Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2013, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Reports on the K-3 in Japanese camera magazines

Almost all of the Japanese camera magazines came out today and they all devoted several pages to the K-3, with a host of sample pictures. I imagine they are representative of the final firmware, because these publishers seem to have a close relationship with the camera makers. I can't understand much of what is written, but I'll summarise what I could see and understand.

LPF simulation
All magazines showed the effects of the selectable AA filter on fabric with similar results. Type 1 lessened the moire, type 2 completely eliminated it. The most useful comparison also showed the loss of definition in the model's hair as the filter was applied. The shutter speed was 1/250. The results looked just like K-5 II and K-5 IIs comparisons, so the feature seems to work as advertised.

ISO performance
Some magazines had the opinion that the files were usable up to 12800 and others to 6400. I guess it depends how picky you are. 51200 has a lot of destructive colour noise in my opinion, but 25600 looked like it had retained the overall colour quite well and might be OK for a small print.

Area-specific white balance
This is the feature I'm most impressed by. There was a picture of a concert venue with candles on the table and bright blueish stage lighting, which I don't think my other cameras could have handled. Another magazine had a view looking partly into daylight, partly into an underground concourse with fluorescent lighting and partly into the window of a tungsten-lit shop. All areas looked correct. This is one thing coming over from the GR series that K-3 users will appreciate.

There was quite a lot written about AF, but I'm afraid I couldn't understand it. I was also a bit disappointed that there didn't seem to be any tests of the HD Pentax DA 55-300.

It's a bit strange to post a report about second-hand information, but I hope this is useful to someone.

10-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

TAv mode for the area-specific white balance, that was a good trade!
Thanks for posting, quite often the best information comes from Japan.
10-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I still see TAv on the mode wheel

10-19-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

My apologies for being vague: the trade is that Ricoh GR has the Pentax' TAv, and the Pentax K-3 has Ricoh's Multi Pattern Auto WB.

10-19-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Area-specific white balance This is the feature I'm most impressed by. There was a picture of a concert venue with candles on the table and bright blueish stage lighting, which I don't think my other cameras could have handled. Another magazine had a view looking partly into daylight, partly into an underground concourse with fluorescent lighting and partly into the window of a tungsten-lit shop. All areas looked correct. This is one thing coming over from the GR series that K-3 users will appreciate.
This sounds really good! But this is jpeg only, right?
10-19-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Looking good.
10-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
This sounds really good! But this is jpeg only, right?
That will be interesting to know. The RAW file itself will be free of white-balance data, but the software that interprets the RAW file will take the white-balance data saved with the file and render the image on screen or print accordingly. It therefore follows that the area-specific white-balance data could similarly be used, albeit a step or two more complex, but it suggests that RAW files could be rendered the same way as JPEGs. If the file can be saved as a DNG, then it follows that Adobe must have been involved in the development of the new system, making a good case for saving as a DNG, rather than a PEF, unless you only use the Pentax software supplied with the camera.
10-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds great. I'm really interested of that new WB system and if ISO is good at 12800, it would be great too. I'm also looking forward to see that AF-specs soon.

10-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
My apologies for being vague: the trade is that Ricoh GR has the Pentax' TAv, and the Pentax K-3 has Ricoh's Multi Pattern Auto WB.
Is Focus Peaking a Ricoh contribution, or would Pentax have offered it anyway? I suspect we have Ricoh to thank for FP as well. I am surprised Pentax hasn't inherited the snap focus feature Ricoh shooters love so much. (BTW, what is snap focus and why do they love it so much?)
10-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Is Focus Peaking a Ricoh contribution, or would Pentax have offered it anyway? I suspect we have Ricoh to thank for FP as well. I am surprised Pentax hasn't inherited the snap focus feature Ricoh shooters love so much. (BTW, what is snap focus and why do they love it so much?)
Snap focus is autofocusing to a specific distance and using zone focusing. So basically, on a Ricoh GRD with a small sensor, if you focus to 1 meter or 5 meter or 20 meter, the DOF will capture a good amount of subjects at those focus distances. So you bypass focusing on a subject, instead you focus on a specific distance and take the shot. It's supposed to be pretty fast.

Probably much harder to use on APSC cameras because then the DOF becomes quite a bit thinner. I don't know if GR users use this mode a lot. Any GR users wanna jump in?
10-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #11

Snap focus is fantastic for street shooting. I have used it a bunch with the GR and I find it extremely useful. It helps me be more discreet, I guess. When you have it engaged it shows a little scale on the LCD which tells you the distance range that will be in focus depending on the f-stop. There really isn't much guesswork when using it. If the depth of field isn't what you are looking for, you know right away based on the scale and you can adjust accordingly.
10-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drg0012 Quote
Snap focus is fantastic for street shooting. I have used it a bunch with the GR and I find it extremely useful. It helps me be more discreet, I guess. When you have it engaged it shows a little scale on the LCD which tells you the distance range that will be in focus depending on the f-stop. There really isn't much guesswork when using it. If the depth of field isn't what you are looking for, you know right away based on the scale and you can adjust accordingly.
Oh wow, it shows you a scale so you know what zone you are looking at? That's damn useful then!
10-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drg0012 Quote
I wonder whether it would be too difficult to implement this on an interchangeable lens camera. The mode I liked on my GRD was where a half press engaged autofocus but a full press instantly took at the preset distance. Very flexible and intuitive.

drg0012 - If you have a GR, can you tell us whether the multi-pattern auto white balance mode can be used with DNGs? I tried googling GRD 3, GRD4 and GR reviews, but none of them specified this.
10-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
drg0012 - If you have a GR, can you tell us whether the multi-pattern auto white balance mode can be used with DNGs? I tried googling GRD 3, GRD4 and GR reviews, but none of them specified this.
First off, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread and change the subject....

I can select the multi-pattern WB when it is set to capture in RAW, however, I have not made it a point to test it out in particular. If I remember later tonight I'll mess around with it and see what happens.
10-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #15
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
One other thing I've gathered is that the wireless app used with the Flucard shows the live view, operates as a remote release and allows you to select the AF point by touching the screen.