Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3 3.2" LCD - Are there Screen Protectors to fit?

Hi,

Probably getting ahead of myself (but heh, I've got time on my hands until my K3 arrives in November) - I note that the LCD is a new size i.e.3.2" but from what I can tell by a quick search Giotto and GGS to name 2, no-one seems to make a 3.2" protector. I guess they will at some point, to meet demand, but does anyone of a manufacturer that currently does?

Thanks,
John

10-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Protect against what?
I've used digital cameras since 2001 and never scratched or damaged an LCD yet. (I take my gear to khanacross events, plenty of dust and grit to be had there!)
I see friends with Nikons that come fitted with the plastic cover and they are always full of cr*ap and make viewing the screen harder.
I've just never seen a need for sticking things on my LCD. Do the camera manuals recommend it?
10-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Protect against what?
I've used digital cameras since 2001 and never scratched or damaged an LCD yet. (I take my gear to khanacross events, plenty of dust and grit to be had there!)
I see friends with Nikons that come fitted with the plastic cover and they are always full of cr*ap and make viewing the screen harder.
I've just never seen a need for sticking things on my LCD. Do the camera manuals recommend it?
Howdy Sledger (appropriate name)

No the manuals don't recommend it and I'm glad you've had no problems - however I've have successfully managed to scratch screens in the past, hence my interest.

rgds
10-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to wait for ACMAXX to release a new set of protectors for the K-3... been using a set on my K20D for a good few years now - almost like it's part of the camera itself.

10-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JB Hi-FI have electrostatic protectors for Ipod/Ipads and note books you cut to fit so that may be your solution. They are reasonably priced and are anti-glare as well.

Last edited by eaglem; 10-12-2013 at 08:53 PM.
10-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
JB Hi-FI have electrostatic protectors for Ipod/Ipads and note books you cut to fit so that may be your solution. They are reasonably priced and are anti-glare as well.
In a similar fashion, you may consider plastic cover for books. Once cut to the right size, they fit nicely. A roll coast less than $5....

I have used both book plastic cover and a dedicated LCD cover like Hoodman Super Hoodskins (Model SHSK 3) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database. I consider them indispensable, because I did scratch my LCD cover before.
10-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The screen is glass. No need to protect it. Same with the K-5II.

10-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frankoz Quote
Perhaps you confusing 'sledger' (someone who rides a sledge/sled/sleigh?) with 'sledging' (cricketers profanity/insults)?
10-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
The screen is glass. No need to protect it. Same with the K-5II.
Agreed. I used to believe you needed a protector, but I started going without several bodies ago. Never managed to damage a screen yet. And I'm really obsessive about my gear. Ask anyone who's ever bought anything from me.
10-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frankoz Quote

No the manuals don't recommend it and I'm glad you've had no problems - however I've have successfully managed to scratch screens in the past, hence my interest.

rgds
I managed to scratch the K5 screen when taking a screen protector off!
10-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Glass can still be scratched. It's just less likely for it to happen. And all screen protectors degrade the image somewhat.
10-20-2013, 04:23 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Look at the right edge of the LCD on the K-3

That's one steep bevel there. I'll bet most (if not all) screen protectors won't fit.

Worse for those like me who have bad eyes I'll bet magnifying hoods that rely on raised screen protectors or magnetic frames won't fit, either!

I don't like the idea of shelling-out $200 - $300 for one of those Hoodman hoods that connect to the bottom screw socket. Besides those interfere with quick-release plates.