Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
For these kinds of shots, would a K-30 or K-50 be functionally as useful as a K-3 at a far lower price? The DXO sports ISO rating is doubtful to be all that much different (we don't really know but the 30/50 were pretty close to the K-5). Though I don't know his budget, if the OP pours the price differential on the bodies into a lens, he might come out with a better overall result.
Probably true, but they explicitly said that the K-3 interested them, and it might be for the combination of features, not just the sensor. They will be shooting action, and so probably need the best possible AF. K-3 will bring many converts with it!

10-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thoughts

Thanks again for the thoughts. I'll have to track down a good fast lens for outdoor work, but here I don't want to give up a wide angle factor since some of that shooting could be as close as 10' away.

BTW: the 'bridge' camera has been a Sony DSC-HX100v with a 30x optical zoom and a high of 3200 iso. But it's got horrible shutter lag, and a slow recycle factor. I can't get more than about 2 pics in the time frame that a decent camera (like a 5200 my friend just picked up at Costco) can get with about 20 shots. If I do the rapid burst mode, I'll get a quick 8 or 12 shots, but then it's about 5 seconds for the camera to write it out of the buffer (8g Sandisk "SDHC" card (30mb/s xfer rate - where are things now?). It's actually probably a very similar sensor to the K50, but just a less purpose built camera body. When indoor season comes, in a two minute routine, I am extremely unhappy.

I was just reading the K50 (partially for the give away), but that is not where I want to go. It basically says the autofocus isn't great, and the handling doesn't sound like it would be responsive enough. But one thought is that I can always focus on getting ready for indoor season, and get that really fast outdoor lens in about 6 months; it doesn't have to be all at once (great systems/packages are put together that way as anyone into any kind of hobby knows - ever been around "jeepers" or guys with Land Rovers?).

So for a first lens, I'll probably focus on a good med range, and look for a more really fast wide angle for outdoor use - just swap them if I need too while the light is good. Once indoor season starts, lighting isn't as much an issue (although white balance is).

And thanks for the reminder about the variable F on the zooms (I guess I really didn't specify all of that, but I've been dealing with lens like that for a long time, I just sort of assumed I didn't have to spell all of that out). But is is a little food for thought to look for a more constant f range. I appreciate that thought rbefly!

But while who wouldn't love "pro level" equipment, I think a decent camera body and a few good lens to start with would give me basically the same results. I guy I work with was telling me that he has about 8K into his Nikon gear, and now to some extent resents it. After doing a few friend's weddings, he really hasn't used it as much, and as he points out - true pros write most of it off. And after my daughter graduates from high school, I'm thinking my use will drop until this kids get married and out of college and we can afford to do more traveling etc. Life just goes through stages like that, doesn't it? At that point it the lenses are good, the next major body should still work with the lens I buy now. Right? (at least hopefully?).

And used doesn't bother me, so maybe I will start there, but add on over time.
10-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kjg48359 Quote
It's actually probably a very similar sensor to the K50, but just a less purpose built camera body.
The K-50 sensor is not at all similar, unless you count basic design (as in, they are both Bayer sensors). It should be miles ahead of what your Sony in practically everything.
As a thought, I've managed pretty nicely shooting stage performances and plays with a D5000 (4-year-old entry-level DSLR) and a Tamron 70-300 4-5,6, so variable-aperture zooms can be worked with.
10-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks again for the thoughts. I'll have to track down a good fast lens for outdoor work, but here I don't want to give up a wide angle factor since some of that shooting could be as close as 10' away.
Any lens with a wide angle to tele range like the 18-135 or 18-200-something lenses will mean a compromise on image quality. The high resolution of the K-3 will partly be a waste with such lenses. But since such a lens may be useful to you, you get the 18-135 for a very reasonable price if you buy it in a kit with the K-3, so as long as you're aware of its limitations, it may be a good start. And even after you've acquired better lenses, the 18-135 may be good for those days when you don't want to carry too much, or don't want to change lenses (like on a rainy day).

QuoteQuote:
It's actually probably a very similar sensor to the K50, but just a less purpose built camera body. When indoor season comes, in a two minute routine, I am extremely unhappy.
No, the Sony has a tiny sensor, you can't compare it to the K-50 sensor at all. That would be worse than comparing a Kodak Instamatic to your old film SLR.

