Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How will you use dual memory cards?
Extra capacity (overflow) 3527.13%
Backup (write same data to both cards) 3426.36%
Raw on one card, jpeg on the other 4031.01%
Photos on one card, video on the other 75.43%
Other (please explain) 1310.08%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
That brings to mind another possible use for dual SD cards, maybe someone already mentioned it.

The dual SD cards should actually allow the writing speed to double for multiple shooting. Unless the two cards are sharing a common bus then the only bottleneck is the card write speed itself, so writing to two cards should give about double the data rate. I guess it would need to be done such that photos are sent alternately between the cards. So for instance you get the even numbers on one card and the odd on the other.

This would also work as a backup of sorts. Not by actually having a second copy but in that at least you will have half your photos in case of failure, and the half you have will not be the first half or last half but alternate photos.
I wondered if that would be an option. It would be great for high-FPS action.

But it isn't mentioned in the specifications. Is there a bottleneck in the camera? Or haven't they thought of it?

10-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
But I was under the impression the tethering functions of the FLU will only work with the K-3?
As far as I know, yes. I've pre-ordered a K-3. I won't be able to upgrade the tethering of my earlier cameras.

PK Tether uses the much more limited tethering features of previous K-series cameras. Pentax k-x, K7, K5, K-5II(s), k-r, K20D, K10D, K200.

Last edited by Barry Pearson; 10-14-2013 at 03:24 AM.
10-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Me too, I've already ordered the FLU card. To me that's about the most exciting thing since sliced bread.
The same here, on both counts.
10-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I wondered if that would be an option. It would be great for high-FPS action.

But it isn't mentioned in the specifications. Is there a bottleneck in the camera? Or haven't they thought of it?
There might be a clue in the video posted on another thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-3/239165-new-k3-youtube-video.html

At 03:06 he says "For faster image transfer the K-3 is equipped with dual SD card slots". Not sure though whether he is talking about transferring to the PC and such (probably) or transfer of the images from the camera's buffers to the cards.

10-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #35
Site Supporter

The dual SD cards should actually allow the writing speed to double for multiple shooting. Unless the two cards are sharing a common bus then the only bottleneck is the card write speed itself, so writing to two cards should give about double the data rate. I guess it would need to be done such that photos are sent alternately between the cards. So for instance you get the even numbers on one card and the odd on the other.
I was wondering about that, too. Alternate writing should make clearing the buffers faster. Would be very nice for the action shooters if that was an option.

For me, though, backup would be first choice. I have had cards go bad on me. I'd be rather upset if that happened to me on an exotic holiday.
10-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #36
Veteran Member

There might be a clue in the video posted on another thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-3/239165-new-k3-youtube-video.html

At 03:06 he says "For faster image transfer the K-3 is equipped with dual SD card slots". Not sure though whether he is talking about transferring to the PC and such (probably) or transfer of the images from the camera's buffers to the cards.
I assumed (without further evidence) that it referred to the ability to put raw and JPEGs on different cards. But if it can put alternate images on different cards, with parallel writing, that would be a super option!
10-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I'll be using the second as backup when I do weddings and other gig. On everyday use I'd simply use the extra card as extra capacity.
10-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #38
Site Supporter

I'm waiting for reviews and members' experience of the FLU card. If it works as advertised, I will want one permanently in the second slot.

10-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On my Nikon D7000, I originally had one for RAW and another for JPG. It was very inconvenient if I wanted to delete and image. I had to delete the RAW on one card, then go to the other and delete the JPG. Using it for overflow, or possibly video, if you do video, seems to be the most convenient use.
10-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
As far as I know, yes. I've pre-ordered a K-3. I won't be able to upgrade the tethering of my earlier cameras.

PK Tether uses the much more limited tethering features of previous K-series cameras. Pentax k-x, K7, K5, K-5II(s), k-r, K20D, K10D, K200.
The K20D was the last Pentax camera shipped with tethering software, Pentax Remote Assitant 3. I don't know what capabilities it had vs PK Tethering.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-19-2013 at 03:00 PM.
10-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #41
Forum Member

Hoped to use FLU card.

Have been out to my local camera store in Edmonton, Alberta this afternoon to inquire about the K3 and associated stuff. They inform me that the K3 will be 1299.99 CAD, good so far, the BG5 battery pack will be 269.99 CAD, expensive since i thought price was 239.99 USD and finally and the biggest blow. The Pentax FLU card will not be available in Canada!! At least through them (McBain). Any other Canadians know of this or hopefully they have it wrong.

I'm tempted to order thru B and H as they have a good deal and also the BG5 is 199.99 USD and even with the conversion factor I'll be saving at least 40 CAD.

Cheers

Tim

Last edited by tjstimbo; 10-19-2013 at 02:46 PM.
10-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
the tethering functions of the FLU will only work with the K-3
Full camera remote control tethering will probably only work with the Pentax-branded FLU Card and the K-3.

But the generic FLU Card already offers apps that allow various limited tethering functions (automatic downloads, shoot-and-view, geotagging, FTP uploads, tagging etc) to work with Pentaxes older than the K-3.
10-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #43
Forum Member

Hi rawr:

No mention of why, just said that they have all info from Pentax-Ricoh Canada and the Pentax FLU card is not on the list, therefore they will not be stocking it. I have had a search on other Canadian camera store sites and can't find it listed. Additionally it is listed on Adorama site but not B and H, hoping that it is an oversight.

Tim
10-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tjstimbo Quote
Hi rawr:
No mention of why
As you can guess, I deleted my original post. Sorry.

it is probably just a matter of time before retailers and distributors update their catalogues to show the Pentax FLU Card as available . There is so much new camera gear appearing at the moment from everyone it must be hard to cope in retail.
10-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tjstimbo Quote
Hoped to use FLU card.

Have been out to my local camera store in Edmonton, Alberta this afternoon to inquire about the K3 and associated stuff. They inform me that the K3 will be 1299.99 CAD, good so far, the BG5 battery pack will be 269.99 CAD, expensive since i thought price was 239.99 USD and finally and the biggest blow. The Pentax FLU card will not be available in Canada!! At least through them (McBain). Any other Canadians know of this or hopefully they have it wrong.

I'm tempted to order thru B and H as they have a good deal and also the BG5 is 199.99 USD and even with the conversion factor I'll be saving at least 40 CAD.

Cheers

Tim
I ordered mine from Henrys...Not sure why it wouldn't be available here?

Here is the link: http://www.henrys.com/81869-PENTAX-FLUCARD-FOR-16GB-O-FC1.aspx