Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having some cash to spare is what it will take in my case. I remain v. happy with my K 5 so won't mind waiting a bit.

10-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Intersting series of comments. One recuring theme is "I have recent model and cannot justify for the incremental difference". This does represent a difficulty for producers of expensive items. Many customers cannot justify (or afford) to buy every model issued and so buy one, let a few pass them by and then get another. Makers need a large group of loyal customers who will enable the sales of sufficient numbers of the whole series of models and have intersting enough products to be competitive to attract in new customers. All that said, the K3 is tempting a tthe moment. That is based on recently handling a K5 and seeing how much easier it was to use than the K100DS. But if I get it I would be looking at it being the camera for about a decade. Probably pass the older one on to my daughter.
10-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #63

Photos: Gallery
I've decided to make the purchase mostly on the AF system upgrades and the increase in pixels. And because it was just about time to replace my well-used K-5 anyway.

eta: Oh also the way they are handling the AA filter. LOVE having the option.
10-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a big jump over the K5 series, that's the big draw - everything from dual slots with wireless tethering to a smart control layout added to the improved autofocus etc. should make this attractive. I had no desire to move from K5 to K5IIs despite the filterless sensor being potentially very good for macro.

This K3, though, that's a big jump to what I think most of us really wanted to see.

That said, my budget will keep me from getting this anytime soon.

10-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #65

AF
10-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serpiente Quote
AF
This ^^

It could be 16MP, unchanged since the K-5 except with great AF speed and accuracy, and I'd buy it.

It can have all the amazing 8.3 this, dual that, 24 MP the other, and if the AF isn't *much* better, I'm not interested.

Of course, if it's both, then I'll be trampling over everyone to get it.

Here's hoping, eh?
10-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
This ^^

It could be 16MP, unchanged since the K-5 except with great AF speed and accuracy, and I'd buy it.

It can have all the amazing 8.3 this, dual that, 24 MP the other, and if the AF isn't *much* better, I'm not interested.

Of course, if it's both, then I'll be trampling over everyone to get it.

Here's hoping, eh?
More processing speed would also be nice, but I am satisfied with the IQ of the K5. AF is mandatory.

10-14-2013, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #68
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The fact that 'She who can do no wrong' said I could get a new lens. I said I had enough but there's new camera I'm interested in. To which she foolishly replied that I should buy it instead. What more can I say? Plus AF, faster burst, focus peaking for these old eyes, less time waiting for each RAW shot to save especially on nighttime bulb, the ability to crop to a greater extent without loss.
P.S.
SWCDNW doesn't know I got a KIIs when I shipped her and the kids up to visit her Mom for a month this summer. They're all black Pentaxes to her
10-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
2) It's full frame which means all my lenses will look funny. My F 50mm f/1.7 will look like a 33mm, my A 400mm will only look like 266mm
Huh? That reads like you are saying a 50mm on a FF is 33mm and 400mm is 266mm FOV.
10-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
SWCDNW doesn't know I got a KIIs when I shipped her and the kids up to visit her Mom for a month this summer. They're all black Pentaxes to her
I hope for your sake she also doesn't read this thread
10-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #71
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I hope for your sake she also doesn't read this thread
She doesn't read PF. Unfortunately, she does read minds. Her Grandfather was a very respected Shaman; I guess it's in the genes.
10-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #72
Veteran Member

I want FF....

but then I probably will buy a K-3, I bought a K5IIs not long after it was announced....even though I already have a K5. Impressed with the AA filter-less.
want K3 for the video, the higher MP, then the (advertised better than K5IIs) AF. Worry about its ISO performance - if they are better than K5IIs, really nice.
10-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #73
Pentaxian

AF. Faster processing, I dislike waiting for machines to process. Did I say AF?

I wanted a second body so I can get something serviced. I seriously looked at the k 5 iis, but waited to see what the rumors produced. Looks like I'll get more than I wanted. Pre ordered with the flucard.

The aa filter is another reason.

We shall see, but I suspect that after a couple of upgrades this may have features that will surprise us. In many ways this is a ground up redesign. It just looks very similar. The firmware will be at a point where it is stable, with the major features working. I have no doubt that there will be some glitches, but its out, on the market in peoples hands, fixes and improvements can come. Ricoh seems to have the sense that they need to be in the market with a steady stream of products. They need to make it attractive to have their stuff, going up against well established competitors. Nikon will respond in the aps-c segment, Ricoh will have to fight to gain and keep any foothold they have. That means they will be standing on their heads to make me and you happy, no purposely crippling their products.

I expect feature introduction firmware updates.
10-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Did I say AF?
Just out of speculation since nobody has a K-3 to prove anything one way or another - I think the upgrade from a K-5 will be a good one - from a K-5IIs just incremental.
10-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #75
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
If there's a firmware update that somehow "unlocks" the K-3 so that it will flash synch faster than 1/180, then I'll get one.
It will be a long wait (∞). Doing so requires that the curtains actually move faster than they currently do...not exactly a firmware type of fix.

Steve