Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 and Commander Mode

Does anyone know if the K3 will have the equivalent of Nikon's Commander Mode, which is an in-camera means of controlling off camera flash? On the better Nikons, you set your modes (TTL, etc.) as well as compensation for the different flash groups, and the camera sets off the flashes without a cable. Does the K3 have this capability with Pentax flashes?

Thanks

10-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-3 supports wireless flash, if that's what you're getting at.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There is no options for that in the current version of P-TTL system - you can't set groups and ratios or control the power of manual flash remotely.
10-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
There is no options for that in the current version of P-TTL system - you can't set groups and ratios or control the power of manual flash remotely.
Argggggggggggg Why ?
I do not understand, it doesn't seem too tricky to implement :-/
The new flash c/would be equipped with this kind of function and this allowed easier lightning modelling.

10-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The P--TTL system is one of the areas which could use most improvement to get the advanced shooter where he or she would be with one of the big two. One thing at a time.
10-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I imagine that this would be a major stumbling block for Pentax in being a serious contender for studio usage.

10-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I imagine that this would be a major stumbling block for Pentax in being a serious contender for studio usage.
Hmmm. There is quite a lot of flash control built into Pentax bodies, wireless included. The lack of an exact replica of Nikon's Commander mode hasn't stopped Pentax (or Canon, FWIW) shooters from using flash in the studio before.

10-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Pentax P-TTL has no group concept.
You can set individual flash compensations, but it's done on the flashes, not on the camera.

AFAIK, typical studio flash usage is manual flash, not P-TTL.

All Pentax cameras from entry level to flagship support wireless flash, unlike the big brands that "cripple" their entry level bodies. So that's in a sense a plus for Pentax P-TTL.

Regards,
--Anders.
10-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Hmmm. There is quite a lot of flash control built into Pentax bodies, wireless included. The lack of an exact replica of Nikon's Commander mode hasn't stopped Pentax (or Canon, FWIW) shooters from using flash in the studio before.
I use Pentax in the studio, but with studio flashes on manual and RF triggering. The advanced TTL modes are most useful when you set up an impromptu studio lighting situation on location. I did that recently with the flash on a stand with a small umbrella. My RF triggers were in use elsewhere, and I couldn't really have a key light and fill ratios with P-TTL wireless, so the light was a little flat. There are ways I might have gotten around this with some planning, but IMHO, the purpose of a system like P-TTL is to let you set up quickly without a lot of chimping.
10-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good to see you're back, Gene.
10-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
AFAIK, typical studio flash usage is manual flash, not P-TTL.
Not so sure ;-) (cf GeneV) but i use to play as strobist and ttl (for HSS) is needed on location and this is a hell to play with my lovely brand Pentax... (No HSS inside a softbox, no memory on 540 etc...) I dream about groups & compatibility with brands like PW...
10-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Does this include the K-3?
10-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Cactus are working on a flash with remote power control (via radio signals) The system is expected to be compatible with Pentax cameras and will support groups.

No P-TTL, but I personally find manual flash control preferable anyhow.
10-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
Forum Member

Class A, i've got Cactus and i love to play in manual but manytimes i need HSS ! (don't tell me to use ND filter ;-) ) for me the only solution is to go for Aokatec triggers but they look-like "
bricolage"
10-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Good to see you're back, Gene.
Thanks, Jim. Work had me away from forums for a while.