Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
For me, most of my lenses simply wouldn't work too well, so I'd either need to run two systems, or buy new lenses.

I'd be tempted if Pentax bought out a FF, 24-70 f2.8 out to have a go, but there are a lot of if, buts, maybes out there with it... like price, longevity, how well said lens works on my APS-C bodies etc.

Looked at how much it would cost me for a simple D600+24-70+70-200mm combo and it made my eyes water. Even this new sony A7, I suspect, once you've bought the lens, we are still talking serious cash.
Get the Tamron 28-75 (250) and the old AF-D 70-200 (500). You lose VR but you gain it back through the high ISO. FF lenses are very affordable if you know which ones to buy and dont demand perfect corners / VR

The Tamron and the old AF-D isn't the sharpest in the corner even at f/8, but I got my primes for that.

10-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My plan is to buy it in about 6 months.
A few reasons: I'm decided (slightly arbitrarily) to put aside $50 per week for it starting from the announcement date. I don't notice $50 per week, so when I do buy the camera, it will feel like it was 'free'! I now already have $150 at time of writing...
Second reason, any issues in manufacturing (remember the K-5!) should have been ironed out by then, so I'll have less to worry about. Early adopters face a bit of risk, though it should be very minimal under Ricoh.

I'm also being swayed by mirror less, due to size and weight, but I not aware of mirror less wide angle options that match what I can get with my 15 limited or 10-20. So there's a risk of an alternative option popping up before I get a K-3. Then there's the side issue of whether to upgrade my 55-300 to the wr version and the AF360 likewise?

My main concern with the K-3 is the battery life seems to be pretty low?

In all my shooting on the K-7, I've never had the battery display change from 'full'. I've never found out how long it lasts, it just seems to go forever. I just charge it on Friday night. I guess I could risk not charging it and find out. With the K10d I had to carry a spare battery.

Last edited by calsan; 10-16-2013 at 08:29 PM.
10-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
The new Prime III processor is a lot more powerful and since they have increased the MPs by 50% it takes a lot more power to process all that at 14-bits and 8.3fps. Higher speed AF = more power. I don't know if using the SR for moire reduction is increasing power consumption, but turning it off might help.

A lot of newer, faster technology that requires more power, but its the same old battery.

My guess is that if you AF-S you get much better battery life than if you shoot AF-C.
10-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #94
rjm
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My cold-blooded (ok, cynical) analysis is that the smartest course of action is to buy a used K-5IIs in 4-6 months time.

As a self-labelled, card-carrying amateur, depreciation on camera bodies hits hard - no way can I justify losing $3-400 a year in depreciation on this hobby, or, frankly, paying out more than $1000 for camera body.

The preorder K-3 price and the current sale price on the Canon 6D are within spitting distance. That, if nothing else, should be pause for thought.

10-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What it would take would be some actual use by folks which indicates that the body will be a significant practical improvement over my K5. My Kx still delivers great photos, as does the K10d even with fewer mp.

Oddly, the feature of the K3 which piques my interest most is the tethering to a smartphone. I searched and searched this year to find that kind of device which would work with the K5. The best I could do was an external monitor for the HDMI port.
10-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #96

For me, it's all about focus.

I really need more accurate AF.C
I shoot street candids and my K5 is frustrating when focusing on people walking towards the camera.

I also need more accurate AF.S in low light situations (street shooting in the evening) and in situations with really harsh sunlight (i.e., street fairs in mid-day).

This may be a false perception, but it seems to me that my K5 focus has deteriorated somewhat this year (in it's 3rd year of use). Even on street portraits (with a static subject), I take a lot of time to let the lens stop hunting and take multiple shots for insurance. I don't know why this is... but perhaps one of the latest firmware upgrades changed the lens calibration? Or maybe I've messed up things by shooting directly into the sun too many times? Or maybe I'm just imagining things and making excuses for my mediocre skills.

Anyway, I pre-ordered a K-3 today.
10-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #97
Pentaxian

As of now I'm immune to the siren call - the K-5 has all I 'need' with a K-01 as decent backup. As we all know, needs can be redefined under pressure!

