Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

How does a floating plate generate noise?
Certainly never notice any SR noise from the K-7.

Besides, all this could all be academic because the generally accepted advise is to disable SR in movie mode and use a tripod.

10-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
Pentaxian

It does make a faint but audible noise.
11-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
I got my K3 from B&H today. Playing with it now. Tested rolling shutter at 60i fps (because rolling shutter and jello effect most annoying thing about my k-01). Really steady. Very excited.
11-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's good news!

11-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Guys,

So I've just tried to check this out for you. I believe mechanical SR is active, because the noise I associate with the SR system is occurring as soon as you go into live view/video mode.

Additionally, AF works if you press the AF button. It does not run continuously, which for me is exactly how it should be, given we aren't using lenses with stepper motors etc which are quiet. And professional videographers seldom AF during a shot. Additionally, the AF itself seems to have been tuned when pressing that button in movie mode, in that it reacts more like I would expect a camcorder to than an SLR, making any focusing effort smoother.
11-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds good Pheo!

I believe it's the case. One sure way to find out is, without the lens on (you'll have to enter a focal length), you can see the sensor moving around as you jiggle the camera.

It does on the K-7 and K-5, but not on the K-01 or, I've heard, the K-30, K-50 etc.

Thanks

AB
11-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote
Sounds good Pheo!

I believe it's the case. One sure way to find out is, without the lens on (you'll have to enter a focal length), you can see the sensor moving around as you jiggle the camera.

It does on the K-7 and K-5, but not on the K-01 or, I've heard, the K-30, K-50 etc.

Thanks

AB
Doesn't prompt me for a focal length when I do that...

11-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
Doesn't prompt me for a focal length when I do that...
Hmm. Camera off - lens removed - then turn camera on. Should ask for a focal length on rear lcd, like when you mount a manual lens.

If not, the sensor should still shift as you jiggle.

cheers

AB
11-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I thought mechanical SR is always doing something, even if the SR is turned off - the mechanism is still active, but instead of reducing shake it is just holding sensor in place. To check if the video mode is using digital SR, you need to look at the crop factor. If the image FoV becomes smaller than when taking stills, there is probably digital SR doing on. Or you can actually look at the sensor while taking video with no lens mounted, but thats not something i would personally do with my camera.
11-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Mechanical SR AND full-time focus peaking with old long throw MF lenses, then I could perhaps get interested in video.
11-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote
Hmm. Camera off - lens removed - then turn camera on. Should ask for a focal length on rear lcd, like when you mount a manual lens.

If not, the sensor should still shift as you jiggle.
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Or you can actually look at the sensor while taking video with no lens mounted, but thats not something i would personally do with my camera.
Did exactly this, and in photo mode, the sensor moves. In video mode, the sensor stays completely stationary. The slight hum is the SR actuators keeping the sensor in place.

It's "digital SR" for video... but I guess it works!
11-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #27
Forum Member

Digital SR it's almost useless... Very bad news
11-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So software SR it is. Looks just as rubbish as always.

The good news is I just saved myself $1300.
11-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
The good news is I just saved myself $1300.
yep, you can buy yourself a tripod now :-)
seriously, very disappointing. don't care how they stabilize handheld footage, mech. or software, its needs to be useable.
Most of my shots are on a tripod but while travelling or just short trips eg it comes in handy

for me it is clear I am not buying a pentax again for video unless this is sorted out...
11-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
yep, you can buy yourself a tripod now :-)
seriously, very disappointing. don't care how they stabilize handheld footage, mech. or software, its needs to be useable.
Most of my shots are on a tripod but while travelling or just short trips eg it comes in handy

for me it is clear I am not buying a pentax again for video unless this is sorted out...
You shouldn't worry about that. Sooner or later all cameras of all brands will have amazing video, same as photo. It's where the market is going.

RAW video, stabilized video, resolution, audio quality will soon be a part of camera reviews, etc.

By the way, the only reason pentax introduced digital SR it's just to say on the specifications that the video is stabilized. What they don't say is that digital SR is worse than no shake reduction at all