10-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Niiiiice!!!
10-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No protective form around the camera and top?
10-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Stress-testing the AF in my dark office with the 31 Ltd right now.

Verrrry Niiiice.

BTW, no "diopter problem," and I can show a picture of the camera:

10-31-2013, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
No protective form around the camera and top?
Ha ha. Of course I took the packing out to shoot the box-in-a-box...

Good news! The Mestos K-5 arca plate fits perfectly on the K-3.

A few other things:

The processor is MUCH faster than the K-5. Turning on all the distortion, CA, and vignetting correction does not affect the time to shoot and review, even in burst mode. No more "hourglass" for lens corrections (on a DA 35 Macro Ltd), however there is still a "processing" progress bar for in-camera HDR captures. Next, I can auto-bracket 5 shots in raw, and still no waiting. (Of course, I'm using a Lexar Pro UHS-1 card)

Annoyingly (for me at least), there is still now way to have "mirror up" and "exposure bracketing" at the same time (my old Canon bodies did this, and it was great for HDRs). Further, if you choose "Self-timer + Exposure Bracketing" it still puts a 2 second wait in between each bracket if you last used a 2 sec. timer (this is all with "One Push Bracketing" set in Custom functions).

Not sure if this was discussed or detected, but "Movie SR" is in fact mechanical SR. I can hear the magnets moving the sensor... but I don't know if I'll hear it in the video since the little built-in mic hole is further forward now (above the lensmount, not on the top).

Press the "AF Mode" while in Live View or Movie Recording, and big symbols for all the contrast-detect focus modes come up on the back, and naturally, turning the rear dial scrolls between them. Nice! Press it while looking through the viewfinder in (ahem) Stills Mode, and at the bottom of the viewfinder are two displays that show the AF mode (AF.C, AF.A, AF.S) which can be changed with the front dial, and the focus points (Auto, Spot, etc.) with the rear dial. Of course, this is all on the rear LCD as well...

One thing I was most looking forward to - dual SD slots so I can back up while shooting on the job! I've put two identical Lexar Pro 16GB cards in both slots, formatted them both in-camera, and then proceeded to shoot some of my typical raw file HDRs. 5 shots, +-2 ev apart... 8-10 seconds with the camera only semi-responsive...huh? So there's the hourglass! Reminded me of my Sigma DP2 Merrill! It seems (but I'm not sure) that the camera writes all 5 files to one SD card, then when that's done, writes them to the other! Seemed verrrry slow compared to just writing to one SD sot, in fact more than double the time!

Last edited by panoguy; 10-31-2013 at 11:14 AM.
10-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Press the "AF Mode" while in Live View or Movie Recording, and big symbols for all the contrast-detect focus modes come up on the back, and naturally, turning the rear dial scrolls between them. Nice! .
This is awesome. Pentax sure knows how to get it right the first time. They implement AF button and already got it right on the first try

In another universe somewhere, Pentax must be the Apple of cameras.

The processing speed news is really great. I wonder if D7100 is similar at all (I'm guessing not)? In camera correction with no waiting time is perhaps a first for APSC.

I'm not optimistic about it but can someone please check AF speed with a relatively slow SDM lens (DA 55 or DA 50-135)?
10-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I'm not optimistic about it but can someone please check AF speed with a relatively slow SDM lens (DA 55 or DA 50-135)?
Hey, I was just doing that! Compared the DA*50-135 on the K-3 to my K-5, and... sorry, no change - still pokey! On the plus side, my K-3 doesn't need much AF micro-adjustment with this lens.

The only difference seems to be that last little bit of "correction" in focus - they both do it, but the K-3 is much faster (plus it doesn't blink the red AF point over and over like the K-5).
10-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Hey, I was just doing that! Compared the DA*50-135 on the K-3 to my K-5, and... sorry, no change - still pokey! On the plus side, my K-3 doesn't need much AF micro-adjustment with this lens.

The only difference seems to be that last little bit of "correction" in focus - they both do it, but the K-3 is much faster (plus it doesn't blink the red AF point over and over like the K-5).
Well, disappointing, but not unexpected. Does it seem faster with screw-drive? Any quieter motor noise?

10-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Thank you, appreciate that
10-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Thank you, appreciate that
No problem.

BTW, it seems I've said a few negative things about the K-3 (AF with slow SDM is still slow, and writing to two SD cards is slow), but I forgot to say...

"God this is so disappointing! I'm back to square one, and I don't know what I'm gonna do! How much have I invested in Pentax in all these years? I just can't believe any company would ship a camera that can't write to two SD cards at the same time, or improve the focus speed of a 5 year old lens motor! And where is my AA filter bracketing?"

(cough cough, not full frame)
10-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Double check ship date?

QuoteOriginally posted by alcstudios Quote
Yes they are slow, B&H now says ship date is Nov 5th, The U.S cameras are coming by rowboat
My notice from B&H says camera shipped today for delivery on November 5th. Can hardly wait!!!
10-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #87
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mine is here as well. I did some test shots with the FA 50mm 1.4 and DA*300 and everything is working as expected, focus is dead on. I see why DPR thought the AF would be faster, I don't see any big difference over the K20D or K-x for a stationary subject in decent light. I found the same thing with the K-5, they're all about the same at acquiring focus in good conditions. I expect much better performance for tracking vs. my previous Pentaxes, haven't tried that yet.
10-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I expect much better performance for tracking vs. my previous Pentaxes, haven't tried that yet.
Don't forget to check all the Custom Functions for tracking AF (like priority for first shot, next shots, etc.)...
10-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Don't forget to check all the Custom Functions for tracking AF (like priority for first shot, next shots, etc.)...
Yes, I noticed. I set first shot priority and ignored the tracking timer so far. We'll need to pow-wow over various settings, for AF and other things. I'm coming from a K20D and K-x, so there are a lot menu changes.
10-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Yes, I noticed. I set first shot priority and ignored the tracking timer so far. We'll need to pow-wow over various settings, for AF and other things. I'm coming from a K20D and K-x, so there are a lot menu changes.
Sorry to barge in, guys but could you explain a bit more about this "Custom Functions for tracking AF" ... the way I see it is that you can choose to have the first shot behave differently than the next ones .. ? In AF.C you mean ??

That is one very interesting (and confusing) point for me because I had definitely decided that I will order the K3 only if the AF is way ahead of that of the K5.
I am still holding off the order a Henry's actually.

Thanks.

JP