Photos: Albums
WOW, I'm sold
10-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I was already sold
10-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #4

I've been debating buying for a week or so, decided about an hour ago to pull the trigger only to find out B&H's "checkout" is down..... waiting patiently

10-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am guessing the f/1.4 version of the nikkor 85mm would give better results than the f/1.8 version used? And would be on par with the DA55?
10-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Col
Veteran Member

I've no idea how they/he managed to make the two dog shots that similar. But, boy that camera looks like its going to be fun. Sorry... serious face... a substantial upgrade.
10-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I am guessing the f/1.4 version of the nikkor 85mm would give better results than the f/1.8 version used? And would be on par with the DA55?
No. The 1.8G is considered sharper than the 1.4G.

10-26-2013, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can always get one camera to get a photo that looks better than from the other, and vice versa. It just depends on the shooting conditions, lens, and settings. I'm sure that most users won't be able to tell the two cameras apart, but now that the d600 is just $250 more than the k-3, are people going to be able to resist the ff urge?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-26-2013, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
"Possibly" ... but I doubt it would make a significant difference (if any) at the apertures used in those shots. The Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S FX is an amazing lens and some Nikon shooters actually prefer it over the 1.4 version because of the lighter weight, snappier AF and still very impressive image quality. (I was a Nikon shooter for a while.)

However, the bigger question is, "If your choice of lens can make THAT much of a impact to image quality then is the price premium for full frame worth it?"

I mean, if all you need is a nicer lens to make an APS-C camera kick the @$$ of a full frame camera then is full frame really the advantage that camera advertising makes it out to be?
10-26-2013, 02:02 PM - 4 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can always get one camera to get a photo that looks better than from the other, and vice versa. It just depends on the shooting conditions, lens, and settings. I'm sure that most users won't be able to tell the two cameras apart, but now that the d600 is just $250 more than the k-3, are people going to be able to resist the ff urge?
Only people who are so fixated on the pro - FF arguements that they can't see the forest for the trees. For the most part the K-3 images are sharper, better contrast, and more DoF. SO what's not to like?

It's fine to say, well this is only one comparison... but this is when the lawyer puts down his folder, turns to the other lawyer and says, your witness. SO where is the compelling competing evidence? They didn't even mention things like the a faster frame rate etc.

The astounding thing to me is that a person could look at those images and think, "I have to have a full frame." Looking at those images why wouldn't you say "I have to have a K-3." What's not to like?
10-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It's unfortunate that they used the same f/stop per camera. The K-3 needed to be one stop faster to be fair (DOF mainly)

PS:

At the highest ISO setting the D600 bests the Pentax (as you would expect)

*but*

had the Pentax lens been used one stop faster (for equivalent DOF) the ISO on the K-3 would NOT have had to be the same anyway and

so

the Pentax would have matched the FF with IQ.

Last edited by bossa; 10-26-2013 at 02:10 PM.
10-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, I am going for aps-c. It gives me 24MP on a smaller area and that counts a lot for me as I want the most out of my tele lenses.
10-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
However, the bigger question is, "If your choice of lens can make THAT much of a impact to image quality then is the price premium for full frame worth it?"

I mean, if all you need is a nicer lens to make an APS-C camera kick the @$$ of a full frame camera then is full frame really the advantage that camera advertising makes it out to be?
Thanks for the info about the lens. Regarding sensor formats, I don´t really care as long as I can get good value lens and that means k mount to me. I don´t think that test proves anything. And, it could be the other way arround, with marketing telling you APS-C is good enough and much cheaper? I am not for or against any of these formats. Don´t even think there´s a point comparing them.
10-26-2013, 02:15 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
It's unfortunate that they used the same f/stop per camera. The K-3 needed to be one stop faster to be fair (DOF mainly)
Yes, F/4 with a 85mm lens is shallower than F/4 on a 55mm lens (which is why the Nikon has smoother bokeh/background blur) ... but I'm sure more people would cry foul if the author used different apertures on the different cameras.

I'm more impressed with the way the color and contrast are rendered in the areas of the images that are in focus ... and how the K-3 handles ISO noise.

If you want more background blur on the K-3 you can shoot at F2 or 2.8 (or go crazy and shoot wide open at F1.4 if shallow DOF is really your thing).

In my mind the argument for full frame comes down to DOF/crop factor and whether that's a problem for you. Trying to argue in favor of full frame because of "image quality" is becoming less and less of a real issue ... camera manufacturers just want you to think it matters more so they can sell full frame cameras. Sort of the same conclusion I came to earlier this year after shooting with the Sony A99 and NEX-6 side by side for a while:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/216935-why-i-dont-...ull-frame.html
10-26-2013, 02:16 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Well actually, no, for those of us for whom wider DoF is critical, straight up comparisons are what we want. We want to know, ƒ5.6 on APS-c compared to ƒ5.6 on FF, because ƒ5.6 is usually the sweet spot for lw/ph, we want to know which gives us more DoF at that point, this crazy notion of less DoF at a given Aperture is better, 95% of the time is total hogwash.

My last series of mushroom shots, I didn't have the DoF I wanted at ƒ22. How would having a full frame have helped me? I took 4 photos each at ƒ stops 2.8, 5.6, 11, and 22. 10 shots, The keepers, 5 @ƒ22, 4 @ ƒ 11, 1 @ ƒ 5.6. You have to get this narrower DoF is good thing out of your head. 95% of the time it's not. Next some clown will come on here and say "well you could always have gone to ƒ32 on FF. Well, the lens, which is an FF lens, doesn't go to ƒ 32, so no, I couldn't have done the same thing by going to ƒ32 on FF.