Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time for the car analog...

Crummy tires on your collector car.

Excellent tires on your collector car.

Your car is analogous to the vintage lens. The tires are analogous to the body mounted to your vintage lens. After all, optics drive the equation.

Will the driver experience better performance with excellent tires than with crummy tires? Maybe. Will the excellent tires ever "outperform" the car they are mounted to? No, never. Are excellent tires on a collector car overkill or a waste of money? Maybe.

Summary:
  • Enjoy using your vintage lenses on a modern camera
  • In many cases you may find that they perform as well or better than modern lenses of the same focal length
  • In every case you can expect that they will perform as well or better than they did on film or with a less excellent digital body*

Steve

* The possible exception would be purple fringing. This annoying artifact of digital photography was not an issue with film, but is all too prevalent with both vintage and modern glass on digital cameras.

---------- Post added 02-10-14 at 10:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You're being a bit generous there - 35mm ISO100 films were beaten by digital at the 6Mp mark IMO.
Interesting opinion. My experience has been somewhat different with real-world subjects.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-10-2014 at 11:05 AM.
02-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
nteresting opinion. My experience has been somewhat different with real-world subjects.
It depends on the maker of the film: Agfa films and kodak films generally had higher accutance - at the cost of increased grain, this gave the illusion of there being more detail than there actually was. Fuji films were a bit softer - their film developers were also geared to keep the grain down. But colour ISO 100 films were beaten at the 6Mp mark, B&W films could deliver about 10Mp depending on the emulsion, developing technique and the lenses used.
02-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #33
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
645 film was beaten by full frame 35mm sensors at the 16Mp mark.
If you think this is true, I find it hard to believe you have ever actually shot 645. My 645n with Portra 120 handily outresolved any 16Mp sensor I've ever encountered, including full frame ones. Dynamic range tends to be significantly better, too.

Of course, there is the expensive proposition of getting a decent scan of the film, which is why I ended up selling the aforementioned 645n.

---------- Post added 02-12-14 at 08:47 PM ----------

In my experience, it's more than you think, and includes many of the Pentax Primes. Most of the sharpness problems I've experienced with the Q stem from either diffraction or difficulties in holding the camera steady combined with its limited antishake capabilities. Even relatively cheap CCTV lenses can give very good results on the Q's small sensor.

Either way, with 35mm lenses, you are ususally hititng the sweet spot of sharpness in the middle of the lens, so it's probably not safe to draw any conclusions on how a lens will perform on APS-C or 35mm based on how it does on the Q.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Doesn't the Pentax Q sensor already out resolve some lenses? 12Mp on a 6.17mm x 4.55 mm sensor. Pixel size is just 0.0015425mm X 0.0015166666666667mm.

I would think that the lack of an AA filter could make this worse by making resolution better if you get my drift.

Am I right in thinking that the Q sensor needs lenses that can resolve 100 lp/mm (line pairs per mm) or more, if so not many lenses can.

Chris
02-13-2014, 01:51 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
f you think this is true, I find it hard to believe you have ever actually shot 645.
well I admit, I have more experience with 4X5 and 8X10 format.