11-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote

1. Mine is broken so another WR body is 'needed'
2. Not so much really, so no sale here
3. A used K-5 variant would work OK and cost half as much... however,
4. Upgraded low-light AF would be very helpful, more focus points less so, f/2.8 AF points definitely. The IIs could do some of that, but adjustable AA filtration sounds useful (or can a PP moire-healing brush work as well? do those exist?). I agree that 16Mpix is enough for me, 24 is OK, 36 just silly for the size I print and the price for ultimate-resolution lenses.
5. Definitely not my reason; were the K-5 in perfect order I'd be passing.

Thanks for making me think it over Norm!
No problem Jim, actually Tess has seen what I'm doing with mine, and so far she's not sold either. A K-5 is a lot of camera.

11-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A K-5 is a lot of camera.
I couldn't agree more.
11-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by alcstudios Quote
My K7 still works perfectly, I'm buying the K3 simply because I want it.
You and me both, brother.
11-05-2013, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

A K-5 is a lot of camera, and I won't be ditching mine any time soon. Now that I have the K-3, though, I know the difference between "a lot" and "bountiful plenitude."

Last edited by panoguy; 11-05-2013 at 01:22 PM.
11-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
A K-5 is a lot of camera, and I won't be ditching mine any time soon. Now that I have the K-3, though, I know the difference between "a lot" and "bountiful plenitude."
panoguy - since you have both cameras, could you tell me how the shutter noise compares between the K5 and the K3 for single shots. Thats the thing i still love about my K5 is the quiet shutter. Doesn't matter so much outside but in a theater it matters.

or anyone else that has experience with k5? Thanks a lot.
11-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
panoguy - since you have both cameras, could you tell me how the shutter noise compares between the K5 and the K3 for single shots. Thats the thing i still love about my K5 is the quiet shutter.
The K-3 single shot shutter sounds every so slightly quieter than the K-5. It is a different, lower register sound, but to my ears (not recording software or any technical analysis) it is either the same or quieter...

Sorry if that is stressing your wallet in any way!
11-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
The K-3 single shot shutter sounds every so slightly quieter than the K-5. It is a different, lower register sound, but to my ears (not recording software or any technical analysis) it is either the same or quieter...

Sorry if that is stressing your wallet in any way!
Yep, you're not going to help my pocketbook at all :-) Thanks very much for the help. Ricoh knocked it out of the park on this one!!!!!!
11-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Yep, you're not going to help my pocketbook at all :-) Thanks very much for the help. Ricoh knocked it out of the park on this one!!!!!!
If anything the K3 is definately softer, even in burst mode it is barely noticeable. No slap feel.

11-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #84
Site Supporter

could you tell me how the shutter noise compares between the K5 and the K3 for single shots.
k-3 shutter sound is awesome. Very quiet, very professional, very "quality". I thought the k-5 shutter sound was good. k-3 is even better.
11-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
k-3 shutter sound is awesome. Very quiet, very professional, very "quality". I thought the k-5 shutter sound was good. k-3 is even better.
I concur. The K-5 was a chunk-thunk sound, the K-3 is ch-chink. About the same volume. I was doing long exposures the other night and I couldn't hear the shutter action to tell if it was done. The write indication light told me.
11-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #86
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, I just spent an afternoon shooting with my K3 and it's truly awesome.
The burst mode is real, and I was able to get some really good shots of a splash pad fountain.
The low level focusing is amazing compared to my K5's.
I'm pretty sure the K3 is going to be an amazing camera for years to come.

Honestly though, the K3 should really be called the K5 Mk3 or something.
I hope Pentax/Ricoh keeps making cameras like this.

If the next model to come along in 2014 ( I dare not say it.. ) I can only imagine how amazing and awesome it will be.