Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

So who is pre-ordering?

I sat-out the K-5II/IIs because they just weren't enough of an improvement over the K-5. But my pre-order is in for the K-3. The combination of the new sensor, the lack of an AA filter, and the new metering system sold me.

I'm not generally an early-adopter when it comes to hardware. But I'm going to take a chance on Ricoh that I never would have taken on Hoya.

10-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm very very very tempted, but think I'll wait for at least the first firmware update before ordering.
10-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just bought a used K-5. I didn't believe the K-3 rumors when I got the K-5. Besides, I needed the K-5 as my other body was in repair. If I do decide to add another to the family, I think I'll see if anything comes after the K-3.
10-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm on the list. First time I've bought within the first year of release, so I'm hoping Ricoh gets this right...........

10-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thread already exists. How do we get a survey up? If we can suggested questions might be
1. have pre-ordered
2. will pre-order
3. Will wait for reviews
4. Maybe buy later
5. Not intending to buy soon
10-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Thread already exists. How do we get a survey up? If we can suggested questions might be
1. have pre-ordered
2. will pre-order
3. Will wait for reviews
4. Maybe buy later
5. Not intending to buy soon
I prefer the word "order" rather than "pre-order" which sounds like "previously-owned car". I also dislike "pre-built" and "pre-painted" :-)

However, I very recently bought a K-5 to replace one that died. I will likely have the dead one resuscitated and have 2 of the same body. I have a K-20 w/grip I had been thinking about selling as I never used it in 2 years (until briefly after the aforementioned death). Having different bodies is a bit of a head-scratcher at times...

So, it is unlikely I will get a K-3 any time soon. Probably when the next greatest comes out.
10-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #7

I ordered mine the day it was announced. That seems like so, so long ago. Today was especially cruel because B&H sent me an order status update to let me know that they have no update with regards to my K-3 order.

10-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #8

Ordered one today!
10-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Not until Spring. I want to see test and read reviews. Plus I want to see what some other manufacturers are doing and see some of the reviews from other options. The K-3 sounds like a great camera.
10-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #10

Ordered mine today.
10-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of people have already pre-ordered, but I think even more will once the camera hits the shelves and the reviewers start being posted

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #12

Pre-ordered the limited silver the day it was announced. I've been waiting for it for awhile so I was a bit twitchy on the trigger... haha!
10-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer to wait until reviews are out; you never know for sure what kind of issues a new camera model may have. As often as new models come out in the digital world, you don't really need to wait that long for the next version to hit store shelves, either. Besides which I prefer to not give in to GAS too often.

That being said, I'm really intrigued by the new FF Nikon that should be announced in a couple of weeks. (But I wouldn't pre-order that either.)

I've made a habit of waiting to buy my cameras and to often buy older Pentax lenses, and I'm very happy with what I've been able to accumulate, at a greatly reduced price over buying right when a new model comes out. I don't think my hobby suffers any for doing this, if anything I can have more lenses and bodies for a given amount of $$.
10-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pre-ordered the silver. The leather strap did it for me. I'm sure the K-3 will be fine, but the leather strap was SWEEET!!!!!
10-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

How long until you can walk in and just buy the thing? I'm in Thailand (who knows where) and the UK (SRS, WEX, Bristol, Clifton etc).