Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-3 - K-5 accessories compatibility

Hello all,

I am totally psyched about the latest Pentax K-3!

But my only concern is that I made a substantial investment in Pentax K-5 accessories, such as batteries, external DC power supply for the K-5, the battery grip, hot shoe mounted mic, Pentax GPS Unit O-GPS1, etc. Are these accessories compatible? I was speaking with a Camera shop clerk on the weekend and he told me that NONE of my K-5 accessories (even the O-GPS1) would be compatible with the K-3.

Even the O-GPS1? That cannot be true!

Can someone please set the record straight?

My decision to pre-order is going to be based upon how many accessories I'll need to replace.

Thank you

10-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The grip will not be compatible, batteries, GPS, mic and power supply will work.
10-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi

Pentax will launch several accesories along with K-3 which are also backward compatible with K-5 K-7 etc.

If they are backward compatible, that means the ports match exact same size, I think it will they should be forward compatible too.

Cheers!
10-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I was speaking with a Camera shop clerk on the weekend and he told me that NONE of my K-5 accessories (even the O-GPS1) would be compatible with the K-3.
And then he told you about that nice Canikon camera you could have for only...

10-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello all,

I am totally psyched about the latest Pentax K-3!

But my only concern is that I made a substantial investment in Pentax K-5 accessories, such as batteries, external DC power supply for the K-5, the battery grip, hot shoe mounted mic, Pentax GPS Unit O-GPS1, etc. Are these accessories compatible? I was speaking with a Camera shop clerk on the weekend and he told me that NONE of my K-5 accessories (even the O-GPS1) would be compatible with the K-3.

Even the O-GPS1? That cannot be true!

Can someone please set the record straight?

My decision to pre-order is going to be based upon how many accessories I'll need to replace.

Thank you
Everything will continue to be compatible except for the K-5's grip as far as I know. The battery, for instance, is the same.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Accessories from Pentax-Ricoh Japan

Fortunately (for me) the main accessory I needed to match was the RRS L-Plate, which I was able to fit to the pre-production at an in shop demo. The K3 has the K-AC123 listed as the appropriate mains adapter, in the specifications section. This seems to be the same as for the K5ii. Though the voltage quoted on the body matches from the K10d on and that used the K-AC50 (or D50).
10-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #7

Speaking of accessories, I find the different focus screens intersting but do not have a clue what one would do that the other would not. Anyone a wiz on screens who could enlighten me. Thanks

10-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

They just have different markings (or no markings at all).
10-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Speaking of accessories, I find the different focus screens intersting but do not have a clue what one would do that the other would not. Anyone a wiz on screens who could enlighten me. Thanks
Crossed lines = rule of thirds help
standard = af point mapped
Scale matt = zoom help maintaining sizes in frame and central AF tracking
All surface Matt = MF
10-15-2013, 03:28 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Someone said that while the batteries were the same form factor, the K3 will have a different battery charger than the K5 and they won't be interchangeable.
10-15-2013, 03:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I think the limitation is that you cannot recharge new batteries with an old charger. But you'll get the new charger with the camera, so that's not really an issue (K-5 owners should be careful when buying new batteries, though).
10-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #12

Had this happen with my Olympus E-3 to E-5. Same battery but laws change and the new battery had 4 terminals while old had three. Something about stopping charging after full I believe but could be wrong. Both worked but as mentioned on new charger could charge new battery.
10-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Crossed lines = rule of thirds help
standard = af point mapped
Scale matt = zoom help maintaining sizes in frame and central AF tracking
All surface Matt = MF
How old-fashioned.

I thought that today transparent organic LCD (I think that's the term) viewfinder overlays would render interchangeable focus screens redundant. Need a rule of thirds grid or a cross-hair pattern? Select it from a menu.
11-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
How old-fashioned.

I thought that today transparent organic LCD (I think that's the term) viewfinder overlays would render interchangeable focus screens redundant. Need a rule of thirds grid or a cross-hair pattern? Select it from a menu.
Exactly what I was thinking as well.

With the exception of the split screen and microprism ring focusing screens... which employ optical properties, those etched screens seem completely unnecessary because they can be generated electronically as an overlay in the optical viewfinder.

But wait... this isn't possible with the Pentax K-3... so I suppose this is moot. :-)
11-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #15

I was speaking with a Camera shop clerk on the weekend and he told me that NONE of my K-5 accessories (even the O-GPS1) would be compatible with the K-3.
Lying scum of a shop clerk!! Go to another shop and also post a name and shame.
As far as I can tell only the grip is different, the fact that the battery is the same is great news.