Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #1

K3 Reception Posts.

We are getting close to having the first batch of K3s in our hands. The posts here and elsewhere will make good reading.

Comments such as :-

Fantastic camera - best viewfinder - wonderful high ISO ability - worth every penny/cent - flash problems solved at last - fits my hands perfectly - AA filter system out of this world - better than FF - Ricoh is better than any other company - all controls are exactly in the right place - menu system is easy to use - auto focus and tracking perfect - etc.

will be everywhere and people will be over the moon with pleasure. However, it will not be long before posts with comments like :-

I`ve got a problem with K3 - menu system is a nightmare - compared to Nikon the flash is a joke - compared to Canon the auto focus tracking is a joke - why have Pentax done this? - why have Pentax not done that - camera is too heavy - light - big - small - my pp system does not recognise the RAW files - memory cards are difficult to remove - I should have bought FF - etc.

For me this is all good stuff, I will go out most days taking pictures, and spend the dark winter evenings with a bottle of wine looking at my photos, and then reading these posts. I hope the more I drink, the more hilarious they become.

Richard.

10-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This is sort of stuff happens here with every camera release - the K-7, K-x, K-01, K-30, Q etc.

Baptism of fire, then things settle down.
10-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K5 has been one of the best cameras I have used - ever.
Since the K3 has taken everything good about the K5 and made it better, I have no doubts that I will love the K3 *at least* as much, probably more.

So it will be no surprise if folks who didn't like the K5 will find similar faults in the K3.

I can easily ignore K3 detractors, as I have waited through the waves of the Q, and bought one, as well as the K-01, (bought one too( and countless other Pentax/Ricoh missteps.

The K30/50/500 and color engineering come to mind.

10-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Richard,

Can we just quote your green/red text and be done with it all? My K-3 will arrive in a few weeks, and I'll just put it to work like my K-5 (and K20D before that), so I might not have the time (or inclination) to really hit all the Pros/Cons like you have...

EDIT: BTW, you forgot to include compliments/complaints about the video recording functions!

10-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Richard, if you do spend your dark evenings drinking a bottle of wine while reading PF posts for humor, I think I need to invite myself over to your place to share.
10-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Hey Richard,

Can we just quote your green/red text and be done with it all? My K-3 will arrive in a few weeks, and I'll just put it to work like my K-5 (and K20D before that), so I might not have the time (or inclination) to really hit all the Pros/Cons like you have...

EDIT: BTW, you forgot to include compliments/complaints about the video recording functions!
Hi Panoguy,
You sound as though you`re on my wavelength. I used a K100d to make money and a K20d and now K5. During all that time I have mostly praised my cameras and found ways to workaround any weaknesses they may have. Criticize or jump ship why ?

Richard.
10-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Richard, if you do spend your dark evenings drinking a bottle of wine while reading PF posts for humor, I think I need to invite myself over to your place to share.
Hi Jindesu,
Sounds like a good idea. One snag, I live in Lincolnshire England. Mind you, I may be in the US for a holiday next year.

Richard.

10-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Col
Veteran Member

10-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
Sorry Col,
I must be a bit slow today. I don`t understand your post.
10-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
Col
Veteran Member

I was just joining you in readiness with your first day word cloud. Oh to see that first opening the box video:
"Seems very well protected in its packaging, and now here's a little black plastic cover, which must be used for something."
10-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Richard,

At this point, I'd rather subscribe to the first set of thoughts - your green comments. Although we might see a glitch or two in the first release, I hope not.

If I were a cynic, I would add to your 'red' list: I can't choose my K-3 body colour by RGB value. I'm outa here. Wait for it.

- Craig
10-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
I was just joining you in readiness with your first day word cloud. Oh to see that first opening the box video:
"Seems very well protected in its packaging, and now here's a little black plastic cover, which must be used for something."
Thanks Col,
It`s almost 100% certain that someone will be unhappy if the box is not sealed, or if the camera arrives with more than a couple of clicks.

Richard.
10-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Richard,

At this point, I'd rather subscribe to the first set of thoughts - your green comments. Although we might see a glitch or two in the first release, I hope not.

If I were a cynic, I would add to your 'red' list: I can't choose my K-3 body colour by RGB value. I'm outa here. Wait for it.

- Craig
You`re correct c.a.m. Thre will be plenty -`I`m outa here`. Thing is I suspect that some of those people actually won`t know how to use the camera properly anyway. Come to that, they will have no real knowledge of any camera, and no desire to learn.

Richard.
10-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Spencer Quote
I hope the more I drink, the more hilarious they become.
Made my day
10-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Spencer Quote
...spend the dark winter evenings with a bottle of wine looking at my photos...
Yeah, I also use this technique to make my photos look better