Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by scole Quote
Also, when in playback mode, I like to cycle through the various options by pressing the INFO button. On the K-3, this bring up a list of choices and you have to scroll to which one you want. I want this to return to continual INFO button presses to cycle through the various modes.
this! Please Pentax/Ricoh bring it back for all affected bodies and forever. This must have been the most stupid (I mean not very user friendly, you know) change ever.

11-05-2013, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #62

Can any Pentax K3 owner answer question about top lcd lighting. Is there some button that I can push to turn light on or off like it is in Pentax K 20 ( +/- button) and Pentax 645 D ( dedicated button ) or there is pentax K5 solution ( Lcd lighting is active when camera exposure reading is active ) that I do not like at all.

If there is no way to assign that task to any button, then I add it to this firmware update wishlist thread. Thank you. And sorry my English
11-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #63
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 645user Quote
Can any Pentax K3 owner answer question about top lcd lighting. Is there some button that I can push to turn light on or off like it is in Pentax K 20 ( +/- button) and Pentax 645 D ( dedicated button ) or there is pentax K5 solution ( Lcd lighting is active when camera exposure reading is active ) that I do not like at all.

If there is no way to assign that task to any button, then I add it to this firmware update wishlist thread. Thank you. And sorry my English
The K-3 has two options for the LCD light:

You can assign the top LCD light to the Fx button. Pressing the Fx button will then light up the LCD for a while, after which it goes off and stays off until you press Fx again.

Or you can use the Special Function method like on the K-5, where the LCD is lit (either high or low) while the exposure meter is active.
11-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bogartist Quote

You can assign the top LCD light to the Fx button. Pressing the Fx button will then light up the LCD for a while, after which it goes off and stays off until you press Fx again.

Or you can use the Special Function method like on the K-5, where the LCD is lit (either high or low) while the exposure meter is active.
is there a way to turn off the back LCD all time (night photography)?

I would also like to see the top LCD light have an option to use low intensity red light instead of the green/yellow light as to change our night vision, again, useful for night photography. Simple implementation, but appeal to outdoor/ long exposure photography.

11-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #65

Thank you Bogartist your answer was very helpful.
11-05-2013, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
is there a way to turn off the back LCD all time (night photography)?

I would also like to see the top LCD light have an option to use low intensity red light instead of the green/yellow light as to change our night vision, again, useful for night photography. Simple implementation, but appeal to outdoor/ long exposure photography.
You can turn off the back LCD by double clicking the INFO button which brings the Status Screen panel, then choosing the "Display off" option. It's longer to write than actually doin it !

I can't see any option for Red light instead of Green on the top panel, but you can turn it off or dimmed light in the menus.
11-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
You can turn off the back LCD by double clicking the INFO button which brings the Status Screen panel, then choosing the "Display off" option. It's longer to write than actually doin it !

I can't see any option for Red light instead of Green on the top panel, but you can turn it off or dimmed light in the menus.
Thanks!
Hope PENTAX add a red light options in the future.

11-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #68

Hope PENTAX add a red light options in the future.
not via the firmware update I am afraid!
11-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bedo Quote
not via the firmware update I am afraid!
Probably... lol

but the screw drive/ SDM option is a simple thing to do to win the praise of many long time PENTAXIANS, if they do it.
11-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #70
Inactive Account

Yeah, there isn't a way to get the camera to do that, but I can recommend a Petzl Tikka Plus 2 headlamp as a great solution. In addition to the usual white LEDs, it switches over to a red LED when you hold the button down for a couple of seconds. Great for preserving night vision. So then you'd just leave the camera's LCD light off, and read it by the light of your red headlamp. Plus the headlamp lets you see everything else, too.

And as a further bonus, if you're doing long night exposures a headlamp is really handy for "painting" additional light into the scene - basically real-time dodging during the exposure. I always have one of those headlamps in my bag.
11-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
3rd the screw drive idea. Does the screw drive look faster on youtube?
I'll 4th the selectable focus drive mode.
It seems that it should be so damned easy to program, why haven't they done it?
I've been tempted to insulate the SDM contacts and see what happens.
Someday I may have to. Hope it works!
11-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FireDog Quote
I've been tempted to insulate the SDM contacts and see what happens.
It won't enable screw-drive.

People have tried that before.
11-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It won't enable screw-drive.

People have tried that before.
oh crap...
I've been writing firmware/software for almost 40 years.
I pride myself in making options available.
Even if it means "giving them too much rope"...RTFM
And selectable focus drive seems such an obvious option
"I just wanna shoot somebody"

Last edited by FireDog; 11-06-2013 at 11:14 PM.
11-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, just finished testing out all the shutter release options. The interval mode would be perfect for astrophotography *if* there was an ability to lock up the mirror ahead of the run. As it is now, you can have MUP but only outside of the interval option. Can't see why this would not be doable in a firmware update. I find myself yearning for the physical MUP lever of the MX and LX (and also the Nikon shutter blind lever).

Jack
11-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
OK, just finished testing out all the shutter release options. The interval mode would be perfect for astrophotography *if* there was an ability to lock up the mirror ahead of the run. As it is now, you can have MUP but only outside of the interval option. Can't see why this would not be doable in a firmware update. I find myself yearning for the physical MUP lever of the MX and LX (and also the Nikon shutter blind lever).

Jack
Welcome to the "brave new world" of virtual control.
A physical switch to enable an option?
That's "so yesteryear"!