Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #76
Unregistered User

QuoteQuote:
Also, when in playback mode, I like to cycle through the various options by pressing the INFO button. On the K-3, this bring up a list of choices and you have to scroll to which one you want. I want this to return to continual INFO button presses to cycle through the various modes.
I AGREE TOTALLY. This new behavour has become a real pain in my...

11-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Am I the only one to regret that that overexpose/underexpose display has been replaced by a feature that display overexposed areas only ? Please reestablish it !
11-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #78

Update wish list... so far.

1. Compatibility with more SDHC cards. I have three Samsung 32G UHS-I cards - work fine in my K10 and X-5, but won't work in K3.
(Support is aware of these issues).

2. Simple way to backup all my custom (User) settings to a folder on my SDHC or PC.

3. A way to set the annoying "This function is not available in the current mode" message to go off automatically after a few seconds rather than
needing to push the O.K. button.
11-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #79
Inactive Account

a gent on DPR (username Conjure) suggested a couple of nifty things:

Conjure wrote:

There are enough sensors inside the K-3 to trigger the shutter:

1.) optical sensors: e.g. for lightnings

2.) microphone: balloon popping, a cork, a light bulb breaking

3.) SR and Electronic Level: camera movements (or take a picture when movement stops)

11-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Great ideas guys, moire bracketing and moire detection.
moire detection is a great idea
with an option added to the "fx" button.
you have to wonder sometimes if the writers of the firmware
actually take photographs

there are only few reasons to upgrade from my K-5
50% increase in resolution at mid-range apertures
optional anti alias

everything I read in this thread
questions whether those two alone are worth the expense
11-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me, the greatest advance is the much faster processing time of the K-3. It is the difference between a Maserati and a Fiat. Other notable perks are the increased shutter modes (esp. composite + interval). I find myself doing much less WB fiddling with the K-3. And I am in the camp that notices a much better keeper rate with AFC. Yes, there is a tiny bit more noise with the K-3 but it can be gotten rid of easily in post if you so wish. I am keeping my IIs but love the K-3.

Jack
12-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #82

What i woud like to have:
- Video SR like in K-5 (wtf software SR? no usable)
- Mic-level changeable while filming
- the User-Modes are useless for me because they don't store the settings i need. (eg: Sound effects, Instant Review, LCD-setting,...)[why not store everything?]
- GPS: I miss the Compass and Navigation
- whats the sense of the AF-button? I would like to set it as the AE-L (the new possition of the AE-L button is not that good)
- in selective focusing mode: show the selected point in the upper LCD
- and the last thing:
QuoteOriginally posted by scole Quote
if I want to navigate from exposure bracketing to self timer, I have to click UP->UP->LEFT->LEFT. On the K-5, this was just LEFT->LEFT.

12-05-2013, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #83
Veteran Member

Ok, my wish list, to make the K-3 actually desireable:

- Video SR like in the K-5. Meaning it uses the sensor. Give both 3 options, off, sensor based SR, electronic SR. Maybe a 4th, sensor + electronic SR. At off and sensor based the crop has to be off, I want the full sensor to be used for video. Different settings for the SR would be good. For example fine tuning how strong it is, what the goal is (smooth motion or no motion). Having the ability to detect pans so that it won't correct as much along the panning axis --> no rebound when the pan is finished. The ability to turn this on and off.
- Higher bitrates for h264, eventually also MJPEG support. 10 bit h264 support would be nice too, with true 10 bit files from the sensor. 4:2:2 video files perhaps?

Nice to have features:
- Sensor shift based braketing. Quickly take photos with the the sensor in different positions to cover the biggest possible area. If the SR system had enough range this could even simulate a full frame sensor. No need for processing in the camera, there's PC software for that. Also, being able to combine it with other braketing options would be great.
- Fokus stacking braketing. Again, no need for in camera processing, just let the camera consider the aperture and take as many photos as necessary to get everything in focus.
- DEP mode (high end Canons used to have this) in a more sophisticated version. Basically you focus on the closest point you need to have in focus, then you focus on the furthest point you need to have in focus, and then the camera does the rest. Pick the right focus point and aperture so that this area is covered. The software can also consider that at too small apertures everything gets blurry again, can warn the user and recommend focus stacking instead to have this area covered.
- API for control over WiFi/USB. Basically I want software developers to be able to write ANYTHING. Many features mentioned here could be realized that way. These are more studio/tripod based features anyway, being able to control the camera on a tablet or phone with touchscreen would be preferable anyway. You could also script complex things, have the camera do time lapses with the sensor slowly shifting (i.e. like a slider, just in camera), ... plenty of awesome stuff could be dreamed off there.
- Using the API there could be an app/application that lets you do all the settings on a computer/tablet. Not as fumbly as having to dig through menus on a small screen with a few buttons.
- USB host support. Plug in an external hard drive to backup/move photos/videos on the go.

