Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Amateur Photographer UK says Pentax K3 is a giant step for Pentax

Just saw this on the net.....

Probably does not excite many people but to read a magazine's front page that says the K3 is a GIANT step for Pentax kinda gives me some warm and fuzzy feeling.

Amateur Photographer 26 October 2013 | Amateur Photographer

Name:  AP-cover-Oct-26-2013.jpg
Views: 1942
Size:  79.4 KB

10-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to see. Let's hope it will lure more folk to Pentax.
10-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure I'd describe the K-3 as a giant step exactly. But then I'm saying that at least partly from the point of view that Pentax was a lot further ahead in terms of general performance than most commentators have given it credit for.

The AF system would have to match the better AF systems in Nikon and Canon cameras and the new metering chip would need to be really rock solid for the leap to be 'giant' IMO, and even then for some sectors these were never major issues on the K5-II anyway.
10-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I understand that, while Nikon and Canon had faster AF, in the relevant model ranges they weren't necessarily more accurate, so "better" is possibly confined to some aspects only. That said, an improvement in speed and resolution can only be welcome.

I purchase Amateur Photographer (among others) on-line, so I read this article almost as soon as it appeared. Unfortunately, it was fairly brief and confined to a regurgitation of specifications and a quick overview of a pre-production model, but it was very positive. AP, unlike some other magazines we could name, does not slavishly dish up accolades to its major advertisers, and never has done, in my experience (I've been buying it on and off since 1961). Therefore, I give their interest some weight when it comes to new equipment.

It'll be interesting to see their review of a production model, which is promised, soon.

10-28-2013, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Having a Pentax DSLR featured on the cover is great, but I'm not thrilled by the confinement to "Pentax" when they are talking about a "giant step".

Assuming that you'd want to make the best compliment possible, it basically just means that Pentax were behind and progressed a lot, but have not even caught up with the competition. I would have preferred to read something like "A great choice for photographers" or "A revolutionary concept" (referring to the AA-simulator).

With their synopsis "Could the 24.3-million-pixel K-3 be the camera so many Pentax users have been waiting for? " they continue the theme that the K-3 may only be of interest to existing Pentax users, i.e., is not something that is great on an absolute level and may even be worth changing brands.

I cannot read the article, but I wouldn't be surprised if they failed to point out that the FluCard solution that allows LiveView on a phone or tablet is even better than an articulated screen. It is sad if magazines don't do more than just regurgitate specs.

But overall, it is great to to see the K-3 on a cover, so I'm not complaining (too much).
10-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Read the article in print, but was expecting more of an actual review rather than just a spec regurgitation (which I can get elsewhere and have already seen/read). I've currently got a K5II and am really interested in a K3, BUT what I'd really like as well is a DA* 100-400 type zoom lens (weather sealed!) or a weather sealed teleconverter. I find that the 60-250 is an excellent lens, just a little short at times for shooting sports and I'm worried about keeping things sealed (was out shooting some rugby in horrid weather the other day - the gear was fine though!).
10-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Wow, that's extremely timely for a magazine. Maybe it's just because I buy most of my photo magazines at the grocery store, but I'm used to seeing reviews of cameras 6, 8, even 10 months into it life cycle. By then it's almost time for the new model.
10-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Nice to see. Let's hope it will lure more folk to Pentax.
I actually like the fact that there aren't too many of us Pentax users. Nikon and Canon users often give me that look like they're trying to figure me out. I think they're thinking, "Maybe he knows something I don't."

10-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
I actually like the fact that there aren't too many of us Pentax users. Nikon and Canon users often give me that look like they're trying to figure me out. I think they're thinking, "Maybe he knows something I don't."
!!WE DO!!

Chris
10-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I was at a talk by the AP editor a couple of weeks ago sponsored by Ricoh. He seemed enamoured by the K3. Also liked his Ricoh GR very much