Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The answer is simple : It's the best Pentax camera.

10-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

not interested

more feature creep

for digital the Q is great

for images through 8x10

K1000 goes to 11x14

still waiting for the full frame Pentax.

this isn't it.

sorry, not interested.
10-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #33
Site Supporter

A lot of discipline, ramen noodles and meatless meals - might get me one in the spring .
10-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #34
Veteran Member

If there's a firmware update that somehow "unlocks" the K-3 so that it will flash synch faster than 1/180, then I'll get one.

Oh, and I'll also wait for some real testing to show that it is better than the K-5 series...

EDIT: By the way, it looks like Pentax is going to offer an AC adapter for the K-3 as well as the K-5 series...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008376-REG/pentax_38780_k_ac132_ac_adapter_kit.html

10-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the idea of an optional AA filter, and like that Pentax was, yet again, the manufacturer to bring something revolutionary to market. Hopefully Ricoh can nail the financial aspect.....

From the review posted by Class A and kricha6431

"While we're sure Pentax has this new AA approach well-protected with patents, there's always the possibility of lucrative licensing arrangements for them. Given that, it's interesting to speculate on the extent to which this new AA technology might propagate throughout the industry. As we mentioned above, both Olympus and Sony have sensor-based image stabilization tech, so it seems that either could pretty easily adopt an approach like this, if they were able to license the concept from Pentax. Between these three companies, we could see quite a few cameras sporting this technology at some point in the future, and the capabilities of this approach wouldn't be easily replicable by Canon or Nikon.

It's not often that we label an imaging technology "revolutionary", but if ever one deserved to be called such, this is it. It's a fundamentally different approach to anti-aliasing, and one that appears to have surprisingly few downsides associated with it. For the first time ever, there's a camera on the market that lets the end-user decide when they want a low-pass filter, and when they don't, with little apparent penalty regardless of their choice. And it was Pentax that brought it to us."
10-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Why do they keep changing the control locations? How are you supposed to use the focus button and the zoom ring, or use it and support a heavy lens?

Last edited by adwb; 10-13-2013 at 01:59 AM.
10-13-2013, 02:19 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Why do they keep changing the control locations? How are you supposed to use the focus button and the zoom ring, or use it and support a heavy lens?
How often do you change these settings during a shot? Don't you choose AF-S or AF-C before you start to shoot. And the same for the focus point mode? And to access to AF mode button you will probably only have to move you thumb a bit, unless you use a very large lens handheld.
10-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #38
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
How many threads are you going to post the same questions in?

Keep changing the control locations? They have maintained the locations for 4 years and 2 (or is it 3) iterations of the flagship. If you mean between Models Kn, Knn, Knnn that is part of different model quality.

Concerning your specific complaint, you seem to be mistaking the Focus Mode button for the AF button (that used to be in the middle of the 3 way AF mode lever). The new location of the AF button is just to the right of the rear edial. Which when I tried it out on a preproduction I found easier.

How often did you find yourself moving the AF selection lever with the K7/5? If it was frequently, you'll find it easier to hold the AF mode button and move the front edial to select AF s,c or a... and far easier to hold it down and use the rear edial to change the number of focus points to be used.

10-13-2013, 02:44 AM   #39
Pentaxian

What will make you buy the K3? ...

... when my K5 dies.
10-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I think the only thing that could hold you back is that Pentax will inevitably release at least one more DSLR in the next 6 months, with at least one being a Full Frame. But even if you want FF, there's no telling how much it will cost, whether there will be 2 models, and whether any "entry priced" FF camera (if they even make one) will equal the performance of the K-3.
I hope Ricoh/Pentax will keep launching new cameras. This means that there is no generic optimum time to buy a camera.

What matters to me is "if I buy this camera, will I get more keepers and hopefully more winners in the near future than if I wait for the next one?".

I judged I would, therefore I've pre-ordered the K-3. I'll make a similar decision when the next camera is launched. (Examples: I never had a need to upgrade to the K20D, but waited for the K-7; and I never had a need to "upgrade" to a Q10, but waited for the Q7).
10-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I should say that I plan to get one, or at least my wife will get one which means I will use it. Planning to sell our two K5s and use a K3 and K5 II together.

My expectations are that it will have roughly the same image quality as the K5, maybe with a little improvement in resolution.

It will have better auto focus and better tracking. The K5 II is already better than the K5. This is one of the two big features for my wife. Shooting weddings, you often deal with not so great lighting and having a camera that can lock on in these is key. And I will have a better time locking focus on our kids running all over the place.

Two memory cards. This is a big deal for her as she is paranoid about losing photos -- backs things up multiple times. For me, it's like wearing my belt and suspenders -- just not that important.

Faster operation as compared to the K5. This is actually something that few people mention, but is a big deal. It is as annoying as can be when you take a five shot burst with the K5 and have to wait three or four seconds for the buffer to clear before you can chimp your photos. Sounds to me like the K3 is a lot faster in operation than preceding cameras.

Video, Flu Cards and new filters don't really matter to me, but I think the K3 has enough improvements to warrant upgrading.
10-13-2013, 05:43 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rupert Quote
what will make you buy the k3?
Money!
10-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Money!
Perhaps the best answer here!

Regards!
10-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #44
Veteran Member

What makes me buy the K-3?
Well, I'm planning to upgrade my K-7 after I envy the image quality of my K-01, I needed a better AF system and the K-3's new AF looks totally promising, has a great video features.
Why not just upgrade to K-5/II/s if you ask? Well, just add a few more hundred $ and you can get the latest and far more improved model...
10-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #45
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Money!
What, you have to be bribed? Just take in those spec's man!