Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
sorry, i am not confused, page 88 tin the K-3 Manual talks about using hss sync speed faster then 1/180
When people talk about flash sync faster than 1/180s, they are referring to standard flash sync, not high speed sync. High speed sync has other restrictions (such as much lower power) that some people do not like. These people see that Canon and Nikon have flash sync at 1/250s and therefore complain that Pentax is limited to 1/180s.

Again, there is a difference between standard flash sync and high speed sync.

10-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Do you understand the difference between the regular and high speed sync mode?
10-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I'm not certain, but does it seem to suggest that if you have the Pentax flashes mounted, in Tv mode you could increase the shutter speed with the dial to above 1/180 and get HSS mode. I know you can set HSS mode in the flash unit, and set the shutter speed to what you want. It states specifically that with the built-in flash you can't set the shutter above 1/180
10-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
When people talk about flash sync faster than 1/180s, they are referring to standard flash sync, not high speed sync. High speed sync has other restrictions (such as much lower power) that some people do not like. These people see that Canon and Nikon have flash sync at 1/250s and therefore complain that Pentax is limited to 1/180s.

do you anywhere in any of my post say that there wasn't a difference? No Offence, but i never said there wasn't! I have only spoke of HSS Sync, and nothing else,

It seems some have mistaken my OP, where i only speak using a hss faster ther 1/180 of a 2nd, and no, x-sync is not the same.

10-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
do you anywhere in any of my post say that there wasn't a difference? No Offence, but i never said there wasn't! I have only spoke of HSS Sync, and nothing else,

It seems some have mistaken my OP, where i only speak using a hss faster ther 1/180 of a 2nd, and no, x-sync is not the same.
"My point is/was for this Post: People were complaing that on the Prior Cameras they couldn't set a faster sync speed speed then 1/180 of a 2nd"

They still can't. They can't set their standard sync faster than 1/180s. They weren't looking for HSS. I'm really lost by what you are looking to clarify here - people who were complaining about the sync speed before were referring specifically about standard sync speed. The memo on page 88 would mean nothing to those people, because again - they were looking for an increased standard sync speed.
10-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
"My point is/was for this Post: People were complaing that on the Prior Cameras they couldn't set a faster sync speed speed then 1/180 of a 2nd"

They still can't. They can't set their standard sync faster than 1/180s. They weren't looking for HSS. I'm really lost by what you are looking to clarify here - people who were complaining about the sync speed before were referring specifically about standard sync speed. The memo on page 88 would mean nothing to those people, because again - they were looking for an increased standard sync speed.
My bad!
10-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #22

There is a way to combine higher shutter speeds with a single burst flash at full power, but it does require the use of a HSS capable flash to trigger another slave flash.
It is called hyper-sync. The flash duration of the slave at full power has to be fairly low. For the Metz 48 AF-1 it is 1/125sec, and I know that my Yongnuo560 will work as well.
I haven't read the K-3 manual yet, but at dpreview, there was reference to the K-3's built-in flash having HSS capability, which then can be used to optically trigger the slave.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/180003-...ml#post2541689

Edit: It seems that the built-in flash for the K-3 is not HSS capable, but a dedicated hot shoe flash with HSS will do the trick.

Last edited by Catalana; 10-23-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Error about K-3 feature
10-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Realistically, with the latitude of RAW files and the availability of ND filters, how many can honestly say that they have lost a shot because the flash sync speed is 1/180 rather than 1/250? Bueller..... Bueller...? I'm just curious?
10-23-2013, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Realistically, with the latitude of RAW files and the availability of ND filters, how many can honestly say that they have lost a shot because the flash sync speed is 1/180 rather than 1/250? Bueller..... Bueller...? I'm just curious?
The ND's speak to outdoor strobe lighting to balance the artificial with ambient light. Yes, easily corrected w/ ND's and the DR of the K-5/K-30 series albeit with a bit more effort.

For me personally, and I'm sure I'm not alone - it's about freezing action at events. I've had quite a few blurry smiles, hand shakes, hugs, etc. at 1/180. There's nothing to be done about that other than a faster shutter speed, which, at the moment is not available using the regular sync speed. Wedding and event photographers will know exactly what I mean with this.

