Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Holding the AF Mode button above the MF AF switch, the front dial moves between AF.S, AF.C or AF.A. The latter switches between AF.S and AF.C modes according to the subject. If the latter works well, you won't get the jitter of AF.C when the subject is stationary, but will do continuous focus if it moves. Another neat one, if it works well it will be very nice.
I've experimented with AF.A on the K-x. I could not under any circumstances make it do anything but AF.S. Maybe it was just me.

Perhaps the K-3 AF.A is different. I hope so.

Regards,
--Anders.

10-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
I've experimented with AF.A on the K-x. I could not under any circumstances make it do anything but AF.S. Maybe it was just me.

Perhaps the K-3 AF.A is different. I hope so.

Regards,
--Anders.
Surely there is hope for that, since the AF system in the K-3 is supposed to be radically different?

I never could get along with AF.C on either of my cameras, K-10d, K-7 and K-5: I have been using AF.S and just half-pressing-releasing-half-pressing-releasing the shutter as my DIY-AF-tracking system, but for small fast moving objects it very rarely works. This kestrel is about as good as it gets for me, with the K-5, when birds are obliging enough to fly by me at a nearly constant distance. And even here the focus IS slightly off as you may notice. (Also heavily cropped)
Attached Images

Last edited by MetteHHH; 10-24-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: poor sentence structure
10-24-2013, 03:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Then an interesting one, Hold AF Status.
You can set to whether to immediately reactivate AF or maintain the focus for a certain amount of time before activating AF when the subject happens to move out of the selected focusing area after being focused.
It's not new, really. Have been available on K-30, K-5 II and probably on K-50 (have not checked if it's available on K-50, but as it is mostly an upgraded K-30, I assume so)
10-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A User Mode for Fast Shot is one I've set up and used a lot. That's not my original idea, but I evangelize for it. Turn off all in-camera processing like lens correction etc. Continuous capture mode, in TAv for fastest captures without delay. I suppose shooting RAW only would eliminate most of that from the start.

10-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Originally posted by derekkite Quote
Then an interesting one, Hold AF Status.
You can set to whether to immediately reactivate AF or maintain the focus for a certain amount of time before activating AF when the subject happens to move out of the selected focusing area after being focused.
It's not new, really. Have been available on K-30, K-5 II and probably on K-50 (have not checked if it's available on K-50, but as it is mostly an upgraded K-30, I assume so)
This is completely new. Nothing like that was available in previous models.
10-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
This is completely new. Nothing like that was available in previous models.
So what I have used the last year does not exist? Or could it be that you are not familiar with expanded area AF function on K-5 II?
10-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Or could it be that you are not familiar with expanded area AF function on K-5 II?
Expended Area AF has nothing to do with the new Hold AF function, which allows you to set the AF system not to react for temporary obstacles (e.g. trees) between the subject and the camera.while tracking.
10-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Expended Area AF has nothing to do with the new Hold AF function, which allows you to set the AF system not to react for temporary obstacles (e.g. trees) between the subject and the camera.while tracking.
That is exactly what the expanded area af does on K-5 II

10-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

That is exactly what the expanded area af does on K-5 II
No, it is not. Expanded area AF uses neighbor AF points to help tracking the subject even if it goes away from the selected focus point area. Hold AF holds the camera from refocusing on something else immediately when the subject hides behind the obstacle.
10-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

No, it doesn't. Expanded area AF uses neighbor AF points to help tracking the subject even if it goes away from the selected focus point area. Hold AF holds the camera from refocusing on something else immediately when the subject is hiding behind the obstacle.
Have you ever used this on K-5 II? I have. A lot. You are clearly missing something here.........
10-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Have you ever used this on K-5 II? I have. A lot. You are clearly missing something here.........
On the K-30 expanded area AF does have focus hold, in the sense that it actually behaves as described for the K3, except that it is not configurable to be more or less reactive as it is on the K3.

I have used it succesfully to keep birds in focu seven as they fly behind tree branches and such. The camera knows to ignore the momentary loss of focus as the pole obscures the bird and immediately continues where it left off as soon as the bird is visible to any of the nine focus points. What you can do differently on the K3 is to decide how long the camera should wait for the subject to reappear before refocussing on something else.

The K3 also has some new tricks to help it better decide in the form of the exposure sensor which has now practically become a video camera in itself. By analysing the moving images from the exposure sensor it can make better decisions on which focussing point if any it should be using at any particular instant. Fro the way it is described it seems to work pretty much like live view focus tracking except that it uses the image sensor (the small one of the exposure meter) for the visual information (keeping track of what is moving where) but then using the PDAF sensor to correctly acquire focus rather than by contrast analysis of the image (which would of course not work because it hasn;t enough resolution)
10-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Have you ever used this on K-5 II?
I use it constantly if I use the AF-C mode. But AF hold is something completely different - here you have it:
10-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
The camera knows to ignore the momentary loss of focus as the pole obscures the bird and immediately continues where it left off as soon as the bird is visible to any of the nine focus points. What you can do differently on the K3 is to decide how long the camera should wait for the subject to reappear before refocussing on something else.
With the K-5IIs is more like a system is slow to sample the scene for subject movement more than deliberate holding from refocusing, so yes it's not going to refocus on obstacle that fast, but because it's rather so slow than so smart. And because the K-3 is supposed to be much faster, you have an option to configure how it behaves. But it still has nothing to do with the expanded area AF.
10-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #29
Veteran Member

AF.C mode doesn't in itself have focus hold. It is when you activate expanded area AF that it comes into play. That is on the K-30 - I don't know if it is the same on the K-5 / K-5II.
10-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

It is when you activate expanded area AF that it comes into play.
I have it activated - always.
That is on the K-30 - I don't know if it is the same on the K-5 / K-5II.
The original K-5 doesn't have that option, but the K-5II/IIs do.