Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has It Been Confirmed That The K-3 Will Accept UHS-I...?

the fastest cards?

10-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
the fastest cards?
Yes. See our homepage.

What remains to be tested is how fast it can write to the cards, but it does support UHS-I.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Storage Medium SD, SDHC and SDXC Memory Card (Conforms to USH-1 standards), Eye-Fi card, FLU card.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-3/spec/
10-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What remains to be tested is how fast it can write to the cards, but it does support UHS-I.
Well with the 24mp RAW you are looking at 30 MB files, so at the fastest speed that would mean 3 RAW files to be written to the card every second. Only if the PRIME III can keep up with that.

10-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well with the 24mp RAW you are looking at 30 MB files, so at the fastest speed that would mean 3 RAW files to be written to the card every second. Only if the PRIME III can keep up with that.
Perhaps it can alternate between the cards to keep up during those 8+fps bursts, and/or the buffer is huge.
10-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Perhaps it can alternate between the cards to keep up during those 8+fps bursts, and/or the buffer is huge.
Well with a full buffer you would still have 3 fps shootingspeed when everything works perfect and that is much more then the around 1 fps off the K-5.

The K-5 with AF-C with really moving objects in sports can make about just under 3 fps, so even then the buffer fills up. No idea how fast the K-3 will be in AF-C, but when flushing files to the card is really speedy that would mean that you have a good workable tool in your hands.
10-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Another guide is that the K3 has USB 3, 5 times faster than USB 2, this indicates that the processor, memory etc. is working at least 5 times faster which would be really good news. Match this to a fast UHS card and you have a fast camera system that can clear it's buffer with ease. Continuous shooting til the card is full at 8 fps in Raw perhaps?

Chris
10-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

No UHS card has the speed required to write 8 raw images per second - around 280MB/sec I'd guess (at ~35MB per file).

UHS-I can do only 104B/sec, and that's the bus speed - not the effective file write speed. Future UHS-II cards could do it, but then we'll have higher resolution sensors. Toshiba's fastest UHS-II cards can write at 240MB/sec.

10-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No UHS card has the speed required to write 8 raw images per second - around 280MB/sec I'd guess (at ~35MB per file).

UHS-I can do only 104B/sec, and that's the bus speed - not the effective file write speed. Future UHS-II cards could do it, but then we'll have higher resolution sensors. Toshiba's fastest UHS-II cards can write at 240MB/sec.
So how many Raw files that can be saved to the card depends on the size and speed of the buffer memory, DDR3 Ram can easily keep up. Theoretically if you had 8Gb of fast ram you could save a full 8Gb card before the buffer filled. I am well aware that no camera has 8Gb of DDR3 ram, nor do they need to.

As USB3 can manage around 5Gb/S (according to Pentax spec at DP Review) the K3 is not lacking processor speed.

According to this site Pentax K-3 NEW CAMERA it can record up to 23 Raw images at 8fps, but it doesn't mention the class of card needed for this number of images, but as this site also lists the USB as USB2 it may be not too trustworthy, I was wondering if there would be more frames recorded if you used UHS Class 1 cards..

To be honest 23 Raw images at 8fps is more than enough for me.

Chris
10-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Didn't read it good the first time. Well in theory with two fast cards it could run up 5 (or maybe even 6) RAW fps, but I think that we then would be in need for an extra PRIME III processor and I doubt that the internal highway for bits&bites is fast enough to make that possible.

I think we will have again an option to run jpg's at 8,3 fps until the shutter wear's out. Full 24 megapixel resolution, one star quality with no lens corrections you probably get files off around 1,25 MB. So with the overflow option on the second cardslot and in both slots a 128 GB fast card you would trash your K-3 within a day's off work (just prepair a few spare battery's).
10-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I can confirm the DNGs I have shot are between 25 and 30M, most are in the 27M range, but they are all taken at ISO 100 and very flat light. I would assume higher ISO would take you up to 30M or possibly even above (beacause of the noise bringing in more detail per pixel, making compression less efficient).
10-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
So how many Raw files that can be saved to the card depends on the size and speed of the buffer memory, DDR3 Ram can easily keep up. Theoretically if you had 8Gb of fast ram you could save a full 8Gb card before the buffer filled. I am well aware that no camera has 8Gb of DDR3 ram, nor do they need to.

As USB3 can manage around 5Gb/S (according to Pentax spec at DP Review) the K3 is not lacking processor speed.

According to this site Pentax K-3 NEW CAMERA it can record up to 23 Raw images at 8fps, but it doesn't mention the class of card needed for this number of images, but as this site also lists the USB as USB2 it may be not too trustworthy, I was wondering if there would be more frames recorded if you used UHS Class 1 cards..

To be honest 23 Raw images at 8fps is more than enough for me.

Chris
Yes. What I'm interested in is how quickly the buffer clears so you can start shooting again. Or if the body sits with an hourglass before you can view the shots.