Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

Few questions about K-3

I read a lot about this new Pentax flagship, read recently released manual. Please help me with few questions I still have:

1) RAW is 14bit, is it possible to switch to lower 12 bit?
2) DNG size of 54Mb (2Gb/37 RAW images as per manual) sounds scary, I wonder if LightRoom on my computer will be able to handle it...
3) K-5 records sound with with 32 kHz sampling, what about K-3?
4) will it track object during filming, like consumer camcorders do?
5) Adam mentioned about "manual video controls", can someone elaborate on this?

10-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Regarding #3, I use RawTherapee, and I've had it consume more than 1 GB of memory under the most demanding conditions with RAW files from my K-5. RawTherapee uses 32 bits per channel per pixel, so these high memory requirements might not be typical. I don't anticipate performance problems with a reasonably current computer (and my HP laptop is more than three years old, with 8 GB of RAM installed).

--DragonLord
10-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IDude Quote
2) DNG size of 54Mb
I dont think this is accurate, thats a pretty huge increase from the K-5 raw files, no? Hope someone can answer these questions, now Im curious too
10-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I dont think this is accurate, thats a pretty huge increase from the K-5 raw files, no? Hope someone can answer these questions, now Im curious too
Friend of mine has shared with me some pictures taken with D700 (12Mpx), 14bit non-compressed DNGs were about 20Mb, thus for 24Mpx sensor it should be 40Mb+

10-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

But Pentax compresses their dng.
10-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well the manual states that
1. A 2GB card should hold 37 frames RAW (54MB), Indeed only 111 max quality jpeg (18MB)

2. In the system requirement of Digital Camera Utility 5. It says HDD capacity for images of 10MB per file (jpeg) and 30MB RAW

I wonder if we have figures for uncompressed in the camera and lossless compressed on the PC. I trust the camera will save compressed files to the SD cards... or I've bought the wrong size cards.

Last edited by Col; 10-23-2013 at 02:47 PM.
10-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You'll probably end up seeing raw files well under 30mb thanks to the compression.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
Col
Veteran Member

Adam is it possible to combine the 3 Manual Read threads that are running already?

10-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IDude Quote
I read a lot about this new Pentax flagship, read recently released manual. Please help me with few questions I still have:

1) RAW is 14bit, is it possible to switch to lower 12 bit?
2) DNG size of 54Mb (2Gb/37 RAW images as per manual) sounds scary, I wonder if LightRoom on my computer will be able to handle it...
3) K-5 records sound with with 32 kHz sampling, what about K-3?
4) will it track object during filming, like consumer camcorders do?
5) Adam mentioned about "manual video controls", can someone elaborate on this?
(1) I don't see any option to switch to 12 bit - but why would you want to? If it is to save space it won't make that much difference .

(2) As far as I know it does not have any form of continuous autofocus during video. The only autofocus available is to press the AF button and it will do a single autofocus. You can of course press the AF button repeatedly but if it behaves anything like the K-30 the image will momentarily go out of focus before it actually focuses, so it will detract a lot from the quality of the final product.

(5) Manual video controls means you can adjust aperture, shutter speed and ISO just as you do with stills. You can also select all (or most of) the AE modes Tv/Av/Sv/Tav/P. The catch is that you can only change these things before shooting the video. Once the video is rolling you cannot change anything. I'm not sure why there should be this limitation but from reading the manual it looks pretty certain that it is like that. So if you set it to manual and lighting changes while shooting there is nothing you can do about it.
On the K-30 although you cannot change the aperture while shooting you can change the shutter speed. I can understand the K-30 has a mechanical limitation preventing change of aperture (the mirror needs to go down for the aperture lever to move) but on the K-3 this limitation should not exist and much less should it on the shutter speed.
I am hoping that at least exposure compensation is still adjustable during shooting (as it is on the K-30).

Even more I am hoping that this is all just an error in the manual (or that I am misunderstanding it). Looks like we will have to wait and see unless someone has already checked it out on one of the pre-release models.
10-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I would want to say that typical DNG size for the K-3 will hover between 35-40 MB. For reference, the average DNG from my K-5 is 25 MB in size; the largest I currently have is 31 MB.

--DragonLord
10-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I would want to say that typical DNG size for the K-3 will hover between 35-40 MB. For reference, the average DNG from my K-5 is 25 MB in size; the largest I currently have is 31 MB.

--DragonLord
Woah! Just checked my K5 DNG files and they were 18MB-20MB but generally I was using ISO 80
10-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Oh, another thing to consider with DNG files is that they can contain a lot of extra info, like preview jpegs and development data. This can increase their size, depending on settings. Guess we'll see.

But there is a case to be made for 12 bit "raw" files. Also, currently the Pentax compression is lossless, but a lossy compression might also make sense. Read up on what Nikon is doing, I think they call it sRaw. There are some very clever things that can be done to make files smaller, without losing significant quality and allowing almost everything raw files allow (things that jpegs do not). In some cases, the compression can even help reduce noise. For those of us who dont feel like buying stacks of hard drives, this could be a very useful feature.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 10-23-2013 at 03:42 PM.
10-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
generally I was using ISO 80
Size varies a lot with ISO. Shoot at high ISO and DNG file size on the K-5 grows significantly. It happens with all cameras, but it has always puzzled me why it happens.
10-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Size varies a lot with ISO. Shoot at high ISO and DNG file size on the K-5 grows significantly. It happens with all cameras, but it has always puzzled me why it happens.
The more detail there is in an image the less compressible it becomes (when lossless compression is used). Noise generates extra detail, even if it is unwanted. The compression algorithm doesn't know or care whether the detail is noise or real detail and it will ensure that it is preserved. So the more noise there is the larger the file size. However the increase in size depends also on the amount of real detail. For instance a photo containing a lot of grass and foliage and very little sky might result in almost the same filesize at high and low ISO whereas a picture with featureless modern buildings and a lot of blue sky will be much bigger at high ISO than low ISO becasue most of the 'detail' would actually be noise at high ISO and that 'detail' would not be present in the low ISO shot.
10-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
but it has always puzzled me why it happens.
Its harder to compress noise, because noise is so random?