-Heie
10-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #25

Once again, it can be done. The devil is in the details. My K-5 will not send a trigger signal to the hotshoe at a shutter speed over the "standard" sync speed,
unless a HSS enabled flash is mounted. Obviously the flash must also be Pentax compatible. The HSS flash (Metz 48 AF-1) by itself though, can only send a series of low power flashes,
which limits the effective distance. If I where to add a wide flash bracket and mount a YN560 set to S2 mode (optical trigger / ignoring pre-flash) and point the head of the HSS flash
at the sensor of the YN560, the YN560 can fire a full power burst. In my tests, I get no banding, even at 1/8000sec.
Exposure is manually controlled, either with aperture of shutter speed.
I've tried other configurations, but the above is the only one that works so far. It might look weird with two flashes mounted...
10-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
Once again, it can be done. The devil is in the details. My K-5 will not send a trigger signal to the hotshoe at a shutter speed over the "standard" sync speed,
unless a HSS enabled flash is mounted. Obviously the flash must also be Pentax compatible. The HSS flash (Metz 48 AF-1) by itself though, can only send a series of low power flashes,
which limits the effective distance. If I where to add a wide flash bracket and mount a YN560 set to S2 mode (optical trigger / ignoring pre-flash) and point the head of the HSS flash
at the sensor of the YN560, the YN560 can fire a full power burst. In my tests, I get no banding, even at 1/8000sec.
Exposure is manually controlled, either with aperture of shutter speed.
I've tried other configurations, but the above is the only one that works so far. It might look weird with two flashes mounted...
But this has the same disadvantage as HSS.?

If your flash delivers T.1 = 1/125 and your shutter is firing at 1/8000 then light on target = 1/64 of full output.

And as you need a HSS capable flash to do it I fail to see any advantage over just using HSS.
10-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #27

Still thinking of a reply, but the devil is in the details....:-)
10-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #28
Veteran Member

+1 to this. also, HSS is only efficient on Pentax if the HSS flash is on the hotshoe. I'm not sure if the famed Cactus triggers enable wireless HSS~
10-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
+1 to this. also, HSS is only efficient on Pentax if the HSS flash is on the hotshoe. I'm not sure if the famed Cactus triggers enable wireless HSS~
Would you explain what you mean.?

HSS is the same efficiency whether remote or local !

On/off hot shoe makes no difference at all to it's efficiency.

And no Cactus trigger to not allow HSS they are dumb cheap triggers.
10-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Would you explain what you mean.?

HSS is the same efficiency whether remote or local !

On/off hot shoe makes no difference at all to it's efficiency.
Well first off, using HSS reduces the effective power output and range of the flash. I have a Metz 58 AF-2, and I only go above 1/180s on it using P-TTL HSS. That means I'm limited to using it ONLY while mounted on the camera - resulting in a straight-on pop, with measurements done by the camera.

What i like about having higher STANDARD flash sync are effects like this (photo not mine, just saw it on the net, credit goes to the owner):

Having a higher standard flash sync allows you to use even manual flashes with a wider option for action shots. While some may argue that the effect can be achieved by using faster apertures on lenses and ND filters, some shots just really need higher shutter speeds. Of course, not everyone would use that... but then again not everyone wants video and manufacturers continue (and improve) to stick 'em in still cameras. It's all about having more options, and in cameras like the K-3, having more options in-camera is always better.

1/180s standard flash sync limits action shots to movement that can be captured efficiently at that speed. Mounting an HSS flash on the camera will help solve the problem, but ONLY if you use it within its effective distance covered - and the faster you go, the closer you have to be to keep the exposure evenly lit. In that case, to achieve the same look and feel and angle and field of view, you might have to change lenses, or add in continuous light (which is more expensive usually).

So in a nutshell, it puts a roadblock/obstacle early on in your "shooting options while using flash"

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
And no Cactus trigger to not allow HSS they are dumb cheap triggers.
not sure if you've tried them but thanks for the info.