Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Looking forward to testing this. In the studio it would simplify my setup quite a bit by eliminating the need for wireless triggers.
There are (or at least used to be) flashes and even optical remote triggers that can be set to ignore the preflash and only trigger on the main flash. These were actually invented long before P-ttl systems and were initially used to avoid triggering on the 'red-eye reduction' pre-flash. I had one such flash, about 20 years old, that worked fine in remote even with my K-r. It had a three position switch on the side and the idea was that by trial and error you find out which position works best. Presumably position 0 was for no preflash and the other two catered for different delay, nuimber of pulses or something of the sort.

I don;t have any slave flashes nowadays as I use RF triggers but I'm pretty sure that today's 'dumb' slave flashes are not that dumb and can deal with the simple matter of ignoring the preflash.

10-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
No, the Yongnuos feature a "smart" optical slave modes, and a "dumb" optical slave mode. I don't own one, but I think they call it S1 and S2 mode, not sure which is which though. Traditional optical slaves were just a simple photo cell that would trigger the flash when it sensed a burst of light, but because modern flash systems use a preflash to determine exposure, a "dumb" optical slave will be fooled into firing the flash prior to the exposure.

If Pentax has added manual control to the pop-up flash, that means there is no need for the preflash to determine the exposure, hence, it will be possible to trigger studio strobes, or other dumb slaves with the popup flash.

To answer your other question flash compensation is not the same thing as manual control. Flash compensation tells the camera "add one stop to whatever you think is the correct exposure" (or subtract), but it still uses the pTTL preflash reading to determine it's base exposure. Manual control simply tells the camera "Fire the flash at quarter power", or half, or full etc... Manual control does not rely on the camera to make the exposure decision.
Thanks
10-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I don;t have any slave flashes nowadays as I use RF triggers but I'm pretty sure that today's 'dumb' slave flashes are not that dumb and can deal with the simple matter of ignoring the preflash.
You might be right, though I've never found a slave that worked right that way. Maybe some of the newer ones do. I use all RF triggers now too but none of my older slave flashes will work with an optical trigger, they all go off with the pre-flash. Which is why I use RF now. I have a Nikon SB26 that has a switch for timing the flash, supposedly to wait until the main flash and ignore the pre-flash but it doesn't work either. Maybe Nikon timing is different.

Anyway if this new option does work without a pre-flash it will allow the use of a lot of my older slave flashes without having to fool around with the RF triggers. My studio strobes also have a optical trigger so this potentially opens up new possibilities for flash configuration.

Do other brand cameras have the option for a manual flash without pre-flash?
10-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

You might be right, though I've never found a slave that worked right that way.
There is a lot of them.
I have a Nikon SB26 that has a switch for timing the flash, supposedly to wait until the main flash and ignore the pre-flash but it doesn't work either. Maybe Nikon timing is different.
The Nikon i-TTL timing is different, but it's an old D-TTL and that switch is for ignoring the red eye reduction pre-flash as far as I remember.
Anyway if this new option does work without a pre-flash it will allow the use of a lot of my older slave flashes without having to fool around with the RF triggers. My studio strobes also have a optical trigger so this potentially opens up new possibilities for flash configuration.
There is not much of "fooling around" with the RF triggers. They are in fact much better and reliable than simple optical triggering, and you don't have to think about what to do with that ugly light pulse from your pop-up.
Do other brand cameras have the option for a manual flash without pre-flash?
Of course.

10-25-2013, 03:08 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
WiFi indicator on top LCD
Am i not up to date, or the K3 doesn't have Wifi ? In that case, how can any wifi can be enable on it ?
10-25-2013, 03:09 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Wifi is via FLU card
10-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Wifi is via FLU card
Or an Eye-Fi SD card (menu support is in the K-3 for Eye-Fi too).

In fact any brand of Wi-Fi card will work to some degree.
10-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Yep.. Though to be frank, I reckon most of us will be getting the (Pentax) FLU just because it's a lot niftier

11-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Yep.. Though to be frank, I reckon most of us will be getting the (Pentax) FLU just because it's a lot niftier
I am a bit puzzled about the WiFi capable features and which WiFi card to purchase. Can someone please provide some clarity?

I know there is support for both the Eye-fi and the FLUcard.

Is one better than the other? Some people keep saying that Pentax is coming out with their own FLUcard; is the Pentax FLUcard better than any other OEM FLUcard from :::: Flucard pro ::::?

Thanks
11-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #25
Pentaxian

The Pentax-specific FluCard will have the added feature that you can remote control the camera with it (as in "tethering").

You cannot do that with any other card.

I also understand that there is no other card that will give you a live view stream of the K-3's sensor.
11-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
is the Pentax FLUcard better than any other OEM FLUcard
The Pentax O-FC1 Flucard is basically a Pentax branded Flucard that adds the ability to control the camera remotely via iOS/Android apps (focus point setting, live view review, aperture/shutter control etc), and maybe some other tricks. I suspect all of the existing Flucard pro software and apps will work with it too.

Edit: Class A beat me to it.
11-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Thanks for the quick response.

Just to be clear, only the Pentax O-FC1 Flucard will offer all the extra features.

In other words, the regular Flucard and the Eye-Fi cards will only offer basic connectivity and features?
11-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I need to be certain about that because Ricoh's price for the Pentax branded Flucard is 3x more than a regular Flucard. I just want to make sure that this Pentax branded version is special.