Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #61
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Photos are the domain of the bride, so who cares what the Groomsmen look like?
Oh boy am I in trouble, since for the wedding I plan to photograph the groom is the one arranging things with me. No idea why?

10-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
It think the 'Professional' moniker attached to photography hardware is often geared towards well monied amateurs.
Unless of course the hardware is geared toward a pro. I know several "well-monied" amateurs who shoot with the same gear favored by pros, but that does not change the reason why the gear is favored by the pro user.

The example that comes to mind would be almost any medium format film SLR or rangefinder camera. Pick up the camera and play with the controls. Mount/dismount the lens. Cycle the shutter. Bring the camera to the eye and squeeze off a few frames. Now do the same with a consumer-level SLR of the same vintage. The difference is readily apparent. At least it is apparent to me. It is that difference that leads me to lust after a Pentax 645N or a Hasselblad or a Bronica or any number of very wonderful tools that were/are targeted at the professional market.

Steve

(...me = not well-monied...)
10-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
However, how I *carry* myself when out shooting is also part of being a "Professional".
Very good! I frequently am singled out by security guards and such because of my confidence with the gear and how I approach the subject. "Amateur photography only..." Ha! Ha! I tell them that I am a hobbyist and do it for fun and creative outlet only.

Steve
10-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Very good! I frequently am singled out by security guards and such because of my confidence with the gear and how I approach the subject. "Amateur photography only..." Ha! Ha! I tell them that I am a hobbyist and do it for fun and creative outlet only.

Steve
You wouldn't have that problem if you used an I-pad

10-14-2013, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #65
Forum Member

I don't consider myself Pro Photographer! But I'll give my description:
Being a Pro Photographer means getting paid for what you do regardles of what Brand or even the expense you put into your gear! and YOU DON'T have to have the the most expensive camera in the world! But, YOU DO need to know how to use your gear with WHAT YOU HAVE!
Just my $.0.02
10-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Being a professional is about what you know, what you do and how you do it.
10-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Oh boy am I in trouble, since for the wedding I plan to photograph the groom is the one arranging things with me. No idea why?
Ah - I bet the groom will be happy anyway, if you make his bride look terrific!

10-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #68
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Ah - I bet the groom will be happy anyway, if you make his bride look terrific!
Then I'm luckey since his future wife was modelling before for my camera.
10-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #69

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
What exactly is Professional to you?
Those who behave as such (so attitude), regardless of make a living from it, and able to give consistent result.
I understand that my position will be certainly a minority but I think that even the most entrenched conventions should be questioned, in the end I think that each of us, in the most diverse fields, I have seen people who, while coming in perfectly canonical descriptions, aren't sufficiently good, on one or both the above points.

Instead about the endless discussion relating to equipment I think the a gear able to facilitate the job got obtain consistent result more easy matter and depending on the situations could be determinant, despite the photograph is an artistic field and modern camera has reached really high quality feautures.

Last edited by alexfoto; 10-20-2013 at 10:38 AM.
10-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #70
Banned

How many of you are applying the knowledge from this thread to go pro?
10-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
How many of you are applying the knowledge from this thread to go pro?
What do you mean by pro?
10-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I spent a summer working with a master carpenter. He was a 'professional' in any possible sense of the word. He was a 'master' at his trade and knew more about getting things built than I ever imagined there was to know.

His tools were the most motley collection of beat up, cheap, used, over used and downright disreputable things I have ever seen. If he could not lay hands on a hammer a length of steel pipe was just fine with him. His only focus was on getting the job done to the best possible standard. And his standards were very high. We spent an entire day redoing work because we were 1/4" out over 30 feet, most any other carpenter I've ever worked with would have been delighted at a 1/4" deviation.

Amateurs worry about gear, professionals only worry about the end result.

+1

+1
I remember many years ago when I worked in the trades. When someone would show up with complete set of shiny tools we knew they where green. It is all about how you use the tools, know their weaknesses and strengths.
10-26-2013, 02:44 AM   #73
Veteran Member

A professional photographer captures more than just the visible spectrum of light and a good photograph is far more than the resulting two-dimensional image.

Does the image convey emotion to, or cause an emotional response in the viewer?

Does the image communicate information greater than the two-dimensions? By this I mean, does the photo tell a deeper story?

Whether it's taken with a PhaseOne, a Mamiya Leaf, a Pentax K-3 or a Polaroid, a good or great image needs to meet either or preferably both of these criteria.

Here's a good example of what I mean. This photograph by James Nachtwey strongly meets both criteria.

Last edited by Parry; 10-26-2013 at 02:54 AM.
10-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Why is this thread in the K-3 forum?
10-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Why is this thread in the K-3 forum?

I think it's because it's origins were in a rant about the K-3 not really being enough to be considered a "pro" camera. This thread was started to ask, "What is 'pro' anyway?"