Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #61
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
Hi Adam, we are almost at the end of December, have you heard anything new regarding the availability of the card?, thanks
I thought I read somewhere that there would be further delays, until Feb or something like that?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I thought I read somewhere that there would be further delays, until Feb or something like that?
Yet is purchasable from Ricoh UK !!

Misc accessories - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.

or is this a put you on backorder special ?
12-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #63
RJH

Yikes!

I guess that, technically, the card seems to be available in the UK but - at 2.3 times the listed price on Adorama - I don't think I'd be rushing in to buy it!

On a slightly different note, I have been using an 8GB Flucard with my K-3 and found the website pretty unhelpful when it came to connecting the card to my desktop. The software leans very heavily towards allowing the card to function as a standalone accesspoint, which is fine if you are connecting via a laptop that is not connected to a LAN, but not useful if you are connecting via a desktop and an access point connected to an existing lan.

After a little back and forth, I did get the card to log on to an access point. The first issue was resolved when I realised that the card disconnected when the camera auto powered down. The problem then became how to discover the IP address it had been assigned so that I could open the web interface of the card. No, that doesn't appear on the cards status page.

My favourite network discovery tool for Android - Fing - helped out there and by entering the revealed address, in Firefox on my desktop, I could reach the cards web interface. Unfortunately, the card auto refreshes in order to reload the page in the format http://flucard/home.html. Not very helpful since the result is that the cards interface appears briefly before refreshing and disappearing completely.

To work around this I re-enter the address in the format http://192.168.1.108/home.html (your address will,of course, be different) and off we go. The web based interface is surprisingly responsive and I can review the files on the card from my desktop before downloading or deleting them straight to an archive folder.

A little bit more thought from the manufacturer would have been really great!!
12-31-2013, 12:00 AM   #64
Pentaxian

It was listed at Henry's when I bought the K3, and am waiting on backorder.

RJH, this card is different from the stock flucards. It is made for the K3 and supposedly allows remote control of the camera functions. We shall see when they show up what they do.

12-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #65
RJH

Thanks Derek kite, I am aware of the difference in functionality between the O-FC1 (the card designed to work in tandem with the K-3) and a standard Flucard. It is the O-FC1 version that is advertised on Adorama for US$100:00. Interestingly I also found it advertised on Amazon Japan for about GB£77. Edit: I just read the Japanese listing more carefully and delivery date is after February 28th.

My Flucard came free with a K-3 that I bought in Sydney but you can pick up the 8GB (non K-3) version here, in New Zealand, for a little over NZ $100 (£50ish).

Looks like Adorama are offering a pretty good deal (yes, I know that it's never been spotted in the wild yet! )

Last edited by RJH; 12-31-2013 at 10:48 AM.
01-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have today taken delivery of the Pentax K3 and the Pentax Flucard. Having only had a moment or two to fiddle with it I can say that:
- The flucard apps from the Play store (I use Android on a Sony Z2) do not work very well with the Pentax card
- The flucard on the PC has two folders. One for pictures, the other for settings.
- The Browser on the phone (Chrome in my case) allows me to take control of the camera and take snaps / focus in the picture / adjust the camera / transfer the photos
I will play more but it will take a bit of time. I'd rather learn a bit more about the K3 first.

Savcom
01-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #67
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by savcom Quote
I have today taken delivery of the Pentax K3 and the Pentax Flucard. Having only had a moment or two to fiddle with it I can say that:
- The flucard apps from the Play store (I use Android on a Sony Z2) do not work very well with the Pentax card
- The flucard on the PC has two folders. One for pictures, the other for settings.
- The Browser on the phone (Chrome in my case) allows me to take control of the camera and take snaps / focus in the picture / adjust the camera / transfer the photos
I will play more but it will take a bit of time. I'd rather learn a bit more about the K3 first.

Savcom
There are a few threads about the Flucard. Read them. In short the apps is for ordinary flucards, not the Pentax BUT if used on the computer (PC tested by me) they work.

01-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #68

There is now a version with 32GB for only $50: FluCard

Will this work with the K-3 or is the special "Pentax" Flucard needed?
01-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dicks Quote
There is now a version with 32GB for only $50: FluCard

Will this work with the K-3 or is the special "Pentax" Flucard needed?
The Pentax card gives you remote control function that the standard card doesn't.
01-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The Pentax card gives you remote control function that the standard card doesn't.
I think it's only compatible with the K3 & 645Z at the moment.
01-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
I think it's only compatible with the K3 & 645Z at the moment.
Pentax website says its compatible with the K-S1 also.

Jeff
01-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #72
Veteran Member

I really like the idea of the Flucard, but my wishes:

1. Make bigger capacity cards, at least 32GB.
2. Much faster read/write speeds for the actual SD card. Class 10 is not good enough especially considering the capabilities of the K-3.
3. Price... it's a bit too "premium" priced when you can get basic 16GB Class 10 SD card for $15, there is no way the wireless part is worth $85 out of the total cost. A 32GB version should be no more than 2x a good quality UHS-I rated 32GB card, basically about $75-80 (I was just looking at SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro 95MB/s cards at B&H for about 40 bucks).
01-15-2015, 12:27 AM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Do you have a link where I can read about the remote control function? Looking at a Flucard with 32GB that only cost $50, maybe its worth to not worry about that feature as WiFi is the key reason for me to get such a card.
01-15-2015, 01:07 AM   #74
Veteran Member

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.uk/en/misc/Flucard-Pentax-16GB-O-FC1.html

The official page.
01-15-2015, 01:27 AM   #75

Thanks, I have Windows Phone so the remote control is of no interest