Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
For me personally, The keeper rate at 12800 is around 3 out of 5.
Good to know, in pinch that's certainly worth taking a chance on.

10-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #272
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
That's why they invented shake reduction and autofocus - so I could go on taking photographs. Now I'm waiting for the remote control flying camera, so I can stay at home and send the camera out to take pictures.

I'm 67, btw.
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Chuckle! I spent a lot of time at my last airshow talking to people selling remote control drones and helicopters, to see if I could fit my Q7 to it. This is still on my "to do" list!
10-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #273
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Its Fun to have a High ISO option.

ISO 12800, K-5 IIs
On scaled down image on a 72 dpi computer screen, I thought I had some really good high ISO images without employing any NR. Then I made a 300dpi print. The noise was much more noticeable.
10-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #274
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wasn't saying that ISO 12,800 is useless, just that I would never use it. For non-moving subjects, I would prefer to use a tripod and a low ISO. For moving subjects in the near dark... well, I'd leave that for better photographers than me.

10-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #275
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes you use what you have, and are thankful you have it! I love to shoot birds through my office windows, and it was a rare treat to see a Painted Bunting on my fence one day. It was a dark and dreary morning, and I needed a little speed so I set the K5 on TAv and let it go with whatever it went with. I didn't need a Masterpiece, National Geo is never going to call me anyhow, but I did want a record of the little birdie, they are rare around my place.
I too seldom venture past ISO 6400, but it is nice to have for such situations. If the K3 is as good as the K5 it is plenty good enough for me.

1/125 ISO 12,800 f6.7 @ 500mm through a window pane.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
10-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #276
Pentaxian

Moving subjects in near dark

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I wasn't saying that ISO 12,800 is useless, just that I would never use it. For non-moving subjects, I would prefer to use a tripod and a low ISO. For moving subjects in the near dark... well, I'd leave that for better photographers than me.
The challenge I have set myself is photographing steam trains in moonlight (or by gaslight or similar dim illumination)
A recent shot with my K5 was at 1/30th at f2.8 and iso 12800, whilst panning to try to reduce motion blur...roll on useable 51200 iso or MORE
I also took a tripod shot of myself in full moonlight -6s f2.8 ISO800. The brain does a great job of brightness control, but moonlight is dark!
10-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #277

The brand bias is sure strong in this thread!
I recall the initial reaction to the first sample photos from Ricoh as being less than stellar, and in many cases, very disappointing. Now, a couple of guys take some shots with questionable technique to compare a d600 and a K-3, that may or may not be a production model K-3, and the reaction is nothing less than stellar. I'll reserve judgment until I see actual tests in a well controlled setting and several sample images from a respected review site like DPreview, Imaging Resource, Photozone, etc. I looked at numerous reviews of the d600 and the high ISO samples from this thread look nothing like what I saw in the numerous reviews that I've seen. I love my K-5, but I recently bought a new d610, and although the difference between DX and FX is not that much, the improvement in high ISO and AF tracking is worth the upgrade to me. I have not shot enough photos to sing the praises of the d610 quite yet, but I am enjoying using it.

If the K-3 can match or improve the IQ and low light and AF of the d600, then kudos to Ricoh, but again, I will reserve judgment until I see a comprehensive assessment in a controlled environment from the big review sites with plenty of real world sample photos.
10-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #278
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brazeal Quote
Have you forgotten the name of this forum? It's kinda natural to have a bias here.

10-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #279
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brazeal Quote
I recall the initial reaction to the first sample photos from Ricoh as being less than stellar, and in many cases, very disappointing. Now, a couple of guys take some shots with questionable technique to compare a d600 and a K-3, that may or may not be a production model K-3, and the reaction is nothing less than stellar. I'll reserve judgment until I see actual tests in a well controlled setting and several sample images from a respected review site like DPreview, Imaging Resource, Photozone, etc. I looked at numerous reviews of the d600 and the high ISO samples from this thread look nothing like what I saw in the numerous reviews that I've seen. I love my K-5, but I recently bought a new d610, and although the difference between DX and FX is not that much, the improvement in high ISO and AF tracking is worth the upgrade to me. I have not shot enough photos to sing the praises of the d610 quite yet, but I am enjoying using it.

If the K-3 can match or improve the IQ and low light and AF of the d600, then kudos to Ricoh, but again, I will reserve judgment until I see a comprehensive assessment in a controlled environment from the big review sites with plenty of real world sample photos.
With all due respect, sample photos are up on Imaging Resources, I even posted a few of them myself...in this thread.... I know it's tough to go through everything, but you can't come into a thread after 19 pages and expect things to be about the original post after all that time. It's more likely to be about shooting at 12800 ISO and high fibre diets by then.

Last edited by normhead; 10-30-2013 at 02:08 PM.
10-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #280
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Sometimes you use what you have, and are thankful you have it! I love to shoot birds through my office windows, and it was a rare treat to see a Painted Bunting on my fence one day. It was a dark and dreary morning, and I needed a little speed so I set the K5 on TAv and let it go with whatever it went with. I didn't need a Masterpiece, National Geo is never going to call me anyhow, but I did want a record of the little birdie, they are rare around my place.
I too seldom venture past ISO 6400, but it is nice to have for such situations. If the K3 is as good as the K5 it is plenty good enough for me.

1/125 ISO 12,800 f6.7 @ 500mm through a window pane.
[/url] [/IMG]

Regards!
That's a good looking bird, Rupert. I'm glad you were able to capture it.
10-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #281
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FYI, may be of interest: Top thread on dpreview right now, contains some interesting info further in: Imaging Resource K-3 Test Images
10-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #282
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
FYI, may be of interest
A lot of the same discussion has already been had here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/240948-pentax-k-3-studio-samples-ir.html
10-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #283
Pentaxian

Yep, just looks like lots more opinions, even wilder than the ones here.
10-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #284
Pentaxian

I was happy to see that GordonBGood found that [over] aggressive colour or chroma noise reduction was a factor in the smudged reds in the K-3 OOC JPEG's. My own experiments with the DNG's found that too, before Gordon did
10-30-2013, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #285
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I know it's tough to go through everything, but you can't come into a thread after 19 pages and expect things to be about the original post after all that time. It's more likely to be about shooting at 12800 ISO and high fibre diets by then.
Isn't that the truth Norm! Inevitably a damn squirrel always seems to get into the threads along with high fibre diets!
This one got in at ISO 5,000. Sneaky little devils!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!