10-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

D600 is discontinued!
Probably.
Nikon D600 marked as discontinued | Nikon Rumors

10-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #32

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
We pay an extra 10% GST and anything Nikon Australia adds on that they think they can get away with.
Yes, but the K3 has 10% gst also. The price difference is still high
10-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can always get one camera to get a photo that looks better than from the other, and vice versa. It just depends on the shooting conditions, lens, and settings. I'm sure that most users won't be able to tell the two cameras apart, but now that the d600 is just $250 more than the k-3, are people going to be able to resist the ff urge?
The D600 is not $250 apart here in Singapore.
Add to that, I would not buy one here even if its was $250 cheaper because of the stain issues (and 2nd hand prices are falling fast for this camera here w/ few ppl picking it up).
It can be cleaned of course, but the hassle and its just wrong to give Nikon the money for their poor handling of the issue.
Its also not as 'complete' a camera compared to K3 (SR; -3evAF, 24 cross points, etc)

I think I see better color+contrast on the K3 shots.
Looking at the fence post, the D600 still has better fine details (slight).
It also has at least 1 stain spot
The K3 certainly has better colors and contrast which can also add to apparent sharpness.

The way both cameras handle high ISO to me is a wash.
The 12800 shots, the K3 is certainly more defined (or is it just more contrast??) than the D600, but its grainier but thats not a bother to me at all.

What surprised me was that DOF was similar enough in the samples not to give the D600 an advantage in giving a shallow DOF 'look' often associated with FF.
I attribute this to the fact that they were all samples of small stuff where the k3 can get closer in focus.

Overall, very impressive for the K3 and we are not even talking about the SR, -3v AF, etc..
To me the conclusion is
"If you already have a Pentax, buy a K3, and don't think about all the big theories and doom and gloom"
"If you do not, consider the K3 unless sensor size is the dominant feature you are looking for in a camera at this price point"
10-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the D600 is such a hot product... and so many people bought it; I can't imagine how they feel now knowing that the camera is already discontinued so soon?!

10-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
I was already sold
Indeed. Reassured.
10-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
If the D600 is such a hot product... and so many people bought it; I can't imagine how they feel now knowing that the camera is already discontinued so soon?!
I don't think they had much choice. The sensor stain issue so tainted that body that they had to introduce the D610 just to put the stigma behind them.
10-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, you can pencil me in as impressed. I am sure in low light situations, the D600 still bests the K3 in high iso situations, but that is to be expected. I was concerned that the K3 was not going to measure up to the K5s performance with regard to dynamic range or, even high iso performance, but I would say that this looks like a half stop better and the high iso files look like they would clean up pretty well.

I know that full frame apologists feel it necessary to bash the K3 in these sorts of comparisons, but the D600 is a fine camera and there are plenty of reasons you would prefer it to the K3. It still doesn't take away from the impressive performance that the K3 shows here.

10-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why do I want full frame?

Nice comparison, I looked at all of the images and I honestly don't see any significant benefit to the d600. I think the K-3 is underpriced to be honest and it should be at the same price as the d600/610. D600 has marginally better IQ, the K-3 is better in all of the other ways that count. I am sold too.
10-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #39
bvg
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
I'm with Col,, how in the world did he manage to keep both dogs still in the same position as he mounted the other camera?????
Probably they were shooting simultaneously "head to head"
10-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Probably they were shooting simultaneously "head to head"
but there does appear to be any divination in the angles
10-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #41
bvg
Veteran Member

I can see some horizontal shift between them.
10-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you take the full-size images into Photoshop and lay one image over the other as a semi-transparent layer you'll see that the dog's head moved VERY slightly from one shot to the other.

I also have a lazy dog that won't move (or barely moves) when I take his photo unless I try to get him to move. Some dogs are just very calm ... and I suspect the author went out of her way to compose and capture images that where as alike as possible for comparison purposes but still "real world" samples.
10-26-2013, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Religious angles will not be tolerated.
10-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I would like to volunteer my services in promoting the K-3! If I could borrow one from the company, I would gladly show it to all my canikon friends!!(and anyone else!) It would be much toil, but I am willing to sacrifice for the cause!
Joel
P.S. This camera is looking like a real donkey kicker!!!
10-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #45
Veteran Member

This is very, very encouraging.

I expect to see the Pentax community jumping for joy when DxOMark confirms these results...

--DragonLord