The K-50 is much closer to the K-3 than you seem to think, it's a very capable camera. New buyers of DSLRs often make the error of investing too much in the body and almost nothing in lenses. But if you're ready to spend on lenses, too, of course the K-3 seems to be a camera that will give you better results for your purposes, and a camera that you will be satisfied with for a longer period of time (and thus not so much more expensive, after all!).

10-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's actually probably a very similar sensor to the K50.
No, it'll be rubbish like the travel cameras with long zooms usually are ... probably a 1/2.3 inch thing.

The K50 has a cropped full frame sensor.
10-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #21
Site Supporter

I was just reading the K50 (partially for the give away), but that is not where I want to go. It basically says the autofocus isn't great, and the handling doesn't sound like it would be responsive enough. But one thought is that I can always focus on getting ready for indoor season, and get that really fast outdoor lens in about 6 months; it doesn't have to be all at once (great systems/packages are put together that way as anyone into any kind of hobby knows - ever been around "jeepers" or guys with Land Rovers?).
Not sure where you read that but the K-50 is as fast focusing as anything Pentax has yet to sell except for maybe the K-5 II. Regardless, you would have an impossible time trying to determine which is faster focusing. The K-3 is designed to have better focusing but football season will be over before you can buy one. For what you've said is your mission, the K-30 and K-50 will work exceedingly well but, of course, you'll want that K-3 when you can finally get you hands on one.
10-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks

(Thanks Ichabad, but that's when indoor competitive season starts, and that's when that 70-200 F2.8 w/ the constant aperture will be needed). Cheer season is the longest of all sports at our high school, even if it is divided into outdoor and indoor (they'll cheer for basketball as well - all the way to April/May if Basketball goes far enough in the playoffs). And that's a whole lot faster than outdoor, but the lighting is consistent (at least, and 'usually' it's fairly bright).)

Ok. So lets start looking at what else in used glass might give one and advantage. I just came across the following:
Lens mount compatibility chart - www.similaar.com

Has anyone had experience with Leica "R" mounts?

I'm thinking there might be some supplemental glass outside of the weather sealing issues, true, that could still offer some outstanding value.
10-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Leica R mount on Pentax requires lens modification and still gives you only fully manual lens operation. Doesn't sound like somewhere you want to go if you don't happen to have a great R lens you'd like to modify.

10-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #24

Have you considered the FA*80-200 F2.8 ?

It's not WR, but since the zoom and focusing is internal, you can easily weatherproof it fairly good with a plastic bag.
10-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Have you considered the FA*80-200 F2.8 ?

It's not WR, but since the zoom and focusing is internal, you can easily weatherproof it fairly good with a plastic bag.
thanks timcatn, that won't be an issue got indoor use. !)
10-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #26
Forum Member

I've been using the Tamron 70-200 with my K5 for the last year and am happy to recommend it. I've used it for birds (in captivity); a couple of low light/indoor events and even for the astro-tracing and it performs well. K5 high ISO is fine - I would suggest K5 or K5ii at the current cheap prices due to K3 launch would be a very attractive buy. I have just orderd the K3 and am looking forward to getting my hands on it!
10-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LukeOB Quote
I've been using the Tamron 70-200 with my K5 for the last year and am happy to recommend it. I've used it for birds (in captivity); a couple of low light/indoor events and even for the astro-tracing and it performs well. K5 high ISO is fine - I would suggest K5 or K5ii at the current cheap prices due to K3 launch would be a very attractive buy. I have just orderd the K3 and am looking forward to getting my hands on it!
if I'm starting from scratch, the value I'd get from the k3 will far outweigh the couple of hundred of dollars I may save with a k5 over the long term. eventually once bought into a system, the price of the body gets spread out among the other components.
10-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #28
Forum Member

if I'm starting from scratch, the value I'd get from the k3 will far outweigh the couple of hundred of dollars I may save with a k5 over the long term. eventually once bought into a system, the price of the body gets spread out among the other components.
Good thinking - the K3 looks like it will be a long term performer. I am looking forward to working with it as my main machine and the K5 as one very capable back up