there, pinch zoom, all nice. Maybe on the K-02, but I don't think that camera will ever exist.
10-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The Panasonic GH2 has a lot of physical controls and a touchscreen. I find it very useful, particularly for setting focus point
10-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My Pano' SD700 touch screen drives me nuts. No thanks to TS on a dSLR, I want real buttons and dials that I can use in any light.

10-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does the GH2 turn off the touch screen when looking through the viewfinder? Curious if there are problems when holding it to the eye.
10-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Does the GH2 turn off the touch screen when looking through the viewfinder? Curious if there are problems when holding it to the eye.
Yup. There's a sensor that turns the touchscreen off and the EVF on when you bring the camera to your eye. IIRC, you can turn this sensor off and change its sensitivity. It's a really nice setup.
10-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
It seems like a touchscreen would go against the DSLR philosophy.
Can you point me to that philosophy & not to forget, K-3 focus peaking & LV is from LCD only - so philosophy is all fine

But I can understand if there is a resistance, I went through the same but once I started seeing usefulness for composing anything off-center, now I feel it's indispensable. With MF lenses, On my k-01 or nex3/5, I have to zoom-in and start fiddling using 4-way controller, while on 5n, I just touch where I wan it to zoom-in for focus peaking and that's it. With AF lens, it's even simpler, it just focus where I want it to focus just by touching - no guess work, no need to use 4 way controller, just touch and shot is in focus.
10-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #11
Forum Member

Touchscreen is useful when reviewing, enlarging and deleting photos; selecting multi-options in info or setting menu; selecting focus point and trigger focusing.
I am delighted if K3 or future models are equipped with touchscreen only if 1)it can be on and off; 2)cost justified.

However if a DSLR is lack of it, i will not be disappointed.
10-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Yusuf
I don't.

As SKwan said, it could be useful in Play mode; but otherwise it would only hinder you.
The current interface is designed to allow the most important settings to be made with the camera at your eye, without looking (just by tactile feedback). And if it's dark, the last thing you'd want would be a bright LCD turning on all the time.

But the K-3 offers you a choice: use a FLU Card to wirelessly control the camera from your smartphone, then double-tape to stick your smartphone on the camera. Voila, touch screen DSLR!
10-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The current interface is designed to allow the most important settings to be made with the camera at your eye, without looking (just by tactile feedback). And if it's dark, the last thing you'd want would be a bright LCD turning on all the time.
I don't have the coordination and dexterity to make many adjustments with the camera to my eye. (And I've been using Pentax SLRs for 46 years - it isn't because I am new to them!) Zoom and shutter release is about it!

I am so dependent on looking at screens and buttons when setting the camera that I took my camera to my optician to have spectacles tailored to viewing scenes and handling cameras.
10-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't.

As SKwan said, it could be useful in Play mode; but otherwise it would only hinder you.
How would it hinder you?
10-12-2013, 05:08 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
But you do realize that Sony nex does not have a viewfinder right? I don't want to use my nose to touch on my touchscreen when I am looking thru the viewfinder..
But you do realize that the Sony NEX-6 or Nex-7 has the OLED EVF on the far left so your nose can't touch the screen.