Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 ii/iis or Pentax k-3 for me

For any of you that have k-5 ii or iis and also bought the K-3!

Can you tell me if the AF is faster on the K-3 then it is on the k-5 ii / iis?
I have been reading up on reviews of the k-5 ii and iis, and so far I am pretty impressed and i THINKING SERISOUSLY on the k-5 ii and iis. The ony thing that would steer me toward the k-3 is faster AF, and that would be about the only thing other even better ISO! Please inform on the AF of the K-3, anybody, after you've had time, of course!

Update: I am changing the heading to Pentax K-3 for me cause of the Pre Production Review, which said the AFon the K-3 is better then the K-5, That was all I wanted to hear, and I look forward to getting my hands on a K-3

Last edited by kricha6431; 10-31-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: updating
10-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
For any of you that have k-5 ii or iis and also bought the K-3!

Can you tell me if the AF is faster on the K-3 then it is on the k-5 ii / iis?
I have been reading up on reviews of the k-5 ii and iis, and so far I am pretty impressed and i THINKING SERISOUSLY on the k-5 ii and iis. The ony thing that would steer me toward the k-3 is faster AF, and that would be about the only thing other even better ISO! Please inform on the AF of the K-3, anybody, after you've had time, of course!
Unless you do a lot of action shooting, the K-5 II should be just fine IMO.

A definitive verdict about the K-3's performance has yet to be made, however, but with the upcoming holiday season I'm sure the K-5 II's will drop under $700.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Unless you do a lot of action shooting, the K-5 II should be just fine IMO.

A definitive verdict about the K-3's performance has yet to be made, however, but with the upcoming holiday season I'm sure the K-5 II's will drop under $700.
thanks Adam!
10-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

if the AF is faster on the K-3 then it is on the k-5 ii / iis?
The K-3 should be faster, based on all the specs. But fast AF isn't just a camera issue.

If you put a lens with a slow focus motor, or long focus throw, or even just poor contrast (eg due to use of a UV filter) on a camera with a fast AF system in the body, the net result may still be slow AF.

Similarly if you shoot a scene with poor contrast in it, even the best camera body may be forced to hunt for something to lock onto. Hence the AF may appear slow. Etc.

There are many potential variables in 'slow' AF. Even a sports camera like the Nikon D4 might have slow AF if certain conditions aren't met.

10-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The ony thing that would steer me toward the k-3 is faster AF
Don't forget the smaller AF points of the K-3.

Regards,
--Anders.
10-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
Don't forget the smaller AF points of the K-3.

Regards,
--Anders.
What do you mean, and why would smaller AF Points matter anyway, as it has a newer af system? please explain your point, please!
10-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What do you mean, and why would smaller AF Points matter anyway, as it has a newer af system? please explain your point, please!
Smaller sized AF points may mean improved precision on where the AF locks.

10-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Smaller sized AF points may mean improved precision on where the AF locks.
that help explain why some are saying the k-3 will be a bit of jump from what previous Pentax Company was able to make! Which may also mean Ricoh is MORE SERIOUS, Thanks
10-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Let's put this scenerio into perspective:
there are 3 or Primes i am looking at, all are F2.8! 1. is the new 35mm HD Macro, 2. is 50mm Macro 3 is 100mm Macro
those are the I am most interested in becaus I like Macro, BUT they can be used for Portrait and other things! How would these as fast or slow AF?
10-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'd say all would be pretty fast. But with macro lenses you sometimes have to be aware of their long focus throw.

Most lens review sites have comments on focus speed and performance. Why not look those lenses up on a site like photozone.de, or browse the lens reviews section on Pentax forums to see what people say about the AF speed of those lenses.
10-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'd say all would be pretty fast. But with macro lenses you sometimes have to be aware of their long focus throw.

Most lens review sites have comments on focus speed and performance. Why not look those lenses up on a site like photozone.de, or browse the lens reviews section on Pentax forums to see what people say about the AF speed of those lenses.

As I discorvered a long time ago with Film Cameras and Macro, it's always best to use Manual Focus anyway far better and faster focus because AF always wanted to hunt, My bad, I don't have my head screwed on right
10-31-2013, 12:11 AM   #12

I'm in the same boat Kricha. I'm very tempted by the K-3 but part of me thinks a K-5 II or IIs would be a good enough upgrade from my K-5, especially considering the price drops that we may see on them. Might be hard to spend double the cash on the K-3 vs a K-5 II.
10-31-2013, 04:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I would have happily bought the Pentax k-5 IIs, but for one thing. When the K-5 II and IIs were released, the price difference in the USA was $100 (about £70), but in the UK, the premium for removing the AA filter was £150, more than twice as much. It wasn't that I couldn't afford it: I wouldn't afford it because it smacked of another "rip off the Brits" scam to me. I had a K-5 and I stuck with that, but I bought a D800 to see what all the FF fuss was about (the 36 MP allows great cropping). So, Pentax lost a sale. Later the price differential narrowed to £120 (still too much in my opinion, but a little better), but by then the K-3 was being strongly rumoured, so I waited. I now have it on order. Now I notice that the difference between the II and IIs has gone back up to £150. Ah, well....
10-31-2013, 05:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeremytheIndian Quote
I'm in the same boat Kricha. I'm very tempted by the K-3 but part of me thinks a K-5 II or IIs would be a good enough upgrade from my K-5, especially considering the price drops that we may see on them. Might be hard to spend double the cash on the K-3 vs a K-5 II.
Me too, I'm deciding between K5IIs, K-3 or D7100 or D600
I hope Adam will give us a helpful buyers guide!
Perhaps we could use some lenses like the 15 and 21 and 35 to judge focus-ability over the 3 aps-c bodies.
I also want to know if that new 86k metering system is worth getting the k3 for, or if 2k ( from the K5) does that same job?
10-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I pre-ordered the silver K-3, and while part of me is wishing it would ship NOW! the other part is happy that it won't ship until the end of Nov. That gives me time to hear from others how big a step up the K-3 is versus the K-5iis. If it's not a huge step, I may cancel my K-3 order, get a K-5iis, and pocket the change. More than pixels of ISO, AF is the biggest thing for me.