Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 manual feature hunt and list

Personally I'm blown away by the new features and changes. I was expecting a few things but I started listing things I saw in the manual that I did not recognize and the list just kept growing. Maybe some were already in the k-5 and I missed it but still, this is NOT a k-5 with 24mp.

• U1, U2, U3 on mode dial
  • Peripheral illumination correction
  • Manual flash control for pop-up flash
  • AA filter simulator
  • Card slot # indicator
  • Information tampering warning??
  • Color fringe correction
  • Color moire correction
  • focus point indicator on top LCD
  • Mirror up indicator on top LCD
  • GPS indicator on top LCD
  • WiFi indicator on top LCD
  • Focus peaking
  • Firmware info in menu
  • Wireless card settings (support for both Eye-fi and FLUcard)
  • Flicker reduction setting
  • Protect all images setting
  • Movie menu
  • Hold AF status settings??
  • 1st frame action for AF.C
  • Continuous action for AF.C
  • Multi-exposure drive mode with several settings
  • In-camera editing and cropping of jpeg images
  • In-Camera developing of RAW images into jpeg
  • Shake reduction on RAW/Fx button
  • LCD panel illumination on RAW/Fx button

Feel free to add your finds or subtract if a feature was already present. I might have included something in error and I don't have a k-30 so some features might have been there as well.

10-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Protect all images setting
Movie menu
In-camera editing and cropping of jpeg images
In-Camera developing of RAW images into jpeg
Everything above was in the K-5 before
10-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The Hold AF status is about how quickly it reacts to a change in the subject. If you are panning, following a moving object, and a tree shows up between you and the subject, you can set a delay that holds focus at the distance to the subject while you pan over the tree. This will be one that I will be trying. It could help with losing a flying bird and having the focus hunt. It could also be a pain in the neck. We shall see.
10-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Everything above was in the K-5 before
Ok, I found the movie menu, well it was a sub-menu before and now has it's own tab. But OK it was definitely there.

I can't find protect all images on my k-5 or the crop and edit jpegs, or process RAW files. Can you tell me what menu they are under?

10-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #5

To edit JPGs and RAW you push the button at the back of the camera with the flash symbol while in playback mode, a whole lot of options appear
10-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Manual control of the popup flash is a great addition, and much overdue. If you've ever tried triggering a dumb optical slave, you'll know what I mean.
10-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Manual control of the popup flash is a great addition, and much overdue
I agree.

But if it is true that you cannot use the popup flash for wireless (i.e., optical) HSS control anymore, that would be a bummer. Not that I use it often, but I don't understand the crippling.

10-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I agree.

But if it is true that you cannot use the popup flash for wireless (i.e., optical) HSS control anymore, that would be a bummer. Not that I use it often, but I don't understand the crippling.
+1 - would really like this.
10-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Manual control of the popup flash is a great addition, and much overdue. If you've ever tried triggering a dumb optical slave, you'll know what I mean.
I have no problems triggering my Yongnuo slave optically even with the K-7.
Manual flash exposure compensation is available on the K-7 (even in wireless mode), is this what you're talking about, if so then it's been there a while hasn't it?.
10-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Page 43, Using the Built-In Flash, describing the flash modes:

Wireless Synchronizes the dedicated external flash without using a sync cord. Select Wireless Master, or Wireless Controller.

Then on page 86, Functions when Using an External Flash

By using two external flashes ... or using the built-in flash with one or more external flashes, you can use the wireless mode to shoot in P-TTL flash mode without connecting the flash units with a cord. In this case, set the camera channel on the external flashes. The set channel can be checked on the status screen....
10-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I agree.

The last camera that could do this was the original ISTd no Pentax since has been capable of HSS and wireless from the pop up flash.
Which by my reckoning means the last time you used it was circa 2005

Only options wireless have been Master and controller same as K3.
10-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Manual flash exposure compensation is available on the K-7 (even in wireless mode), is this what you're talking about, if so then it's been there a while hasn't it?.
No there is a new option "Manual Flash Discharge" (PG 43) that says you can set power from FULL to 1/128 on the built in flash.
QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
To edit JPGs and RAW you push the button at the back of the camera with the flash symbol while in playback mode, a whole lot of options appear
Hmm, never knew that was there, thanks.
10-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Which by my reckoning means the last time you used it was circa 2005
Oh, actually my use goes even back further, as in "never".

I confused HSS control with plain wireless control.
That shows you how often I deviate from using manual power settings on my flashes...
10-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
I have no problems triggering my Yongnuo slave optically even with the K-7. Manual flash exposure compensation is available on the K-7 (even in wireless mode), is this what you're talking about, if so then it's been there a while hasn't it?.
No, the Yongnuos feature a "smart" optical slave modes, and a "dumb" optical slave mode. I don't own one, but I think they call it S1 and S2 mode, not sure which is which though. Traditional optical slaves were just a simple photo cell that would trigger the flash when it sensed a burst of light, but because modern flash systems use a preflash to determine exposure, a "dumb" optical slave will be fooled into firing the flash prior to the exposure.

If Pentax has added manual control to the pop-up flash, that means there is no need for the preflash to determine the exposure, hence, it will be possible to trigger studio strobes, or other dumb slaves with the popup flash.

To answer your other question flash compensation is not the same thing as manual control. Flash compensation tells the camera "add one stop to whatever you think is the correct exposure" (or subtract), but it still uses the pTTL preflash reading to determine it's base exposure. Manual control simply tells the camera "Fire the flash at quarter power", or half, or full etc... Manual control does not rely on the camera to make the exposure decision.
10-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If Pentax has added manual control to the pop-up flash, that means there is no need for the preflash to determine the exposure, hence, it will be possible to trigger studio strobes, or other dumb slaves with the popup flash.
Looking forward to testing this. In the studio it would simplify my setup quite a bit by eliminating the need for wireless triggers.