Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

The more I hear about this camera, the more excited I get!

10-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Thanks for posting your impressions.

Compared to your K-30, how is the difference in viewfinders?
10-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I want a definitive accurate list of what has changed from the K5 to the K3. The stupid change in how the info button displays info on a review was never mentioned in any review I read when Ricoh fiddled with it on the K30 and I suppose the k successors to the 30.

The changing of the flash software that stopped ,till they caught up , third party flashes working was never mentioned either.

The constant change in control positions does not impress me either, I see the focus button is now where the focus selector is on a K5 how the heck are you supposed to use that and turn the zoom ring quickly or use it and support a heavy lens?
10-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Thanks for posting your impressions.

Compared to your K-30, how is the difference in viewfinders?
Subjective comment: It wasn't stark, but I consider the K-30 viewfinder to already be very good. Having said that, I noticed no concerns with the viewfinder when using it. It was large and bright.

10-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Hearing about the quieter screwdrive is fantastic!
10-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One thing I forgot to mention yesterday, while fiddling with the camera with the lens off with the Pentax guy, we noticed the horizon correction in full operation - you could see the sensor physically tilted by a significant amount - and it changing if you lent the camera in the other direction.

Now I've no idea if this is a K5 series feature, but it struck me as pretty useful if you're using a tripod on uneven ground, or trying to take a shot quickly. And yes it can be done in post, but isn't it always nicer if the issue isn't there in the first place.
10-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

It makes me wonder if Pentax used any ideas from the DC drive unit in the 18-135 WR lens to build this new K3 motor. I'm sure its a special motor on it's own.

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
No more noisy in-body AF motor!

From the K-5 II review (emphasis added):
...and Ricoh actually put a brushless motor into the K-3!

Ricoh listened, and they delivered!

--DragonLord

10-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
Subjective comment: It wasn't stark, but I consider the K-30 viewfinder to already be very good. Having said that, I noticed no concerns with the viewfinder when using it. It was large and bright.
Thank you. I'll have to find one somewhere and look myself, as the K-30 and K-5 viewfinders are a problem for me with extended use. I was really hoping Pentax would up the game and put a larger, higher eyepoint viewfinder in the K-3.
10-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Pentax is certainly weird

If they did put a new quieter-brushless motor into K3 ( I'm interested in other sources to substantiate this), I would think Pentax would have made mention.

They have tended to be extremely quiet about their advances in past. This obviously is much less so now. I'll have to surf over the details again at the ricoh website.

Anyone recall if Pentas has illustrated or made mention of any of this new (albeit from the street and pre-production) finding?
10-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Thank you. I'll have to find one somewhere and look myself, as the K-30 and K-5 viewfinders are a problem for me with extended use. I was really hoping Pentax would up the game and put a larger, higher eyepoint viewfinder in the K-3.
I guess this is a matter of personal taste. Although I find the Canon viewfinders very cramped in comparison to Pentax ones, not that I've used Canon much. I didn't feel particularly enthralled by the finder int the 5DMKIII when trying a friends out.

RE the screwdrive motor, it may be worth trying to find the marketing materials from the K5 when it launched. It may be the same motor, and just my lack of experience. But for me, coming from a K30, it would be a step up.
10-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #26
Veteran Member

...we noticed the horizon correction in full operation - you could see the sensor physically tilted by a significant amount - and it changing if you lent the camera in the other direction.

Now I've no idea if this is a K5 series feature...
Yes, it is.
10-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Yes, it is.
Still cool! I had no idea...
10-13-2013, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still cool! I had no idea...
You have Horizon Correction on your K-30, too.
10-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday, while fiddling with the camera with the lens off with the Pentax guy, we noticed the horizon correction in full operation - you could see the sensor physically tilted by a significant amount - and it changing if you lent the camera in the other direction.

Now I've no idea if this is a K5 series feature, but it struck me as pretty useful if you're using a tripod on uneven ground, or trying to take a shot quickly. And yes it can be done in post, but isn't it always nicer if the issue isn't there in the first place.

The horizon correction on my K5 is and never was right. I disabled it and never used it again. I have no idea if it works on my K5-IIs or not. I hope that the K3 version allows the user to correct for it in the firmware if it is off. I like the idea of the feature as I tend to tilt the camera a bit while taking photographs. Benn doing it for decades, It is something I am aware and it is part of my pre shot routine to check for.
10-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

K-3 shutter noise (relative to the AF beep) recording......... K-3 noise