Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
This may be shocking to you, so sit down and relax, but not everyone is in awe of owning a FF camera. Even more shocking, not everyone that goes FF is completely thrilled or all of a sudden finds themselves in Pro territory!

I try to feel guilty about not having much if any interest in FF, but so far haven't been able to shame myself.

Best Regards!
I am truly disappointed that Pentax did not have a full frame sensor on this new camera. After reading all the threads here where a lot of Pentax users have pined endlessly about the lack of FF and all the threatening of same to sell everything and forsake Pentax forever because of it, one wonders why the new camera does not have it.

I too would like to see a full frame sensor.

But, for sure, it is not a deal breaker for me. The other changes and additions to this new camera are tempting, even the 24mp sensor.

But the price is a bit steep considering the lack of a larger sensor.

I for one might feel better if Pentax would at least come out and explain why they did not step up and include the larger sensor in this "new and improved" camera.

Have I said how much I am disappointed that the new camera lacks a FF sensor?

*sigh*

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Well I am now unsure if I will purchase the new K3, or settle for a K5IIs as the price comes down. I will stick with Pentax, as I have been a Pentaxian since my first 35mm SLR many years ago (Actually it was a Ricoh XR2S, the "poor man's" K2DMD, but almost all of my lenses are Pentax). My peers criticized me for not buying a Nikon, Cannon or Minolta back then, some even said that after many years of hard use their NikoCannOlta would still be clicking away and my "cheap" Pentax would have long given up.

But I still have my original SLR, and if I choose to it would still be useful for taking photographs.

And the Pentax lenses that I have had for all those years still work on my DSLR Pentax bodies, without the need for adapters. The other guys cannot make the same claims.

So the full frame sensor would be nice to have, considering my collection of Pentax 35mm film lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
3) Based on your previous posts I assume you are being paid by Sony to troll other camera forums and push the Sony brand? Hope they are paying you a lot.
I was thinking the same thing . . . . . .

10-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't see much about flash performance. I'd like to see a very significant exposure improvement using bounce flash. I presently use a K20, so I'm a little behind the times, but haven't seen enough improvement to warrant spending money on an upgrade. So I'll be looking for flash performance. Otherwise, I may have to look to switch.
10-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #48

I'm still holding out for the K-1

-selectable FF or APS-C
-water proof
-ISO range 1-1,000,000
-4k video
10-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I too would like to see a full frame sensor.
Many would! Many like me are not that interested in FF, but it does appear that the K3 is going to be the top of the line APS-C camera this year, and looking at the features again, it is hard to imagine not being able to do most anything with this camera, and do it well. Of course, we will need to see more and know if those improvements are genuine, but if so, this is not a time to be sad by any means!

Regards!

10-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #50

. . . . . . this is not a time to be sad by any means!
Without a doubt my friend!
10-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Maybe this is the wrong place to post this, if so, someone will move it, no doubt.

I'm thinking of the K3, and although not committed yet, I have been trying to justify a purchase, although heaven knows, good justification never stood in my way on buying a camera or camera gear!

We won't have answers for a while yet, but here are my requirements that the K3 might just fulfill. It's a short list, since I am assuming it will be at least as excellent as my K5 (original) which has been a delight for me!

*AF- For once would love to have a Pentax that would focus as fast and as accurate as the Nikon cameras I have sampled over the past few years. Every time I pick up a Nikon, it is the first thing I notice. For once I would love to feel like I was shooting with a Nikon without having to leave my Pentax brand I love.

* WB- Although the K5 is no slouch in this area, better WB promised by the K3 could make a big difference in some situations. This could make a difference I could truly appreciate.

*Exposure- The promise of better exposure is always welcome in any camera. Again, the K5 is not bad by any means, but a marked improvement could sway me pretty fast.

With all the other features of the K3 I see, it looks like the perfect camera. Almost every base has been covered and every option necessary included. It is these three areas that will make me pull the trigger...or not.

I'd be interested in what will make you pull the trigger on the K3?

Best Regards!
IQ at least equal to the K5 when downsampled to 16mp.

All other improvements are more than welcome (especially AF), but the K5 has spoiled me for superb IQ, and I do not want to go backwards in that area.

I skipped the K7 when new for that very reason (IQ not as good as the K20), although I did buy one used as a K5 backup when it got cheap enough.

Ray
10-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Coming from an old K10D just about everything... AF particularly the tracking AF, low light AF, FPS, sensor, ISO, buffer UHS-1, flucard remote control, quiet shutter and drive motor, video and probably a lot more I haven't thought of?

This body is a dream come true if it lives up to the hype!!
10-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #53

Errr.. already ordered

10-14-2013, 04:53 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
IQ at least equal to the K5 when downsampled to 16mp.

All other improvements are more than welcome (especially AF), but the K5 has spoiled me for superb IQ, and I do not want to go backwards in that area.

I skipped the K7 when new for that very reason (IQ not as good as the K20), although I did buy one used as a K5 backup when it got cheap enough.

Ray
Is the IQ of the new camera not as good as the K5, K5II, K5IIs series?
10-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #55

I think the price is excellent for this camera. Once it comes down a little bit, or there is a sale, I am hopping on the K-3 bus.
10-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Not sure to be interested in the K-3 since I'm pretty happy with the K-30.
For the moment I prefer to keep my money for the Sigma 18-35/1.8 or the Ricoh (or sony) FF.
10-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #57
Site Supporter

What would it take for me to buy a K-3?

1. My K-7 has to die and a K-5ii is no longer available new

or

2. An x-sync speed of 1/250.
10-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm still in the "Oh, wow--this is awesome!" stage with the K-5IIs and I don't relate much to specs plus I'm not turned on by some of the K-3 features (e.g., dual card slots.) Still, I expect that when we start getting "Dudes. this camera is 3x more awesomer than the K-5!!" reports from the beta testers, my trigger-finger is going to get pretty itchy. I'm hoping I can hold out until my birthday in March.
10-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #59
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have one K3 on the way, and I have two K5 classics.
I should be buying a few more K3's in the coming months.
For about $1500 with grip, it's a no brainer to upgrade to the K3.

Given a theoretical pixel density of APS-C, the K3 will probably be *the* APS-C DSLR from Pentax for the next 5 or so years.
I can't imagine anything but slight tweaks to the K3 over the next 5 years.

Given how perfect the K5 was to me, and how important it has been to every kind of genre I shoot, I think the K3 will be perfect until the K1/FF comes along.

Yeah, the K3 is going to be perfect, as far as I'm concerned!
10-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #60

I waiting for positive feedback on focus speed accuracy and low light focus accuracy.

Also waiting for feedback on the "pseudo" AA filter (sensor shake).

All the other features are additional candies if the 2 above are working as expected.

Max.