Science fiction that probably requires different hardware:
- USB 3.0 is there... what about being able to output stuff to an SSD instead? That way you could get the write speeds necessary for CineDNG video, for 4K video, ...
- Pixel binning. That would be HUGE. AFAIK have this are the Panasonic GH2 and GH3... and they are loved for it. Basically normal DSLRs take every 10th pixel or so and use that for video (as they have 16+ MP, and FullHD video is 2 MP). You get horrible aliasing, moire, poor low light performance, ... as a result. But pixel binning takes ALL pixels there are, and scales them down to create a 2 MP picture. That way you get vastly superior video quality.
- Focus peaking during video capturing. It is an extremely helpful feature while recording video. Much more useful than AF for example.

Another video related wish: Hold white balance button. Often times my K-5 gets the white balance right, better than what I can do with manual white balance. But then it may drift somewhere else during shooting... And that's what I usually would like to avoid (not always). So like the AE-lock function that for WB would be great. Perhaps by pressing the WB button while recording?

Last edited by kadajawi; 12-05-2013 at 03:04 AM.
01-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #84

Photos: Gallery
The possibility of Auto ISO in M mode, essentially providing a TAv mode for K and M lenses. This was my gripe with the K-5, and I find it somewhat ridiculous this has been perfectly implemented in the lowly Q body, but not in the otherwise glorious K-3. In a way, the Q has better support for old lenses than the K-3 does. It could alternatively be implemented as an option in Av mode; simply allow the user to configure whether it's the sensitivity or the shutter speed that becomes the pre-set parameter.

Also, the possibility to manually override the focal length setting when lenses with a data contact are attached would make using a teleconverter a lot easier.

Last edited by OJGoreng; 01-23-2014 at 09:56 AM.
01-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #85
Unregistered User

When you put the K-3 in TAv you have a M mode with auto ISO? or am I missing something?
01-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #86

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
When you put the K-3 in TAv you have a M mode with auto ISO? or am I missing something?
That only works for lenses with an A setting on the aperture ring; on older lenses it's not possible. The camera reverts to Av mode. You then pre-select a sensitivity, and the shutter speed is automatically adjusted. I want it to be the other way around; sensitivity isn't critical for me, shutter speed is... no sense in taking a shot of a moving target with a shutter speed of 1/60th of a second.

Last edited by OJGoreng; 01-23-2014 at 10:21 AM.
01-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #87
Veteran Member

I would like to have the ability to choose other (4) focus points other than the center point when I am using older manual focus lenses.
01-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
- Fokus stacking braketing.
- USB host support.
I like these.

Also:
- some level of face recognition in phase detection AF when using the K-3 optical viewfinder.
Some other cameras (ie D800) can do this - the D800 can detect faces when Auto area AF is selected: " At its core is a 91K-pixel RGB sensor that meticulously analyzes each scene with the fine resolution. The [D800] RGB sensor can recognize your scene's colors and brightness with unprecedented precision, then use that information to implement various automatic controls and give you more natural-looking results. The real breakthrough, however, is that the sensor can detect human faces with startling accuracy when shooting through the optical viewfinder.." Nikon D800 features

D800 system:
D800 91K-pixel RGB sensor

D800 Scene Recognition System

K-3 system:
K-3 86,000-pixel RGB light-metering sensor

PENTAX Real-time Scene Analysis System

The D800 has a sophisticated 91K pixel RGB sensor, and the K-3 has a sophisticated 86k pixel RGB sensor ... soooo it seems that the K-3 hardware could support what the D800 can do.

The K-3 can already do face-detection in Liveview/CDAF. Perhaps Ricoh just needs to upgrade the K-3 firmware code for some level of face recognition to work in PDAF too. Perhaps the K-3 system could then look like this:

01-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OJGoreng Quote
That only works for lenses with an A setting on the aperture ring; on older lenses it's not possible. The camera reverts to Av mode. You then pre-select a sensitivity, and the shutter speed is automatically adjusted. I want it to be the other way around; sensitivity isn't critical for me, shutter speed is... no sense in taking a shot of a moving target with a shutter speed of 1/60th of a second.
Can't you just touch the ISO button and change the ISO while the Av and Sv stay the aame? You have to use the optical preview lever - hold it open - while you are adjusting the ISO. I set up ISO adjust on the rear Dial, Shutter on the front and then Aperture is on the lens. Works just like a film camera (actually, like a Spotmatic). Green button then returns the camera to Program Line.
01-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #90
Veteran Member

My wish is for a JPEG photo effect called: Graduated Neutral Density Filter

It works like this: 3 parameters:

1. upper limit 20-90% in increments of 10, representing the vertical point in the image above which the max EV compensation will be applied
2. lower limit 10-80% in increments of 10, representing the point below which the EV compensation = 0 (must be lower than setting 1)
3. EV compensation -1 to -5 representing the EV compensation applied at the maximum (-1 being the lowest, -5 the highest) value.

This would provide for a range of transition, above which the EV compensation is max, and below with it is 0.

The upper and lower limits (i.e. transition range) would be displayed on the LCD screen in Live View by horizontal lines.