Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battery Grip

Does anyone know if the K3 will use the same grip as the K5,K7 ? I'm guessing probably not. K3 sounds like a great camera think I'll give it a year to work out the kinks.

10-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K3 grip has a new designation (5 vs 4).
10-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BlackTalon Quote
The K3 grip has a new designation (5 vs 4).
Thank you sir !
10-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by marquis1955 Quote
Thank you sir !
It's a slightly different grip due to the slightly modified body shape. D-BG5 is the model number

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you !
10-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The new grip also means (unlike the K-7 and K-5) Pentax will be the sole source of K-3 battery grips, meaning an additional useful sales stream for them.

It will be interesting to see how quickly the after-market battery grip cloners/counterfeiters respond to the need for a new grip on the K-3. I guess it will depend on how popular they see the K-3 becoming.
10-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It will be interesting to see how quickly the after-market battery grip cloners/counterfeiters respond to the need for a new grip on the K-3.
It will also be interesting to see whether the cloners will repeat the big design mistake of the D-BG5 or fix it for us.

The D-BG4 exactly mimics the camera controls so you don't have to think about the orientation you are holding the camera. The D-BG5 fails big time by swapping controls around. What were they thinking?

10-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
When I tested the K-3 with the battery grip a week and a half ago, I noticed the grips are very similar. The main change is of course some buttons have moved. I tried to fit the new battery grip to my K5IIs, but that did not work, but the only thing preventing this was that one of the pins now is wider, so it does not fit on the whole at the bottom of the K5. This indicates to me that the old grip might still work on the new camera (of course with the confusion of having the buttons in different locations for horisontal and vertical shooting), unfortunately I did not have my grip avaialble at the time, so could not verify this, but if they really wanted to prevent cross use, they would have moved the pins, och changed the contact or something. So my belief is that Pentax tries to be as backwards compatible as they can, but that there is something new happening in the new grip that means if you fot it to an old house something will break.
I will speculate and claim that they have opened up for serial communication in the connector to prepare for GPS, WiFi, 4G or other modules fitted under the camera or in the grip. Probably something similar that they did in the hot shoe for the K5. But I am purely speculating now, but can't see any other reason.

/PA
10-20-2013, 02:26 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
When I tested the K-3 with the battery grip a week and a half ago, I noticed the grips are very similar.
Do you think it would fit the Kirk PZ-135 plate designed for BG4? Thanks!

http://m.bhphotovideo.com/mobile/detail?R=639390_REG&
10-20-2013, 02:42 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Gian Carlo Quote
Do you think it would fit the Kirk PZ-135 plate designed for BG4? Thanks!

PZ-135 Quick Release Plate f/ the Pentax K7 with D-BG4 Grip
As I did not have the old grip with me, it is hard to say. They are very similar, but not identical I think. Possibly the bottom will be identical, but I think you need to waint until someone has tested to know for sure. Maybe if the difference is small, you could adjust it with a file?

/PA
10-20-2013, 04:02 AM   #11
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
As I did not have the old grip with me, it is hard to say. They are very similar, but not identical I think. Possibly the bottom will be identical, but I think you need to waint until someone has tested to know for sure. Maybe if the difference is small, you could adjust it with a file?

/PA
There could be a good chance that it will. I have tested my K7/5 RRS L-Plate on the K3 and that fit perfectly. So certainly the camera's base is dimensionally unchanged on the left hand side. It seems an unnecessary cost to redesign the footprint of the grip.
10-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
There could be a good chance that it will. I have tested my K7/5 RRS L-Plate on the K3 and that fit perfectly. So certainly the camera's base is dimensionally unchanged on the left hand side. It seems an unnecessary cost to redesign the footprint of the grip.
And you got lens centered both in vertical and horizontal position? (K3 some mm bigger in all direction!?)

Grateful for answer / Lars
10-20-2013, 04:33 AM   #13
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lars Quote
And you got lens centered both in vertical and horizontal position? (K3 some mm bigger in all direction!?)

Grateful for answer / Lars
As far as I could tell the extra depth is in the grip, not the base. The extra 0.5mm width is immaterial as the RRS plate conformed perfectly from the mount screw. However, in height, I would say the sensor/mount is some 3mm higher on the K3. So vertically I had sufficient leeway in the plate to mount it to the tripod in line.
10-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
As far as I could tell the extra depth is in the grip, not the base. The extra 0.5mm width is immaterial as the RRS plate conformed perfectly from the mount screw. However, in height, I would say the sensor/mount is some 3mm higher on the K3. So vertically I had sufficient leeway in the plate to mount it to the tripod in line.
Thanks, any problem open the hatch for USB/HDMI - ports?

/Lars
10-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
Col
Veteran Member

Always was with the RRS, even with K5. Had to open the cover first and then trap it when attaching the plate