Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
a wifi so small that could be house in a slimmest sd card, and it is not onboard
Sure, the WiFi electronics on board the Flucard must be tiny and could probably have been built into the camera itself. There's already been a good discussion here about the pros and cons of doing that. Pentax probably had good reasons to use Flucard.

10-23-2013, 01:57 AM - 4 Likes   #17
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How many Pentaxians does it take to change a light bulb?
10-23-2013, 02:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

....LOL!
10-23-2013, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe Pentax simply decided they are camera/lens experts and not proficient in the black art of wifi/networking protocols and interfaces and decided this was a simple way of outsourcing wifi/networking delivery to another company. If built into the camera, then its their baby and theirs alone. And not upgradable. And you would need to add an in-house wifi/networking team where none existed.

Also, if extremely compact wifi chips like what's used in Eye-Fi and Flucards evolve and improve over time (eg add 5Ghz and/or enhanced communications speeds), we have a simple upgrade path - buy a later edition Flucard and poke it into the camera. Build wifi into the camera and we are struck with 2013 wifi hardware for the life of the camera. I'm sure wifi in 2020 will be a different and faster beast than what it is today.

Makes sense to me to stick to your knitting, particularly if you are a small player in the industry and the development budget is not limitless and not amortisable over high volumes. And provide a simple upgrade path at the same time. Good lateral thinking in my view and smart leveraging of the R&D budget. We just need to see once cameras are delivered whether the Flu card is up to the task in terms of reliability and acceptable battery drain.

10-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

So are you done complaining yet, OP?
10-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
I'm sure wifi in 2020 will be a different and faster beast than what it is today.
Come on, that's 7 new cameras into the future you're talking about. When built into the camera, the wifi automatically gets upgraded when upgrading cameras.

On a more serious note, Because the speed (class 10) of the Pentax dedicated Flucard is unmatched, I asked Pentax directly if it will work on my K-5 or as a regulare generic wifi sd card. Their answer was that it will probably work as a normal SD card and will be able to store pictures. So, I'm picking up a generic (class 6) flucard pro.
10-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Love is blind lol....... anyhow none of us has used it before so let's wait and see.... I hope it is every bit as good as some say otherwise many egos would be hurt, and worse still, suffer in silent :P

10-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Although I am not personally interested in using WiFi on the K-3 or anywhere else, it's interesting to see so many SD card WiFi options out there today.

I had a quick look around the web and found at least 6 WiFi SD card makers - EyeFi, Transcend, Toshiba ('FlashAir'), FLUCard, PQI ('Air Card'), and LZeal ('ez Share'), some with multiple models too. Surrounding this hardware is a whole eco-system of software to allow all sorts of options with mobiles, tablets, PC's and other devices.

The Pentax Flucard sounds pretty advanced, but without exploring all the other cards and software apps, it's hard to say whether its capabilities are unique. Maybe there's a $10 SDcard on eBay and a $2 app on Google Play that will let you do everything that the Pentax branded card does.
10-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Yes it can control the camera. Watch in the video where you can see the iPad screen. Looks like four settings can be set remotely and you can fire the shutter.
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Maybe you missed latest promotion viedeo by pentax, where card is used for shooting wirelessly and sharing images...? Because that is what it does with K-3.
Interesting the flucard, K3 lost the plot again.....
You kidding me? Why would I buy a dedicated one for k3 if I could buy one that is universal?
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
To gain tethering? Card specially designed for pentax? There is maybe few points, but if you need only to move images wirelessly, then there is no point.
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm sure it will be compliant with SD Memory Card Standard Ver.4.00 and Wireless LAN Standards (like IEEE802.11 b/g/n), and so work on anything. After all, I think the Flucard is made by Toshiba, who have a long-standing partnership with Flucard, and who make their own WiFi SDcards (FlashAir).

So it is likely that on my K-x or K-5 the Pentax K-3 Flucard will work as a normal Flucard Pro WiFi SD card.

The main difference between the Pentax 0-FC1 Flucard and a standard Flucard will probably be the K-3 specific apps to enable remote focusing etc via custom iIOS and Android apps... Hmm. I wonder if those apps will also work on my K-5 with a Flucard. Will be interesting to test.
Not a generic FluCard.

The FluCard for Pentax is . . . . . a Customized, accessory FluCard for, well, Pentax . . . . that allows the user to, uhmmmm, control the camera.
10-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #25
Pentaxian

The manual states that it supports both Flu and Eyefi cards wifi capabilities. The Pentax Flu is a separate item with special functions, the manual says that you will get a manual with the card telling you how to use it.
10-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

From the K-3 web site, it says:

QuoteQuote:
Wireless LAN remote control operation

The K-3 accepts the optional O-FC1 FLUCARD FOR PENTAX 16GB to provide wireless LAN functions** using a smartphone or tablet computer. You can release the K-3’s shutter and change exposure settings from a distance while checking the Live View image, and download and browse captured images on your smartphone/tablet monitor.

** These functions are available with smartphones and tablet computers
supported by iOS and Android operating systems.
Pic related:
Attached Images

10-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read somewhere that the Pentax specific Flucard would be supported by Android 4.2 smartphones and tablets. Is this true?

I am eyeing a rugged Android phone that is running Android 4.04 and would like to know whether the phone would be usable with the tethering controls coming with the Pentax specific Flucard.
10-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #28
Pentaxian

It says that it is compatible wit IoS and Android Phone/tablets, so I would believe it is possible..
10-24-2013, 02:36 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
I read somewhere that the Pentax specific Flucard would be supported by Android 4.2 smartphones and tablets. Is this true?

I am eyeing a rugged Android phone that is running Android 4.04 and would like to know whether the phone would be usable with the tethering controls coming with the Pentax specific Flucard.
If the app requires Android 4.2 (API level 17), then it won't work in an Android 4.0.4 (API level 15) device. Don't buy any new phone or tablet until the FLUcard manual or the app become available and we see the defineite requirements.
10-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sony z1 and note 3 active
QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote