10-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #77
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
They're all black Pentaxes to her
Domestic camouflage I call it.
Which is why I will never get to own a silver camera
10-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #78

Photos: Gallery
Couldn't resist the deal from cr Kennedy - silver + grip + spare battery + flu card for $1599. The grip would cost $399 based on pricing for dgb4 and the battery $99 and the flu card $99.
Just ordered it. Hope swmbo does not find out anytime soon.
Essdubbya
10-15-2013, 02:46 AM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Maybe this is the wrong place to post this, if so, someone will move it, no doubt.

I'm thinking of the K3, and although not committed yet, I have been trying to justify a purchase, although heaven knows, good justification never stood in my way on buying a camera or camera gear!
First and foremost for me, photos should speak. No smearing. No magenta skins (or violet whites), no bluish casts or dull unconvincing colours. Good texture rendering. Good high iso performance.

10-15-2013, 03:26 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Huh? That reads like you are saying a 50mm on a FF is 33mm and 400mm is 266mm FOV.
He is saying that he is used to how his lenses behave on APS-C and they would feel different or odd on a full frame camera. This is an argument that I have heard many times in reverse for why people want a full frame -- "I just want my lenses to behave the way they always did on my Super Program."

Obviously the lens focal length doesn't change, but the field of view does change between formats.
10-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #81

I'll likely buy a K-3 if:
  1. The AF and other features perform as well in reality as they do "on paper."
  2. The IQ is excellent, especially at high ISOs, because I shoot often in low light.
  3. I can sell enough other camera gear to afford it. (If there's a black friday sale this year, which I don't really expect, I might jump on it.)
If it is confirmed, the reported quieter and faster AF motor for screw drive lenses will also make the camera more attractive to me.
10-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #82
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
SWCDNW doesn't know I got a KIIs when I shipped her and the kids up to visit her Mom for a month this summer. They're all black Pentaxes to her
Finally, I understand all those complaints about Ricoh on the back!
10-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #83
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Finally, I understand all those complaints about Ricoh on the back!
Yup.

10-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #84

Photos: Albums
Nah, not interested. BTW, I find the K-3 outdated...maybe Ricoh will colorize future versions..., Right now, priority is to ease the burden of my bag. Still waiting for a mirrorless FF. Perhaps a K-02 in the near future :-)
10-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #85
Veteran Member

I might bother. I might.

I live in Thailand. Anyone know where to get a K-3 in Thailand?
10-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #86
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My check list:

1. AF ... is it really that MUCH better than that of my K5 ?
1-B ..... will the AF.C be able to get me more "keepers" (i.e.: in focus, especially with "targets" moving toward the camera)
1-C .... tracking ??
2. low light "Metering" ... will it actually help when focusing in dim light with "moving targets" ? Not sure if I am saying this correctly.
3. handling ... better than the K5 ? Placement of the "new" buttons ?
4. Better OVF visibility ?
5. Final rendering - without any PP ... is it at least as good or better than the K5 re: dynamic range, colour balance ... etc.

As usual, I'll let people really test the heck out of it before making a final decision.

If those all check out ... I'm a buyer.

JP
10-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Why am I buying a K3?

24mp sensor will allow for more cropping

the shutter count on both my K5's are getting up there

new focus tracking

better light meter

better AF performance

better low light AF performance

dual SD card slots

possible tethering through wifi

faster buffer/write speeds

faster image review

better review screen

better video controls
10-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #88
Veteran Member

I'll buy it if the AF reports are good, and after I get DA 15 and DA 70
10-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #89
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Originally posted by tuco Quote Huh? That reads like you are saying a 50mm on a FF is 33mm and 400mm is 266mm FOV.

He is saying that he is used to how his lenses behave on APS-C and they would feel different or odd on a full frame camera. This is an argument that I have heard many times in reverse for why people want a full frame -- "I just want my lenses to behave the way they always did on my Super Program." Obviously the lens focal length doesn't change, but the field of view does change between formats.
What he said. Just pointing out there are other viewpoints. If you started with APS-C, or have used only APS-C for a while then going to FF is going to make all your lenses look funny. Many (if not most) of the posts from folks arguing for FF revolve around "I want my FF lenses to look like they did on my film camera", but what if I want my lenses to look like they always do, on APS-C? My 50mm is now looking like only a 33mm??

OK, the original comment was mostly in jest, I started on film but honestly I don't remember that far back and I have tremendous respect for those who can clearly remember what those lenses looked like on FF. I don't, and I'm perfectly happy with APS-C right now. Would I go FF if it were available? Maybe, but not for the 'look' everyone nostalgically remembers. Only if it would improve my photography. And younger people just coming into this that started with APS-C are used to the way a lens looks on APS-C and have quite possibly never seen what it looks like on FF. So if you get your wish and we get a FF, then it is going to just ruin the way my lenses look.
10-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What he said. Just pointing out there are other viewpoints. If you started with APS-C, or have used only APS-C for a while then going to FF is going to make all your lenses look funny. Many (if not most) of the posts from folks arguing for FF revolve around "I want my FF lenses to look like they did on my film camera", but what if I want my lenses to look like they always do, on APS-C? My 50mm is now looking like only a 33mm??

OK, the original comment was mostly in jest, I started on film but honestly I don't remember that far back and I have tremendous respect for those who can clearly remember what those lenses looked like on FF. I don't, and I'm perfectly happy with APS-C right now. Would I go FF if it were available? Maybe, but not for the 'look' everyone nostalgically remembers. Only if it would improve my photography. And younger people just coming into this that started with APS-C are used to the way a lens looks on APS-C and have quite possibly never seen what it looks like on FF. So if you get your wish and we get a FF, then it is going to just ruin the way my lenses look.
For me, most of my lenses simply wouldn't work too well, so I'd either need to run two systems, or buy new lenses.

I'd be tempted if Pentax bought out a FF, 24-70 f2.8 out to have a go, but there are a lot of if, buts, maybes out there with it... like price, longevity, how well said lens works on my APS-C bodies etc.

Looked at how much it would cost me for a simple D600+24-70+70-200mm combo and it made my eyes water. Even this new sony A7, I suspect, once you've bought the lens, we are still talking serious cash.