Several of the features are welcome but not important enough to how I shoot; this may steer me toward a II or IIs as lower-light AF is a larger item for me than the extra AF points - but of course I can have both in the K-5... In any case a change in bodies is several months away, and the K-5 must visit CRIS for warranty service first.

10-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bats Quote
This may be a false perception, but it seems to me that my K5 focus has deteriorated somewhat this year (in it's 3rd year of use). Even on street portraits (with a static subject), I take a lot of time to let the lens stop hunting and take multiple shots for insurance. I don't know why this is... but perhaps one of the latest firmware upgrades changed the lens calibration?
Probably belongs on another thread, but funny you should mention that, because I have exactly the same perception about my K5 and was wondering if the SAFOX X in the K5 II would help.
10-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
My plan is to buy it in about 6 months.
A few reasons: I'm decided (slightly arbitrarily) to put aside $50 per week for it starting from the announcement date. I don't notice $50 per week, so when I do buy the camera, it will feel like it was 'free'! I now already have $150 at time of writing...
Second reason, any issues in manufacturing (remember the K-5!) should have been ironed out by then, so I'll have less to worry about. Early adopters face a bit of risk, though it should be very minimal under Ricoh.

I'm also being swayed by mirror less, due to size and weight, but I not aware of mirror less wide angle options that match what I can get with my 15 limited or 10-20. So there's a risk of an alternative option popping up before I get a K-3. Then there's the side issue of whether to upgrade my 55-300 to the wr version and the AF360 likewise?

In all my shooting on the K-7, I've never had the battery display change from 'full'. I've never found out how long it lasts, it just seems to go forever. I just charge it on Friday night. I guess I could risk not charging it and find out. With the K10d I had to carry a spare battery.
Yes, and with two fresh batteries in the camera and battery grip plus an extra charged battery in the bag, I can take photos almost forever!
10-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Probably belongs on another thread, but funny you should mention that, because I have exactly the same perception about my K5 and was wondering if the SAFOX X in the K5 II would help.
Not a false perception at all. Went through the same with 2 K-5 bodies which I attributed to "AF Float". After many months of testing and CRIS being involved, moving to the K-5IIs solved the issue totally.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/218145-k-5-iis-focus-consistency-vs-k-5-a.html
10-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Not a false perception at all. Went through the same with 2 K-5 bodies which I attributed to "AF Float". After many months of testing and CRIS being involved, moving to the K-5IIs solved the issue totally.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/218145-k-5-iis-focus-consistency-vs-k-5-a.html
Yup, me three. And it's one of the main reasons I'm looking to eventually buy a K-3, though that would cement me firmly as a "fool me twice, shame on me" candidate if the K-3 also turns out to have some significant problem. And so I will wait and see.

In the meantime, I'm almost exclusively using my K-01, because it gets me good, clean, sharp shots. As long as nothing moves.
10-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #102
Forum Member

I'm waiting for a few things: price drop, for RAW images to be supported by AfterShot Pro, any initial manufacturing details to be fixed. So probably in about 6 months or so.
10-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #103
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drei3 Quote
I'm waiting for a few things: price drop, for RAW images to be supported by AfterShot Pro, any initial manufacturing details to be fixed. So probably in about 6 months or so.
Oh, I quite liked the K5 approach, sell you a camera. Immediately increase its buffer size. Then you can use, and abuse, it for 3 months. Really get to understand it. Then send if off for a nice new sparkling replacement.
10-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote

The problem with jumping to the K3 is that it is yet another new system, and we don't know how it will work in 6 months. Based upon that thread, the now-proven K-5 IIs might be a surer bet. The low-light performance of the K-5 autofocus has been a big disappointment, but the front-focus in mine happens outdoors as well.
10-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Aside from the infamous Flip Wilson "The Devil Made Me Do It" (did I age myself just a little there ha!) There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that I can think of where I need to have a K3 - this alone will likely be the reason I buy one.

It's good to have a 'plan' so I will sell some gear I have not used in a while this of course this was the 'unexecuted' plan for the K5 IIs purchase as well Damn Devil .............. If I don't get one before an upcoming trip (early December) I'll be 'safe' until spring / summer.