Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Pentaxian

From the manual, a few items and concerns

Page 82 Restrictions on the Combinations of Special Functions
Continuous shooting Save Raw Data Not available ???

Page 73 fx button can toggle SR.

Page 47 Focus peaking is available.

Page 52 Multiple exposures can be set to Average, Additive or Bright. Interesting.

Page 74 Three AF half shutter combinations. AF on half shutter, AF on AF button, AF on AF button except when half shutter press.

Page 25 Bulb mode options? They aren't listed.

The AF functions are interesting and will take some getting used to. Hopefully they work well.

The manual is strangely incomplete. Very concise, maybe there is a technical manual to be available.

Last edited by derekkite; 10-23-2013 at 06:56 PM.
10-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
They mean, you cannot save the last JPG in RAW which is normally available.
Page 47 Focus peaking is available.
For LV mode - what about filming? Is it available during recording?
The manual is strangely incomplete.
Yes. Like they were still working on some features...
10-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Maybe it's the basic operations printed manual with eventually a CD with more info?
10-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Page 82 Restrictions on the Combinations of Special Functions

Page 73 fx button can toggle SR.
Yes, that first one got me too, but as pointed out, seems related to jpeg bursts.

The SR toggle - is that on the K-5 II?

AB

10-23-2013, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote
Yes, that first one got me too, but as pointed out, seems related to jpeg bursts.

AB
Nope, not on K-5 anyway -- been missing that since the K10D with its dedicated switch. Would like to be able to turn focus peaking on and off without menus also...
10-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
They mean, you cannot save the last JPG in RAW which is normally available.
For LV mode - what about filming? Is it available during recording?
Yes. Like they were still working on some features...
Ok, I got it. Save Raw Data is a function, not a mode. Makes sense.

I couldn't find anything about focus peaking in movie mode. It isn't in the menus or in the movie section. It says it is available in AF or MF modes in Liveview.
10-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Adam said that focus peaking was available in movie mode, if I remember correctly..
10-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Nope, not on K-5 anyway -- been missing that since the K10D with its dedicated switch. Would like to be able to turn focus peaking on and off without menus also...
I agree, focus peaking would be good on one the customise-able buttons.

So, anyone on the K-5II?

10-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nope.
10-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Nope.
Ah well, they've been paying attention with the K-3. Good stuff.
10-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

No, but if you disable the status screen, one press of the "Info" button takes you to the SR control directly.

Not as good as a dedicated button, but almost as quick.
10-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A couple more things. There are three user modes, which can be named, accessible through the U1,2 and 3 on the mode dial.

Exposure mode
Sensitivity
EV compensation
EA metering
AF point
Flash mode
Drive mode
white balance
custom image
The custom menu settings and the camera menu settings.

I had set that up in my K5 but the nuisance of changing modes made it less useful. This will be used.

The AF functions are interesting.

Holding the AF Mode button above the MF AF switch, the front dial moves between AF.S, AF.C or AF.A. The latter switches between AF.S and AF.C modes according to the subject. If the latter works well, you won't get the jitter of AF.C when the subject is stationary, but will do continuous focus if it moves. Another neat one, if it works well it will be very nice.

Then in the menus you can change from focus priority to release priority on AF.S AF.C also has Auto. AF.C has FPS priority as well. Then an interesting one, Hold AF Status.
You can set to whether to immediately reactivate AF or maintain the focus for a certain amount of time before activating AF when the subject happens to move out of the selected focusing area after being focused. Immediate, low, medium or high. I think I will use this one as well.

AF Mode and back dial chooses focusing area. Auto 27 pts, Zone select 9 pts, select from 27 pts, expanded small 9pts, medium 25pts and large 27pts, and spot.

All but Auto and Spot allows you to select the points you want to use. The 4 way button lets you select them.

Live view focus, rear dial chooses Face Detection, Tracking, Multiple AF points of various sizes, Select or spot again using the 4 way to select the points.

It will be interesting to see how it works and which mode works. I suspect I'll use spot with the hold function, and AF.A. Most of what I shoot is moving or small still things.
10-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

It will be interesting to see how it works and which mode works.
There is probably a lot of learning to do about the capabilties of the new K-3 AF system, and how to get the most out of it.

Ricoh should do a AF settings guide for the K-3 like Canon has done for the 1Dx.
It's available as a handy PDF download (2.3MB)

Many of the K-3's AF settings and concepts seem similar to those of the Canon.
10-23-2013, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The AF functions are interesting.

Holding the AF Mode button above the MF AF switch, the front dial moves between AF.S, AF.C or AF.A. The latter switches between AF.S and AF.C modes according to the subject. If the latter works well, you won't get the jitter of AF.C when the subject is stationary, but will do continuous focus if it moves. Another neat one, if it works well it will be very nice.

Then in the menus you can change from focus priority to release priority on AF.S AF.C also has Auto. AF.C has FPS priority as well. Then an interesting one, Hold AF Status.
You can set to whether to immediately reactivate AF or maintain the focus for a certain amount of time before activating AF when the subject happens to move out of the selected focusing area after being focused. Immediate, low, medium or high. I think I will use this one as well.
Wow. Sounds like the perfect birding-AF, if this works well.

AF.A: I imagine spotting a little owl on a fencepost. Locking focus, snapping happily as it preens its feathers - then it takes off, and my camera automatically switches to continous focus to track the little bird in flight...
...or walking through a wet meadow: There's a jack snipe just a couple of meters away, pressing firmly against the grass, confident in its camouflage abilities. I get a few close ups, and then the sound of the shutter is too much for the bird - it takes wing - and my camera switches to continous and maintains focus.... *wistful sigh*

Can't wait to play with this! And I look forward to hearing other people's experiences - particularly those of you who share my weakness for wildlife shooting!

How about user mode setting for wildlife shooting, any thoughts? I never really used the user modes before - TAv seems like the default wildlife mode for me... but I bet there are ways to improve this that I never even thought about.
10-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
How about user mode setting for wildlife shooting, any thoughts?
I think it is doable. From the manual it appears that one can set and record specific AF area configurations (p46) under a User Mode (p-75), as well as drive mode, exposure mode etc.