Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
No one yet?
it must be such an amazing camera people can't be bothered with putting it down and posting images and impression on the internet.

10-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With this discussion about DNG files with the K3 ... I was wondering if I will be able to keep using CS5 as my main PP software or will I have to upgrade ??

On another note: I was told the OP is hiding with his K3 ... somewhere ... around the office ?

JP
10-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #48
Veteran Member

If shoot DNG raw files adobe programs should open those cos DNG is adobes own standard or at least developed by adobe
10-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
If shoot DNG raw files adobe programs should open those cos DNG is adobes own standard or at least developed by adobe
I assume you replied to my previous post, right ?

I am just hoping that the files will be just as easy to handle compared to those with my K5 and CS5.

JP

10-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #50
Veteran Member

No one yet?
What is the full question?

(My K-3 arrived about 3 hours ago. I bought it from SRS, in the UK).
10-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote

Sample shots... AF performance, anything beside from "I got it!"

Congratulations though, must be great, that new camera smell...
10-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #52
Pentaxian

You're a bad man Andi, . I'm actually wondering, since i use Aperture and Apple is always the last to update their profiles if I'll even be able to use it. In the past I've always made a point of waiting until the profile is out, which usually saves me a couple hundred dollars.

Last edited by normhead; 10-31-2013 at 09:44 AM.
10-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #53
Pentaxian

I have another question, go you think that this K-3 of yours will be living up to it's hype. Or maybe even more?

I'd really wan't to have one of these in my hands.
10-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I'm going to check AF accuracy and if necessary make Fine Adjustments before I test AF performance. This is my next task.

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I have another question, go you think that this K-3 of yours will be living up to it's hype. Or maybe even more?

I'd really wan't to have one of these in my hands.
I'm pretty confident it will be a useful upgrade to my K-5IIs in nearly all respects; except for one thing:

Having compared high ISO DNGs for the K-3 and the K-5IIs at Imaging Resource, printing them at A3+, I strongly suspect that the K-3 will have worse noise than the K-5IIs above perhaps ISO 6400. Obviously I'll be testing that, and I will publish future observations. I hope I'm wrong, but I saw someone in the PentaxUser forums come to the same conclusion.

I'm sure plenty of people will be testing this over the next week or two.
10-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #55

Photos: Gallery
I want to see a video coming from the K-3. The pentax seems like a good camera. I had the K-5 II for a while, and really loved the picture output most of the time. The only thing I wasn't happy with were with the night videos.
10-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #56

Photos: Albums
I'm going to check AF accuracy and if necessary make Fine Adjustments before I test AF performance. This is my next task.

I'm pretty confident it will be a useful upgrade to my K-5IIs in nearly all respects; except for one thing:

Having compared high ISO DNGs for the K-3 and the K-5IIs at Imaging Resource, printing them at A3+, I strongly suspect that the K-3 will have worse noise than the K-5IIs above perhaps ISO 6400. Obviously I'll be testing that, and I will publish future observations. I hope I'm wrong, but I saw someone in the PentaxUser forums come to the same conclusion.

Ive heard that if you put the K-3 on 16mp it has the same or a little bit better noise performance as the K-5IIs
10-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #57
Pentaxian

I'm sure also that it will be allover in few days even...but that is good thing.

About your upgrade from K-5IIs, It is great to hear, I'm coming from K-7. So it will be better. Let's see about that ISO thing next, real life examples.
10-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reptilezz Quote
Ive heard that if you put the K-3 on 16mp it has the same or a little bit better noise performance as the K-5IIs
I only shoot DNG. I never shoot JPEG.
10-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I only shoot DNG. I never shoot JPEG.
Lightroom/PS output - Resize to 16MP
That will make the noise equivalent.

Alternatively, printing at any equal size will show equal or better noise for the k-3.
10-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Lightroom/PS output - Resize to 16MP
That will make the noise equivalent.

Alternatively, printing at any equal size will show equal or better noise for the k-3.
I tried resizing (to 16 MP) a DNG from the IR site for the K-3 at ISO 51200, and compared the result to a DNG for the K-5IIs at ISO 51200, after first using the same noise reduction parameters in Lightroom. The colour noise from the K-3 is much worse even after resizing.

I printed DNGs from the IR site for the K-3 and K-5IIs at ISO 51200, at A3+. (Without resizing). The noise from the K-3 was much worse at plausible Lightroom parameters. I had to raise the noise reduction for the K-3 to amounts that I consider unreasonable to get a match.

(I don't know if I can recover the degradation caused by the excessive noise reduction for the K-3. Perhaps with practice I can get back to the level of the K-5IIs).

Can you provide evidence that what you say works in practice with these two cameras? Not just in theory?